flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #22,036 of 39,414
I didn’t get the treble peak on the Anole once I tried it with smaller tips that allowed for a deeper insertion

my issue with the Anole is how brutally generic it sounds though, it’s the embodiment of “standard yet technical BA sound” - the U12t has much more character imo, and once you get to that price point there’s so much stuff that’s more exciting and unique than the Anole that I generally don’t understand the hype behind it

I wouldn't call it a peak per se...it just seemed a little too vibrant at times. I would disagree that it sounds generic, at least relative to the u12t, which imho falls more into that category. In fact my only real issue with the u12t when I had it was that whenever I would listen to it I found myself almost immediately reaching for something else a little more exciting/engaging. The u12t is the best IEM I've heard for someone who wants to hear everything in their music while passively listening -- which would be great for a musician on a stage (its intended market) or someone who wanted to listen at work and not have their IEM constantly grabbing their attention. Sometimes uniqueness less important than simply doing everything really well...which imho the Anole VX does, even if isn't very exotic.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #22,037 of 39,414
I wouldn't call it a peak per se...it just seemed a little too vibrant at times. I would disagree that it sounds generic, at least relative to the u12t, which imho falls more into that category. In fact my only real issue with the u12t when I had it was that whenever I would listen to it I found myself almost immediately reaching for something else a little more exciting/engaging. The u12t is the best IEM I've heard for someone who wants to hear everything in their music while passively listening -- which would be great for a musician on a stage (its intended market) or someone who wanted to listen at work and not have their IEM constantly grabbing their attention. Sometimes uniqueness less important than simply doing everything really well...which imho the Anole VX does, even if isn't very exotic.
thanks @Rockwell75 and @mvvRAZ - are these impressions with all tuning switches set to "off"? do your perspectives change at all when adjusting the tuning switches?
thank you again

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #22,038 of 39,414
thanks @Rockwell75 and @mvvRAZ - are these impressions with all tuning switches set to "off"? do your perspectives change at all when adjusting the tuning switches?
thank you again

Yes all switches set to off. I experimented with various settings but ultimately my preferred setting was all switches off.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #22,039 of 39,414
Yes all switches set to off. I experimented with various settings but ultimately my preferred setting was all switches off.
indeed it's the best setting that does not alter thin equilibrium between technicality and musicality.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #22,040 of 39,414
thank you again
Yeah I wasn’t a fan of the switches either

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #22,041 of 39,414
Welll the LPGT has arrived!

On looks and form factor it is plain unbeatable. Both light and small, amazing build quality, and a volume wheel that is to die for.. Also one of the main reasons why I jumped on the LPGT in the first place if I'm to be entire honest :D

Where sound is concerned, I liked it way better than the SP1000M, which has a rather plasticky texture across the board, with even more plasticky bass. It worked well with the Elysium since the Ely can make the midrange texture up with its DD, but with just about everything else - not a chance

The LPGT is I'd say pretty much dead neutral with really good technicalities and a fair bit of power if you want to drive full size headphones. Add a bunch of features to it and you have one awesome DAP!

Compared to the WM1Z.... the 1Z does considerably better with my A18s and the IER Z1R, and is able to provide better texture, better imaging and a similarly high level of detail. The trouble is, the WM1Z makes some stuff practically unlistenable (for example the Elysium) due to its upper treble lift, while the LPGT seems to be a more consistent performer across the board.

To add to that, the LPGT seems to be the perfect DAP if you're into reviewing as it gives you a great idea of what the manufacturer intended so to say, letting the transducer do the driving, while it simply makes sure that the IEM is about as technical as it get. All in all, I'd say I'll be keeping both for the time being. If I had to only choose one I'd probably pick the LPGT due to its higher versatility, but where the WM1Z synergises well it has no second

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #22,042 of 39,414
Apr 17, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #22,043 of 39,414
Yeah I wasn’t a fan of the switches either
Thanks, guys. Took the dive on a pair...arriving Monday. Excited to give them a listen myself. Appreciate the input.

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #22,045 of 39,414
Of Anoles or U12ts? :)
Anoles.
I also want to grab a pair of U12t's to compare.
I know this sounds a bit bizarre, but based on your feedback, the feedback of others, reviews i've read, etc., if I had to place a bet prior to listening to them, I'd guess I'd prefer the U12t, but given the risk/reward it felt reasonable to try the Anole's out (found a used set for a reasonable price; worse case I can re-sell for at breakeven or a modest loss)

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #22,046 of 39,414
Anoles.
I know this sounds a bit bizarre, but based on your feedback, the feedback of others, reviews i've read, etc., if I had to place a bet prior to listening to them, I'd guess I'd prefer the U12t, but given the risk/reward it felt reasonable to try the Anole's out (found a used set for a reasonable price; worse case I can re-sell for at breakeven or a modest loss)
Yeah that’s fair enough - best case scenario is to try them yourself yeah

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #22,047 of 39,414
Anoles.

Cool man...looking forward to your impressions. This seems to be a great time to pick up a VX on the used market as they seem to be going for a few hundred less than when I sold mine last year.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #22,048 of 39,414
Cool man...looking forward to your impressions. This seems to be a great time to pick up a VX on the used market as they seem to be going for a few hundred less than when I sold mine last year.
Thanks and appreciate your help/feedback!

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #22,049 of 39,414
I recently got in some distractions from all the Covid-19 stuff: DITA Dream XLS and FiR Audio M4. I also got in an mmcx DITA Oslo cable that Project Perfection wanted me to try out with the M4, but I had not yet made pictures of that and my "photo studio" (read: attic) has been temporarily converted into a makeshift podcast studio. I have mostly let them burn in and done a bit of listening with the Dream XLS, which I found a little surprising. They are not as warm as I initially expected (coming from the Fealty) and I am perhaps missing a little bit of upper bass to give male vocals more chestiness, while the lower treble lift can make them a little unforgiving for some recordings (I am somewhat sensitive to lower treble anyway). The overall balance though is very nice and it creates an effortless signature that is very easy going, but still maintains an incredible amount of detail in a spacious stage. What struck me most is how rock solid positional information is. I have to do more in-depth comparisons, different music genres and it is early days yet of course, but I like them. Different from what I am used to in a good way. Next week I am going to spend a bit more time with the M4, which seemed to cater a little better to my inner bass head, and I will share impressions of those as well.

_MG_9613.JPG

_MG_9560.JPG

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #22,050 of 39,414
94149280_10163571843610654_1541157754704494592_o.jpg

My endgame ticket to portable paradise-- after scouring the earth high and low for a portable rig to best meet my needs I've landed on: Cayin n6ii + E01 => CFA Solaris SE (with stock cable), EE Legend X + EA Thor II, Large Azla Sedna Eartips, Dignis Arca Case and a lovely Empire Strikes Back tin of backup eartips. Time to settle down for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back