flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #28,084 of 39,414
It's getting harder to resist Trailli. How can an IEM get this much praise?? eek, my wallet still winces from recent C9 purchase

How do you like your C9?

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #28,085 of 39,414
Some more NSFW content:

88BB4956-DEE9-4D7F-98F2-FE3FFAB64781.jpeg
71CB0D75-D442-4067-9DED-F1AAC81E9297.jpeg

That’s the best picture of the faceplate I’ve seen. Not to be disrespectful to those that bought the Traillii, but all other photos I’ve seen makes the faceplate look liver colored.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #28,086 of 39,414
How do you like your C9?

I've been loving the C9 with ESX900, the amount of power the C9 outputs is crazy for this headphone. I only need 9 o'clock, balanced, low gain before the loudness becomes fatiguing. I will be testing out my other full-size headphones when I get my custom cables.

Regarding IEM's, I've rediscovered the Sony IERM9 which I've learned responds well to the amplification in C9. I use balanced, low gain and I'm at 10 o'clock or so. The C9 extracts every last drop from this IEM, it's amazing. My other IEM's DUNU Luna and Empire Ear Odin suffer from hiss (even from 3.5mm unbalanced), so I've ordered an IEMatch and that will hopefully clear up the issue.

I love the C9 sound (authoritative, dynamic, touch of warmth) it will be my main desktop amp as well as transport. I'm getting the Schitt Bifrost 2 to pair with C9 for my desktop.

E96DABDE-9409-48B8-9B65-C57C27D813C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #28,087 of 39,414
Can’t imagine if it’s actively browsing :relaxed:

At least with active browsing I've already more-or-less made up my mind that I'm spending $$ and I typically go in looking for something very specific. Passive browsing is when I'm just casually looking around, not for anything in particular, and much more likely to be "inspired" to buy something I don't really need out of boredom.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #28,088 of 39,414
I think we all should make a pedition to Oriolus in Japan to ask a price reduction of Trailli to let's say 4000 USD retail - its such a shame that it is so expensive and for many prohibitive - sad really...
Well I guess they didn’t hear your wish on this one sadly, at least in China! I chatted with the Jaben shop in Shanghai (by the way, I’ve noticed that all Oriolus products in China seem to be labeled Jaben Oriolus. Not sure if it’s the same in western?) And they told me that the Chinese retail price of 42000 CNY ($6500) is gonna be raised to 45000 ($7000) from May 1st... :scream:
Also, the stock for this month is already sold out, so if you want to purchase a set, you need to be on the waiting list for next month... I guess that’s the perfect opportunity to made a customized color version!!! :beyersmile: Finally, it’s seems there’s more people buying it than the 13 owners on the forum... They seem to be very popular in China, I see a lot of guys from the LP6 Ti Wechat group who have them.
Also, they told me that you can actually ask for a 3D print custom fit version for a 2400 CNY ($370) premium, which I wasn’t aware of. I thought they were only universal model.

That’s crazy.
Yes... :D
Actually the original retail price in China is 42000 CNY but the Jaben shop is running a discount until May 1st at 37000 CNY ($5700). Yet, on the second hand market I didn’t see any below 39000... Maybe because of the waiting list to purchase it and the fact that audiophiles are probably not the most patient people on Earth when it’s about new toys acquisition?! :ksc75smile:
You can easily find the cable for a pretty good price though (about $1000).

Sorry to go back to some previous discussions, but could folks who demo-ed or own the Traillii provide some more feedback how it stands out (also in comparison to the Odin)? I am mostly interested in 360 spatial listening. I think this is one of the elements I really do miss with IEMs in comparison to overhead cans, especially the Utopia .... Thanks
If you want a perfect description of the differences between Traillii and Odin, you should check @twister6 review of the Traillii. It’s exactly the way I felt as well and couldn’t explain it in a better way than he did.
Regarding your craving for 360 spatial sound, if that’s really what you’re after, just check the Audeze LCD i4. IMHO nothing can beat it at that game, to this day, in the in-ear world. Traillii is getting pretty close but still doesn’t match it.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #28,089 of 39,414
Rember the Odin hype train. It was practically the second coming. Then the train started to wobble with elevated mids and weaker bass. I’m sure the bird will loose a few feathers too. Personally I would like faceplate options.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #28,090 of 39,414
Rember the Odin hype train. It was practically the second coming. Then the train started to wobble with elevated mids and weaker bass. I’m sure the bird will loose a few feathers too. Personally I would like faceplate options.

MEST too...though a tier below. Last summer it was pretty much touted a Jesus IEM annihilating all before it...then a few months later a small flood appeared on the used market. Not saying something similar will happen here but it's a common trend.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #28,091 of 39,414
I am listening to the Odin right now, and I find the bass splendid. Elevated mids, may be but it is sparkling, not sibilant. What's wrong with the Odin's bass?

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #28,092 of 39,414
Odin can be accused of many things...but weaker bass? Nah, perfect bass response and the best version of a balanced tuning I've heard from an IEM.

I love my bass, Odin wouldn't be part of the collection if it couldn't live up to the task.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #28,093 of 39,414
Odin can be accused of many things...but weaker bass? Nah, perfect bass response and the best version of a balanced tuning I've heard from an IEM.

I love my bass, Odin wouldn't be part of the collection if it couldn't live up to the task.
Agreed. Odin’s bass response is one of the best I’ve heard in an IEM. Sure, it hasn’t got the sheer quantity of bass like LX, but for bass quality/detail/speed, Odin is insane.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #28,094 of 39,414
The Trailli is electrostatic so doesn't it require a different amp?
The Sonion e-stats have a transformer attached to them, so you don’t need a special amp to power them. I believe calling them electrostatic drivers are a bit of a misnomer in the first place. They’re more electrets or something to that effect. I haven’t done any research as to what the difference is, but I’ve decided to just call it electrostats or e-stats for convenience. What it’s called doesn’t critically matter anyway. All that matters is how it performs.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #28,095 of 39,414
I think the fascination with Traillii, at least in this thread, is something else, more than just a hype There is always FOTM iems and the hype train associated with it. When you have a "cheaper" IEM ($1.4k) with unique driver design (DD/BA/EST/Bone Conduction) and fun tuning, there are more reviews/reviewers and more people who take the risk because you can easily sell to upgrade it later - talking about UM MEST. Here, my Traillii review was only the 2nd, with the first one being from a paid customer, actually. And it is not as easy to obtain a review sample due to lack of CanJams and requirement to put a full deposit on it if you want to audition Traillii from MusicTeck. So, the hype is driven purely by customers only who auditioned and bought it right on the spot, with many who are familiar and own other high end IEMs. And I don't even know how they would improve it, unless Oriolus decides to use DD driver instead of 2BAs, but that could ruin its very compact shell design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back