flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #28,096 of 39,414
I think the fascination with Traillii, at least in this thread, is something else, more than just a hype

Time will be the proof in the pudding there. Give it a year and see if the sentiment still holds.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #28,097 of 39,414
Not to be disrespectful to those that bought the Traillii, but all other photos I’ve seen makes the faceplate look liver colored.
Thanks for the remark on the photo. In the defense of all of those, the colour in real life is closer to a darker crimson. It’s surprisingly difficult to capture. The stock photo from the manufacturer is about right in terms of colour (as below) but doesn’t show the sheen and life that the faceplate has. It’s actually very alluring!

10A12FF4-E0D4-4969-B124-1418B721F7EB.jpeg
Personally I would like faceplate options.

They are available. Lots of them actually. But that’s a custom order from them directly or your respective retailer so may took longer as typically just the crimson colour is stocked as default.

A49DFC7E-BAAF-4C44-B4A4-37ED2BFEECC9.jpeg94650E1D-7776-4869-A840-3EF9D8250C71.jpeg878C5340-5A83-491B-8094-B00549409B92.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #28,098 of 39,414
Time will be the proof in the pudding there. Give it a year and see if the sentiment still holds.

... until the next $6k flagship, right? :) I also think when you spend so much money, you are less keen to selling it due to losses being higher, thus I expect people to hold on to their Traillii for a lot longer.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #28,099 of 39,414
I’m about to hit 2 months with the Traillii. I still cannot think of a single thing I’d change about it. From the sound all the way to the build of the IEM. With every other IEM I have heard, including the erlkonig, there is something I can nitpick about or adjust. But it’s just not the case here. Granted my own personal taste comes into play too so I’m sure not everyone will agree, but I just hear it to be that good. Even when I owned the Erlkonig I’d spend random hours with my other IEMs, now they virtually get zero playing time. :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #28,100 of 39,414
the traillii is exciting from my perspective because it sets a new bar for a handful of key sonic traits in iems, namely staging, layering, resolution, and highs.

i suppose this could be debated, but this is what i hear.

coming from the erlky, i'm pretty jaded...but the bird still wows me each time i listen to it.

impressive stuff, indeed.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #28,101 of 39,414
I think the fascination with Traillii, at least in this thread, is something else, more than just a hype There is always FOTM iems and the hype train associated with it. When you have a "cheaper" IEM ($1.4k) with unique driver design (DD/BA/EST/Bone Conduction) and fun tuning, there are more reviews/reviewers and more people who take the risk because you can easily sell to upgrade it later - talking about UM MEST. Here, my Traillii review was only the 2nd, with the first one being from a paid customer, actually. And it is not as easy to obtain a review sample due to lack of CanJams and requirement to put a full deposit on it if you want to audition Traillii from MusicTeck. So, the hype is driven purely by customers only who auditioned and bought it right on the spot, with many who are familiar and own other high end IEMs. And I don't even know how they would improve it, unless Oriolus decides to use DD driver instead of 2BAs, but that could ruin its very compact shell design.
You know, took me too long to figure out what FOTM stood for.

I was convinced it stood for: Fear Of The Marriage

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #28,102 of 39,414
... until the next $6k flagship, right? :) I also think when you spend so much money, you are less keen to selling it due to losses being higher, thus I expect people to hold on to their Traillii for a lot longer.

Does it really count as a $6k IEM if it includes a $2500 cable? Even if you're forced to buying both, still is a $2500 cable so makes the IEM only $3500

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #28,104 of 39,414
The only thing I’d change about the Traillii is the price tag 😜 oh and maybe a nicer box lol.

Seriously though, the Traillii is amazing and stands as the best IEM I’ve heard to date. If I weren’t such a tragic gear hoarder, Traillii would be my sole IEM.

Your gear list isn’t that big 😏

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #28,105 of 39,414
The only thing I’d change about the Traillii is the price tag 😜 oh and maybe a nicer box lol.

Seriously though, the Traillii is amazing and stands as the best IEM I’ve heard to date. If I weren’t such a tragic gear hoarder, Traillii would be my sole IEM.

Do you think there is justification owning Traillii alongside Empire Odin?

Or would I be better served selling Odin? But I love that bass...

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #28,107 of 39,414
Honestly, probably not. The only reason I would say it’s worth holding onto Odin is for the DD bass. But for everything else, Traillii is a step above imo. Traillii’s bass is excellent for a BA setup though :)

Cheers! Much appreciated your honesty! I'd buy you a drink for potentially saving me a ton of cash.

I'll def need to demo it when CanJam starts up again.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #28,108 of 39,414
Does it really count as a $6k IEM if it includes a $2500 cable? Even if you're forced to buying both, still is a $2500 cable so makes the IEM only $3500
Doesn't make it sound any better to me to be honest... :) $2.5k for a cable ..

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #28,109 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back