flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 14, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #22,021 of 39,414
Ohh, okay, I gotcha now. What is it with us and cable barrels and misunderstandings? :D Yeah, I can see what you're getting at. The metal above and below the carbon fibre actually is the same material as the Y-split, but I can see how someone like you would prefer a full titanium barrel on the plug for - as I love to say - perfect visual continuity. :)

Thanks man! :) Yeah, both are very high-performing cables to my ears, but aimed at different listeners with different preferences as well.
Perfect visual continuity - exactly what I am kinda trying to ask cable makers to implement and now I finally have the words for it :D time to go spam other threads with that

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #22,022 of 39,414
So to give myself something to do during lockdown I've decided to go ahead and fix all the tags and album artwork in my library. Aside from using something like mp3tag and going through one by one, is there a quicker way to do it?

With common tags, you can load several items into mp3tag and change genre, which is common. You can remove common tags you don’t want. Anything specific to each album must be done one at a time.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #22,024 of 39,414
So to give myself something to do during lockdown I've decided to go ahead and fix all the tags and album artwork in my library. Aside from using something like mp3tag and going through one by one, is there a quicker way to do it?

It’s old-ish software but I’ve still never found anything better than Tag&Rename for this. Not freeware though

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #22,025 of 39,414

META is great for tag management. https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/

Unfortunately, it's only available for Mac as far as I can tell. But having used many over the years, this one had a quick learning curve and has powerful options to help you get through your folders easily. $20 to purchase with an evaluation period.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #22,026 of 39,414
It’s old-ish software but I’ve still never found anything better than Tag&Rename for this. Not freeware though

I use their freeware Audioshell shell extension for most of my tagging needs including mass editing, I think it's one of my greatest freebie. It doesn't do absolutely all though and I also use Picard for file/folder names to tags and Advanced Renamer for tags to file names.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #22,027 of 39,414
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #22,028 of 39,414
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #22,029 of 39,414
The website is really starting to flesh out with all the content you have been producing (you'd almost think that you're stuck at home. :wink: ). It no doubt has been a lot of work, but looking really good! :thumbsup:

I am trying to keep up I had a bit of a gap lately (review wise but also here on HF) but picking up speed again... strangely being confined didn't help too much so far, lot of work with 7 and 9 years olds at home even if I am working only 3 days a week... also suffered from crippling headaches and I actually spent much less time than usual listening to music generally speaking. Things are better now so I am back :)

I hope I'll have the opportunity to get stuff to review, there is that as well even if right now, I have a dozen things that are waiting for me to review :p

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #22,030 of 39,414
Hey gang, hoping to get a little help from you.
Would love to get quick-and-dirty comparisons of the Anole VX vs U12t...from what I've read so far, they are quite similar. One comment I've read a couple of times is that the treble on the Anole can run a bit hot (and I am learning that I'm a bit sensitive to this sort of sound sig).
Thoughts overall between these two? Thank you.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #22,031 of 39,414

I am trying to keep up I had a bit of a gap lately (review wise but also here on HF) but picking up speed again... strangely being confined didn't help too much so far, lot of work with 7 and 9 years olds at home even if I am working only 3 days a week... also suffered from crippling headaches and I actually spent much less time than usual listening to music generally speaking. Things are better now so I am back :)

I hope I'll have the opportunity to get stuff to review, there is that as well even if right now, I have a dozen things that are waiting for me to review :p
Hope you fully recover from those headaches soon, sounds frustrating. Health is most important and Head-fi comes later... [ducks for cover] :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #22,032 of 39,414
Hey gang, hoping to get a little help from you.
Would love to get quick-and-dirty comparisons of the Anole VX vs U12t...from what I've read so far, they are quite similar. One comment I've read a couple of times is that the treble on the Anole can run a bit hot (and I am learning that I'm a bit sensitive to this sort of sound sig).
Thoughts overall between these two? Thank you.

My take:

I haven't heard the VX in a few months so take that for what it's worth.

Anole VX-- Neutral bright sig, lots of energy in lower mid, upper treble region, stage deep and detailed, highly engaging signature, great bass
u12t-- Neutral warm sig, smooth treble, very detailed, wider stage but not as deep, a little more analytic, more passive/less "in your face" sound

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #22,033 of 39,414
My take:

I haven't heard the VX in a few months so take that for what it's worth.

Anole VX-- Neutral bright sig, lots of energy in lower mid, upper treble region, stage deep and detailed, highly engaging signature, great bass
u12t-- Neutral warm sig, smooth treble, very detailed, wider stage but not as deep, a little more analytic, more passive/less "in your face" sound
very helpful, thank you. broadly consistent with what I've read elsewhere, particularly with the VX and using terms like "bright," and "lots of energy in upper treble"...that's what concerns me, personally, given where I am learning my sensitivities are.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #22,034 of 39,414
very helpful, thank you. broadly consistent with what I've read elsewhere, particularly with the VX and using terms like "bright," and "lots of energy in upper treble"...that's what concerns me, personally, given where I am learning my sensitivities are.

That treble energy was my ONLY issue with the VX. I've heard from some that said energy is alleviated with the deeper fit you get on a custom, but such as it is. I even preferred the bass on the VX overall even though the u12t is more commonly lauded in that regard.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #22,035 of 39,414
I didn’t get the treble peak on the Anole once I tried it with smaller tips that allowed for a deeper insertion

my issue with the Anole is how brutally generic it sounds though, it’s the embodiment of “standard yet technical BA sound” - the U12t has much more character imo, and once you get to that price point there’s so much stuff that’s more exciting and unique than the Anole that I generally don’t understand the hype behind it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back