flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #20,731 of 39,414
since we are on the woman/relationship allegory , for the last 2.5 years that i have had my Zeus XR, i feel like a happily married person who has a spouse that keeps me 98% satisfied (i can not say 100% unless i try all TOTL) , while keeping both kidneys and all other important internal organs intact

still i enjoy coming here and reading about all you swingers switching partners(iems) every 3 months looking for that perfect sound

do i feel jealous ? not really.
do i feel at peace ? you bet.
do i feel lucky ? oh yeah.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #20,732 of 39,414
...i feel like a happily married person who has a spouse that keeps me 98% satisfied...
So, don't be selfish now and also try to make your spouse (at least) 98% satisfied.
You know which cable route you have to go, to accomplish that :wink: :smiling_imp: :grin:

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #20,733 of 39,414
Whut? The longer I've been with someone the less I notice their flaws. At the start of a relationship before any emotion has developed I'm hyper critical (and hence, single :D)
Well there is a curve....with peaks. 1.5 years / 5 years / 7 years etc.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #20,734 of 39,414
So, don't be selfish now and also try to make your spouse (at least) 98% satisfied.
You know which cable route you have to go, to accomplish that :wink: :smiling_imp: :grin:

i almost pulled the trigger on a 1960s 2w here FS but someone else beat me to it - patience.

btw if the iem is the wife , then that would make the cable , the maid ? the babysitter ? someone else ? :k701smile:

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #20,736 of 39,414
Was just about to say: Hence the reason you are able to put us all to shame with your head-fi acquisitions. :D
No kids, no family, little desire to travel as I've been to a lot of places already

Result: I'll have a second Elysium please, I like this design better

Life is great :D

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #20,737 of 39,414
No kids, no family, little desire to travel as I've been to a lot of places already

Result: I'll have a second Elysium please, I like this design better

Life is great :D
Awesome! :D

We don't have kids, but my wife is trying to get a pure bred Leonberger soon and so all the money will go there and my life will look like this:
giphy.gif

It has its charm though. :D

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #20,738 of 39,414
Awesome! :D

We don't have kids, but my wife is trying to get a pure bred Leonberger soon and so all the money will go there and my life will look like this:
giphy.gif

It has its charm though. :D
Omg omg don't give me your address or you will have a random dude coming by to play with your dog that's so awesome

I have a Labrador myself, he's my pride and joy

8913590B-AD4A-4D66-9B5F-DD736A7F4615.png

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #20,739 of 39,414
Omg omg don't give me your address or you will have a random dude coming by to play with your dog that's so awesome

I have a Labrador myself, he's my pride and joy

As long as you bring your lab, your welcome! :wink: We have been waiting ten years for a dog now and we might finally get there soon. Can't wait for the pitter patter of (not so) little paws.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #20,740 of 39,414
As long as you bring your lab, your welcome! :wink: We have been waiting ten years for a dog now and we might finally get there soon. Can't wait for the pitter patter of (not so) little paws.
yeah I'm pretty sure nothing about the paws of your doggo will be little :D

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #20,742 of 39,414
Definitely Headfonia, wouldn't say so about THL... Daniel and the rest of the team have (IMHO) been quite upfront and critical about loads of product flaws.

Tbh they're hard to even count, the majority of websites are practically advertising platforms

How do you think I can afford my signature :D :D
:zipper_mouth: Didn't you write a review for THL?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #20,743 of 39,414
:zipper_mouth: Didn't you write a review for THL?
Guest review sure - the reason why I approached them to write a guest review was because I liked that they weren't just another hype train

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #20,744 of 39,414
So my problem is for example, Dream XLS, there have been a couple of reviews/first looks and everyone has appeared to gloss over the horrible fit issues. I love the sound but to try to maintain the sound for an extended period is darn near impossible. The fit has only slightly, if at all, improved from the original. I know Daniel hasn't completed a final review so I am sure it will be mentioned.

The sound quality is very good, with quality bass transients. The fit is a real issue. This is the sort of useful information consumers need, not wordsmithing.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #20,745 of 39,414
So my problem is for example, Dream XLS, there have been a couple of reviews/first looks and everyone has appeared to gloss over the horrible fit issues. I love the sound but to try to maintain the sound for an extended period is darn near impossible. The fit has only slightly, if at all, improved. I know Daniel hasn't completed a final review so I am sure it will be mentioned.

The sound quality is very good, with quality bass transients. The fit is a real issue. This is the sort of useful information consumers need, not wordsmithing.
I agree.

My Fourte Noir had a defective faceplate, where it was slightly bent upwards. If you look at Daniel's review of the Noir you'd see that that was included, without me having mentioned it to him specifically

Users who are viewing this thread

Back