flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #20,356 of 39,414
thanks for letting me know, but here is where i am a bit concerned for my own preference, as you see I own quite alot and I have tons of tips more than some would imagine, and have alot of sources, but please accept my critique, to me the blon is not at all in my league of even a remotely good tuned iems, its not about price for me, look at angie to me they nailed it. and its among the cheapest i own, but please again accept my opposition to say the blon is good for its price, even for its price i would not listen to it and I tried everything tips , sources, and everything to just join members who hail it so high as if it was the best thing after bread. To me this huge difference is perception of what is good, great or perfect is what can make some not happy after they get a product that is not up to the cheer behind it. And here comes the biggest factor of what everyone preferences are

That being said, you made me really interested to give imr rah a try and i will report back

Think you nailed it with the preference thing. That being said, there are multiple members (myself, David and at least two others I know if) who have a fair number of "TOTL" IEMs, and the Rah are still getting good press, so hopefully that should indicate there is some substance to the praise. They won't be right for everybody, but given the price, they do a lot more right than they do wrong.

By the way, In a HUGE fan of the Angie - it's the only IEM I've ever repurchased after selling. :wink:

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #20,357 of 39,414
Think you nailed it with the preference thing. That being said, there are multiple members (myself, David and at least two others I know if) who have a fair number of "TOTL" IEMs, and the Rah are still getting good press, so hopefully that should indicate there is some substance to the praise. They won't be right for everybody, but given the price, they do a lot more right than they do wrong.

By the way, In a HUGE fan of the Angie - it's the only IEM I've ever repurchased after selling. :wink:
then my friend compare angie to rah and let me see how close i will perceive that comparison , lets have some fun :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #20,358 of 39,414
Cross-posting here with some ItsFit Fusion impressions and comparisons since I see them pop up in this thread a lot...

Okay, finally some Fusion impressions and comparisons now that I have had them for a couple days. Overall, highly impressed with the sound, especially respective of their price. They are also tied for the most comfortable universal IEMs I have ever owned (tied with Oriolus Percivali, but I prefer the sound of these).

The overall sound signature is pretty neutral, but with that dynamic driver sweetness and a very impressive treble sparkle. I am really, really impressed with the treble actually. I've heard most of the new-fangled technologies (electret, piezo, etc.) and these are up there with the best. But let's start with the bass...

Bass is impactful, very controlled, nice layering and texture and a healthy sub-bass focus rather than mid-bass. The bass reminds me a little bit of the Noble Khan, but with slightly less quantity and a little more reserved in character. Mid-bass is punchy and clean with zero bloat. It's a fast bass, impressively fast for a DD I think. Vocals sound pleasingly natural and are slightly forward with nice presentation. No complaints about the vocals. These IEMs really shine with guitar tracks and live stuff - they just sound so natural to my ears. SRV "Mary Had a Little Lamb" really makes that guitar sing, love it. Again treble sparkle is right where I like it with reassuring cymbal crashes, but no sibilance even up into the highest registers. I prefer these to any estat earphone I have heard in the treble department, but of course I have not heard the Elysium.

Comparisons...

Noble Katana: bass digs deeper on the Fusion and moves more air with the DD. The Katana has a punchier, faster mid-bass with a little more warmth, but Fusion is the sub-bass king here. I still consider the bass very fast and precise on the Fusion, but only when compared directly to the super nimble Katana does it sound a tad slower. Not a bad thing of course. Mids are a little more clear and natural on the Katana, with the Fusion having more warmth around the edges of the notes. Katana is pretty flat in its reproduction of the frequencies where Fusion is seasoned well with curves here and there :) Lower treble sounds similar, but the Fusion seems to excel into the upper registers with more energy and sparkle. Neither have any sibilance and the Fusion is the more fun of the two, but I love both IEMs equally. The Fusion is, impressively, half the price and the more comfortable for my ears. TL;DR Katana is more neutral throughout the range and more natural, Fusion is a little warmer, more musical and has the better extension at the extremes.

Rhapsodio Zombie mk2:
I thought this would be an interesting comparison because...I have no idea why, but why not? Zombie mk2 is a single DD with two estat tweeters and I have absolutely no idea what the crossover situation is, if there even is one, because Sammy's spec sheet is actually just a napkin with scribbles on it that he set his cup of tea on and now cannot read it. Bass on the Zombie mk2 is noticeably accentuated compared to the Fusion, going deeper, rumbling harder and slamming into the lows with powerful authority. Fusion is not bass-light, but let's just say it sits shyly in the corner of the room until the Zombie is done with its bass act. Into the mids, the Zombie is more forward, but thinner and a less natural tonality. The Fusion vocals sound better to my ears; a more "correct" sound. Zombie is quite v-shaped and sadly I think the mids are paying the tax on that tuning choice. Into the treble, Zombie is thicker and smoother, but both are highly extended and provide a lot of sparkle. Fusion sounds faster, more precise and a little more lean, but Zombie has the smoothness crown with those estats. I love both. TL;DR Zombie is a musical, fun and powerful sound that laughs at the neutrality of the Fusion, while Fusion is more natural, balanced and mayyyybe portrays a higher sense of technicality and resolution.

Again, I am really impressed with the Fusion. I think it can absolutely compete with the big dogs in many areas and at the current price it is a great deal. If you can get it on sale again, it is a no-brainer. I also want to mention that the artwork of the shells is ridiculously beautiful in this price segment. Finally, the sound is very easy to listen to and love, the comfort is off the charts and now that (hopefully) shipping and delivery issues are sorted out, I think this will absolutely be a winner of 2020.

-Collin-

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #20,359 of 39,414
then my friend compare angie to rah and let me see how close i will perceive that comparison , lets have some fun :)

That would have to be from memory, as I sold it again last year. :wink:

They aren't overly similar in tuning, but the Rah did have a bigger stage if In remembering correctly. Mids are more emphasised on the Angie, whereas the Rah has a bigger bass both in terms if quantity and quality. Can't remember the Angie treble well enough note to comment on the differences.

Detail strikes me as similar between both, with the Rah possibly shading it, but without an actuary A/B that is again ask just from memory.

Hope that helps?

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #20,360 of 39,414
@davidmolliere - just ordered the PBOne (soecial edition of the Rah) - want to hear what that additional 2mm on the planar driver does to the mids. 15mm DD and a 12mm planar - almost getting into over-ear territory! Guessing my Rah will be up for sale once the One arrives, but planning on enjoying it until then!

How do you think the Rah compares to the Itsfit Fusion?

so is the PBone supposed to be better than rah?

I just want to order an imr iem, me personally I adore mids but the bass and highs shpuld not be sacrificed, so you think PBone would be better than rah

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #20,361 of 39,414
That would have to be from memory, as I sold it again last year. :wink:

They aren't overly similar in tuning, but the Rah did have a bigger stage if In remembering correctly. Mids are more emphasised on the Angie, whereas the Rah has a bigger bass both in terms if quantity and quality. Can't remember the Angie treble well enough note to comment on the differences.

Detail strikes me as similar between both, with the Rah possibly shading it, but without an actuary A/B that is again ask just from memory.

Hope that helps?
thanks ok now I got to know which model from imr would suit me the best, what is the deal with PBone and what expectations are anticipated from it compared to the pricier rah

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #20,362 of 39,414
Rest in peace, Neil Peart, drummer extraordinaire.
neilpeart450sabian.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #20,367 of 39,414
Yep just got my custom M5 today!
Pictures and impressions! As a fan of the Fourte I’m rather excited to hear more about this one from you.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #20,368 of 39,414
Cross-posting here with some ItsFit Fusion impressions and comparisons since I see them pop up in this thread a lot...

Okay, finally some Fusion impressions and comparisons now that I have had them for a couple days. Overall, highly impressed with the sound, especially respective of their price. They are also tied for the most comfortable universal IEMs I have ever owned (tied with Oriolus Percivali, but I prefer the sound of these).

The overall sound signature is pretty neutral, but with that dynamic driver sweetness and a very impressive treble sparkle. I am really, really impressed with the treble actually. I've heard most of the new-fangled technologies (electret, piezo, etc.) and these are up there with the best. But let's start with the bass...

Bass is impactful, very controlled, nice layering and texture and a healthy sub-bass focus rather than mid-bass. The bass reminds me a little bit of the Noble Khan, but with slightly less quantity and a little more reserved in character. Mid-bass is punchy and clean with zero bloat. It's a fast bass, impressively fast for a DD I think. Vocals sound pleasingly natural and are slightly forward with nice presentation. No complaints about the vocals. These IEMs really shine with guitar tracks and live stuff - they just sound so natural to my ears. SRV "Mary Had a Little Lamb" really makes that guitar sing, love it. Again treble sparkle is right where I like it with reassuring cymbal crashes, but no sibilance even up into the highest registers. I prefer these to any estat earphone I have heard in the treble department, but of course I have not heard the Elysium.

Comparisons...

Noble Katana: bass digs deeper on the Fusion and moves more air with the DD. The Katana has a punchier, faster mid-bass with a little more warmth, but Fusion is the sub-bass king here. I still consider the bass very fast and precise on the Fusion, but only when compared directly to the super nimble Katana does it sound a tad slower. Not a bad thing of course. Mids are a little more clear and natural on the Katana, with the Fusion having more warmth around the edges of the notes. Katana is pretty flat in its reproduction of the frequencies where Fusion is seasoned well with curves here and there :) Lower treble sounds similar, but the Fusion seems to excel into the upper registers with more energy and sparkle. Neither have any sibilance and the Fusion is the more fun of the two, but I love both IEMs equally. The Fusion is, impressively, half the price and the more comfortable for my ears. TL;DR Katana is more neutral throughout the range and more natural, Fusion is a little warmer, more musical and has the better extension at the extremes.

Rhapsodio Zombie mk2:
I thought this would be an interesting comparison because...I have no idea why, but why not? Zombie mk2 is a single DD with two estat tweeters and I have absolutely no idea what the crossover situation is, if there even is one, because Sammy's spec sheet is actually just a napkin with scribbles on it that he set his cup of tea on and now cannot read it. Bass on the Zombie mk2 is noticeably accentuated compared to the Fusion, going deeper, rumbling harder and slamming into the lows with powerful authority. Fusion is not bass-light, but let's just say it sits shyly in the corner of the room until the Zombie is done with its bass act. Into the mids, the Zombie is more forward, but thinner and a less natural tonality. The Fusion vocals sound better to my ears; a more "correct" sound. Zombie is quite v-shaped and sadly I think the mids are paying the tax on that tuning choice. Into the treble, Zombie is thicker and smoother, but both are highly extended and provide a lot of sparkle. Fusion sounds faster, more precise and a little more lean, but Zombie has the smoothness crown with those estats. I love both. TL;DR Zombie is a musical, fun and powerful sound that laughs at the neutrality of the Fusion, while Fusion is more natural, balanced and mayyyybe portrays a higher sense of technicality and resolution.

Again, I am really impressed with the Fusion. I think it can absolutely compete with the big dogs in many areas and at the current price it is a great deal. If you can get it on sale again, it is a no-brainer. I also want to mention that the artwork of the shells is ridiculously beautiful in this price segment. Finally, the sound is very easy to listen to and love, the comfort is off the charts and now that (hopefully) shipping and delivery issues are sorted out, I think this will absolutely be a winner of 2020.

-Collin-

‘Glad to hear your Fusion bout finally got a happy ending. :D These are awesome impressions, and I look forward to your full review in the future, I’m sure. :wink:

I never looked into this brand. This one is not cheap.

It’s a brand started by one of the Belonozhko brothers; the guys behind 64 Audio. They’re certainly on the rise, and I can see them being potential frontrunners once all the dust settles.

By the way, Mim, what’re you doing all the way in Shirakawa-go, mate? :p

F80AD1C0-0861-435F-BF2A-91EE56CABC97.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back