flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #20,746 of 39,414
So my problem is for example, Dream XLS, there have been a couple of reviews/first looks and everyone has appeared to gloss over the horrible fit issues. I love the sound but to try to maintain the sound for an extended period is darn near impossible. The fit has only slightly, if at all, improved. I know Daniel hasn't completed a final review so I am sure it will be mentioned.

The sound quality is very good, with quality bass transients. The fit is a real issue. This is the sort of useful information consumers need, not wordsmithing.

Yep, coming soon. I've been juggling lots of different reviews lately to keep myself from getting bored writing about one product. The side-effect to that is they're all collectively taking longer to finish. :D Regardless, the XLS one is the closest to being finished, and I will talk about its fit in it as well. To spoil it somewhat, I do consider it the weakest aspect of the XLS. While I had much greater luck maintaining the fit than you did - then again, I did listen to it while mostly stationary, and never took it out and about - getting a good fit itself proved quite the ordeal. I often found myself pressing the in-ear's metal chassis against my skin to get the nozzle to lock in, which I wasn't too fond of. Again, it'll be in the review, which isn't far off now.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #20,748 of 39,414
i am in quest to find the best iem. i look for warm and musical organic sound,
i may consider also the spiral ears s6e
and vision ears iems.
any direction to go?
SE6 is not warm or "organic", it has a very high-fit transparent sound. Maybe SE5 ref. VE8 goes in that direction but not too much, it is well balanced. Dita P71 but impossible to find. Tralucent Plus5.2, to be confirmed as I only heard it ounce. Sony ier M9

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #20,749 of 39,414
and vision ears iems.
any direction to go?

Custom Art's FIBAE 7 is a great option for that sorta sound, even though it leans slightly towards balanced and transparent as well. I'm currently ordering myself an SE 4-Way Ultimate, so I should be able to comment on how it sounds within the next month or so.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #20,750 of 39,414
Custom Art's FIBAE 7 is a great option for that sorta sound, even though it leans slightly towards balanced and transparent as well. I'm currently ordering myself an SE 4-Way Ultimate, so I should be able to comment on how it sounds within the next month or so.
OH cool super curious to know about SE5. I am hesitating to buy another pair of SE5 réf as I miss the warmth.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #20,751 of 39,414
and vision ears iems.
any direction to go?

Look to the EM10, that's what you look for!

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #20,752 of 39,414
Whole-heartedly agree about the Dream XLS. Love the sound and have zero complaints there, but fit is only great if I lie in a dark corner of the house, after the kid, wife and dog have gone to bed and I've taken some sort of medication that paralyzes me from the neck down. Other than that I love it. Currently experimenting with cables to augment the fit, but it seems like I just need to make a headband for them, or go to the extreme:

images.jpeg

-Collin-

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #20,753 of 39,414

@Wyville was right!

and vision ears iems.
any direction to go?
That road you're going has a long way. You'll need company. If you'd hear my advice, look for an ASUS K401 and maybe Custom Art FIBAE 7. The best IEM won't sound true without a good source. Good luck on your quest! :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #20,754 of 39,414
btw if the iem is the wife , then that would make the cable , the maid ? the babysitter ? someone else ? :k701smile:

Wife's sister? :p

Funny thing happened to me at work today. Couldn't be bothered to put any music on (normally have music on to block the noise out). Just wasn't feeling it. No idea if it's because of this thrice cursed cold/cough/whatever it is that stops me using c/iems properly (nice blocked ears since end of october, joy. Every time I go to get them sorted the cold flares again. Can't get my ears sorted until the cough clears up, but cough won't clear up until my ears do) and am stuck with sony noise cancellers. Made me appreciate the isolation though even though I wasn't wearing them. Sometimes forget just how much noise they do block out!

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #20,755 of 39,414
Wife's sister? :p

Funny thing happened to me at work today. Couldn't be bothered to put any music on (normally have music on to block the noise out). Just wasn't feeling it. No idea if it's because of this thrice cursed cold/cough/whatever it is that stops me using c/iems properly (nice blocked ears since end of october, joy. Every time I go to get them sorted the cold flares again. Can't get my ears sorted until the cough clears up, but cough won't clear up until my ears do) and am stuck with sony noise cancellers. Made me appreciate the isolation though even though I wasn't wearing them. Sometimes forget just how much noise they do block out!

i read somewhere that we need some time of complete silence every day to let the mind rest , i try to do it every now and then as i also get ear fatigue rom music/people around me

i use my ciems on the subway and it's amazing how much noise/chatter they shut out , if you put them on with some music, the noise disappears and it feels like a scene from a movie when you just see images and music plays in the background

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #20,756 of 39,414

Those are just so darn cute! We will visit the breeder soon. They are trying to breed again, so we might have our timing just right. :D

Been spending a lot of time with the PAW6000 over the last few days and I am so impressed by it in every way. Well... almost, because I am having some issues with the USB and Bluetooth DAC functions. Other than that it is such a well-rounded DAP in terms of sound, build quality, UI, battery life (not quite Sony, but I still get around 15 hours). Definitely prefer it over the Android DAPs I reviewed recently (M11, M11 Pro). The PEQ also works really well.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #20,757 of 39,414
I wouldn't recommend the Sony M9, it's not particularly warm and it is super boring...like a more lifeless Andromeda with better fit and clarity...really great fit though.

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #20,758 of 39,414
Been spending a lot of time with the PAW6000 over the last few days and I am so impressed by it in every way. Well... almost, because I am having some issues with the USB and Bluetooth DAC functions. Other than that it is such a well-rounded DAP in terms of sound, build quality, UI, battery life (not quite Sony, but I still get around 15 hours). Definitely prefer it over the Android DAPs I reviewed recently (M11, M11 Pro). The PEQ also works really well.

Yeah I am with you there, I love it as well... I was surprised by a few things, it's more organic than I would have figured or rather it doesn't get in the way of organic sounding IEMs :p It's so nuanced and subtle, refined! Form factor is definitely great as well pocket friendly and doesn't get as warm as N6ii.

BT DAC is working fine with the iPhone XS Max, I know LDAC is not working but Lotoo is working on a fix (for people with android smartphones). USB DAC didn't try.

As many have said, it's quite neutral and transparent, it's very obvious :
  • when cable rolling the character of the cable (so to speak) is much more obvious than any DAP I owned before
  • IEMs signatures are much easier to pick up on as in with other DAPs the signature is similar but less "pure" if that makes any sense things are easier to pick out. Qualities stand out more and faults as well. I get why LP6K and LPGT are praised by reviewers this is going to make my life easier

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #20,759 of 39,414
Yeah I am with you there, I love it as well... I was surprised by a few things, it's more organic than I would have figured or rather it doesn't get in the way of organic sounding IEMs :p It's so nuanced and subtle, refined! Form factor is definitely great as well pocket friendly and doesn't get as warm as N6ii.

BT DAC is working fine with the iPhone XS Max, I know LDAC is not working but Lotoo is working on a fix (for people with android smartphones). USB DAC didn't try.

As many have said, it's quite neutral and transparent, it's very obvious :
  • when cable rolling the character of the cable (so to speak) is much more obvious than any DAP I owned before
  • IEMs signatures are much easier to pick up on as in with other DAPs the signature is similar but less "pure" if that makes any sense things are easier to pick out. Qualities stand out more and faults as well. I get why LP6K and LPGT are praised by reviewers this is going to make my life easier
What I really like about it is that while it is a neutral DAP, it also has a really dynamic sound. It seems to drive my IEMs really well and then just gets out of they way saying... "Here you go, enjoy your IEMs to the fullest".

I still need to figure out what is causing the DAC problems because I suspect it might have to do with my ancient MacBook Pro. The BT DAC is great and I would really like to get that to work smoothly, but I have been having issues getting the PAW6000 to pair with my Mac. Maybe I need to play some Barry White in the background? :D

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #20,760 of 39,414
Didn't try with the MacBook Pro... did you update firmware to latest?

Indeed reference but not boring this PAW6000... I even find it organic with the right IEMs... can't wait to get my F7 back (loaned them) to test on the Lotoo...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back