flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #20,341 of 39,414
u sold the legend x super fast, i expected it
Yeahhh it just doesn’t have the kind of treble I need to make the experience enjoyable :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #20,342 of 39,414
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #20,343 of 39,414
go get an angie
I’ll give it a try but proprietary connectors make my skin crawl :D

maybe though, we’ll see. I’m getting the plunge audio unity 5 next

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #20,345 of 39,414
Jan 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #20,346 of 39,414
This meetup is going to be epic for sure! I was just packing as well...Yes, there are still trains despite the never ending strikes.... I managed to find fuel for both my scooter and the car, quite a challenge right now as the strikes also affect fuel supply lines...

Totally other subject...

6FFC0AAD-A2B3-469B-B7A1-478C38F23F08.jpeg

I received IMR Rah today and I must say this is definitely a very impressive IEM, and tribrid done right with 15mm dynamic the bass is massive with superb control and few aside from Solaris or Legend X can compete here, the 10mm planar for mids is doing a mighty fine job, very articulate with an accurate timbre and a speed that is quite something, and its the first time I hear a piezoelectric treble driver done right aside from R2 Aten which I auditionned quickly and was pretty good as well. The coherence is mighty impressive as well and the semi open nature of the Rah puts it closer to LCD i4 soundstage than your regular IEM while providing better clarity and transparency. Value for money is, in my opinion, stellar. You'll hear about Halcyon in march for sure :p

E3D1BDB7-F9C0-4860-B61F-9E549F628366.jpeg

I must add that customer service has been nothing short of superb (how many do you know who refund you part of the shipping fee because the carrier overextends his guaranteed delay without you even asking...).

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #20,347 of 39,414
Hey hey, any Noble-bashing has to be done on the Noble thread so you can get burned at the stake :)

Just to play devil's advocate here, which companies "guarantee" their sockets with any and all third-party cables? From personal experience, not Empire Ears, Earsonics or Hyla.

-Collin-

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #20,348 of 39,414
This meetup is going to be epic for sure! I was just packing as well...Yes, there are still trains despite the never ending strikes.... I managed to find fuel for both my scooter and the car, quite a challenge right now as the strikes also affect fuel supply lines...

Totally other subject...

I received IMR Rah today and I must say this is definitely a very impressive IEM, and tribrid done right with 15mm dynamic the bass is massive with superb control and few aside from Solaris or Legend X can compete here, the 10mm planar for mids is doing a mighty fine job, very articulate with an accurate timbre and a speed that is quite something, and its the first time I hear a piezoelectric treble driver done right aside from R2 Aten which I auditionned quickly and was pretty good as well. The coherence is mighty impressive as well and the semi open nature of the Rah puts it closer to LCD i4 soundstage than your regular IEM while providing better clarity and transparency. Value for money is, in my opinion, stellar. You'll hear about Halcyon in march for sure :p

I must add that customer service has been nothing short of superb (how many do you know who refund you part of the shipping fee because the carrier overextends his guaranteed delay without you even asking...).
u know that is very interesting

are the mids detailed and not recessed

been quite interested in imr iems, but was worried of hype factor, like for example, the huge hype with chifi iems were some say the blon is a great tuned iem. i threw it away for someone else than me to enjoy as its utter crap

so you say there is no hype going on with imr rah

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #20,349 of 39,414
u know that is very interesting

are the mids detailed and not recessed

been quite interested in imr iems, but was worried of hype factor, like for example, the huge hype with chifi iems were some say the blon is a great tuned iem. i threw it away for someone else than me to enjoy as its utter crap

so you say there is no hype going on with imr rah

Another Rah fan here, and I'd back the "no hype" claim. These things are VERY good, and insanely good for their price.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #20,350 of 39,414
Another Rah fan here, and I'd back the "no hype" claim. These things are VERY good, and insanely good for their price.
and is the halcyon supposed to better than rah

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #20,351 of 39,414
@Sound Eq As usual your mileage may vary... I mean back when I reviewed the Solaris lots of people considered it hype... since then it has become a respected classic I believe :p

I didn’t know there was a Rah hype, in fact I am surprised it doesn’t get talked about much but then again it’s a 200 units limited build as all IMR iems... but yes sure it had a strong thread with people who love it including some like me who have quite a few TOTL also.

In this market a great iem with a decent price inherently has greater value for money for the market has gone a bit crazy we kind of loose track of that. So yes I believe the Rah is for real and no I certainly wouldn’t say the mids are recessed. That’s on black lower / blue upper filter. I haven’t toyed much with filter yet.

Now I got the BL-03 recently to check out the hype and to me they’re not trash. But if I didn’t have custom silicon tips I simply wouldn’t have been able to have a fit the stem is way too short. Tuning is pretty good IMHO and performance is quite good for the price or could easily cost 3/4 times and be good value. The Paradox of the BLON in my opinion that it needs a source that can power them correctly and it doesn’t make sense given their price.

I think tuning will be different and estats will probably bring something interesting to the upper treble. We’ll see...

Semper is the one that I really look forward to end of year

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #20,353 of 39,414

According to Bob (IMR main man), it's different rather than better or worse. Same 15mm beryllium DD and piezo, but with a dual estat tweeter instead of a 10mm planar. He mentioned it did find more detailed in the top end, but the Rah didn't lack clarity or resolution, so guessing it's more of a different flavour of the IMR house sound.

It also has an additional tuning port on the driver casing as well as the tunable nozzles - you can switch the IEM from closed through semidamped to open, which will affect the driver response.

Bottom line is, these are batch builds in small numbers so no one has heard the model and probably won't prior to the delivery date, so it's a little bit of a Kai if faith, but if the Rah is anything to go by, it could well pay off.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #20,354 of 39,414
@Sound Eq As usual your mileage may vary... I mean back when I reviewed the Solaris lots of people considered it hype... since then it has become a respected classic I believe :p

I didn’t know there was a Rah hype, in fact I am surprised it doesn’t get talked about much but then again it’s a 200 units limited build as all IMR iems... but yes sure it had a strong thread with people who love it including some like me who have quite a few TOTL also.

In this market a great iem with a decent price inherently has greater value for money for the market has gone a bit crazy we kind of loose track of that. So yes I believe the Rah is for real and no I certainly wouldn’t say the mids are recessed. That’s on black lower / blue upper filter. I haven’t toyed much with filter yet.

Now I got the BL-03 recently to check out the hype and to me they’re not trash. But if I didn’t have custom silicon tips I simply wouldn’t have been able to have a fit the stem is way too short. Tuning is pretty good IMHO and performance is quite good for the price or could easily cost 3/4 times and be good value. The Paradox of the BLON in my opinion that it needs a source that can power them correctly and it doesn’t make sense given their price.

thanks for letting me know, but here is where i am a bit concerned for my own preference, as you see I own quite alot and I have tons of tips more than some would imagine, and have alot of sources, but please accept my critique, to me the blon is not at all in my league of even a remotely good tuned iems, its not about price for me, look at angie to me they nailed it. and its among the cheapest i own, but please again accept my opposition to say the blon is not even good for its price, even for its price i would not listen to it and I tried everything tips , sources, and everything to just join members who hail it so high as if it was the best thing after bread. To me this huge difference in perception of what is good, great or perfect is what can make some not happy after they get a product that is not up to the cheer behind it. And here comes the biggest factor of what everyone preferences are

I think saying something is good for its price is not any good idea, as tuning is tuning, and the blon tuned horribly. There are cheap products that are tuned great, but of course not the blon and that is in my books. Please accept this as an opinion and nothing else as i am not here to pick up fights. When someone says its tuned good for its price, then it has to have a good tuning as the word "good " got associated to tuning. It like when I go buy some kind of food and its cheap but its tasty despite being cheap, so even if its cheap the concensus would find it
That being said, you made me really interested to give imr rah a try and i will report back

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #20,355 of 39,414
@davidmolliere - just ordered the PBOne (soecial edition of the Rah) - want to hear what that additional 2mm on the planar driver does to the mids. 15mm DD and a 12mm planar - almost getting into over-ear territory! Guessing my Rah will be up for sale once the One arrives, but planning on enjoying it until then!

How do you think the Rah compares to the Itsfit Fusion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back