flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #20,311 of 39,414
I can feel the disappointment...
The irony is that in the end I ended up getting the E2000 as well because I wanted to use them for training and black felt the better choice. :p
Hey, folks! ‘Wanted to drop by with some impressions from my latest visit to e-earphone Japan. Because I was in vacation mode, I didn’t write any of these impressions down on the spot, nor did I take any fancy photos. So, while I’ll always take the time to make sure my impressions are reliable no matter the brevity, I’d nevertheless recommend you take these with a grain of salt, considering I’m writing them from memory based on quick listens. Without further ado, here they are!

Final Audio A8000: These were the first ones I listened to as per @EagleWings request. But, unfortunately, I didn’t end up liking them all too much. While technical performance was good with the prerequisite amounts of definition, stereo separation and stage expansion, I did find its timbre a tad too light; insubstantial, at times. Vocals didn’t have the strongest foundation, because of a lack of presence around 1-2kHz. And, ultimately, I didn’t find the midrange full-bodied, vivid or dynamic enough to come off natural. This did end up tainting my experience as a whole, so I didn’t spend too much time on them before moving on. Personally, I found the fuller, warmer E4000 far more enjoyable. But, as always, your mileage may vary.

Campfire Andromeda Q4 and MW10: I then moved onto the Japan-exclusive Campfire Audio models. I was recommended the Q4 by @ranfan, and I did find it quite enjoyable. It had a fun, all-round signature not unlike the classic Lime Ears Aether, and it worked well with a variety of genres. Like the majority of Campfire’s efforts, it had great clarity, openness and definition, but without the brightness that - say - the Andromeda has, for example.

While I’d planned to initially, I didn’t end up purchasing it, because I found the two dips in its FR a hair too noticeable for my tastes. The first was at 4kHz, which gave vocals a tight, compact shape, and neutral positioning. It also gave the high-mids a slightly drier timbre. While you’d usually compensate for that neutrality by adding energy and articulation in the treble, the Q4’s was on the more forgiving side, which left lead instruments less punchy and present than I’d like.

Forgot to take a photo of them. Whoops.

That leniency up top came from the Q4’s second dip at 6kHz. In exchange for making basically all recordings sound great on these IEMs, it gave cymbals and hi-hats a slight case of diffuseness. S’s began to sound like F’s, for example. So, while I can certainly see tons of people enjoying this signature - especially those who love forgiving clarity, and don’t mind neutrally-positioned vocals - it didn’t gel with my preferences enough for me to spend on it.

Afterwards, I gave Campfire’s Andromeda MW10 a brief listen as well. While I don’t entirely remember what the OG sounded like, I found this variant rather bright in tone; almost incoherently so. Tonally, I quite preferred the Q4 over it.

intime Sora Light: Wow, talk about a surprise! The Sora had quite the extraordinary bass response; meaty, punchy, clear and dynamic; all in equal measure. It’s probably one of the mot pleasurable low-ends I’ve heard in recent memory, and a part of me wishes someone could take that DD and low-pass it to put in all IEMs. :p I kid. The rest of the Sora also came off pleasingly organic, natural and refined, which allowed me to give it quite a bit of my time. While it’s certainly not top-flight in terms of resolution, stage expansion or definition, I imagine it’d be an excellent choice if you were looking for a fun, casual-listening sort of IEM, or if you wanted a bass-emphasised complement to your analytical in-ears. For the price, I think it’s a steal, and I can’t wait to see what else intime put out in the future.

qdc Fusion: Tonally, qdc’s hybrid Fusion - unexpectedly - became my favourite of the day. Despite its hybrid configuration, it wasn’t bass emphasised by any means. Rather, it had quite a neutral, balanced signature with qdc’s signature blend of midrange solidity and top-end sparkle. Though, I felt the top-end was more refined and silky on this model, which made it sound more linear and natural (and less balls-to-the-wall fun) than their Anole VX or Gemini, for example. The Fusion is a model I wish to revisit in the future, and I think it has great potential within the price range.

JH Audio Jimi: I was very pleasantly surprised to see JH Audio’s brand-new Jimi available to demo at e-earphone, and - upon listening to it - I found its signature equally as surprising. The Jimi was a thick, dark, gooey-sounding IEM with a very noticeable treble shelve. The in-ear dipped quite massively past 8kHz or so, which is what gave it its distinctly-coloured sound. The treble did extend quite capably - so cymbal tails and overtones were deftly resolved - and they’re super-cleanly refined as well without any sort of diffuseness, which is impressive. There certainly wasn’t any roll-of, per se, but those higher frequencies were relegated to the very, very back of the mix because of that strong upper-treble dip.

Its midrange was rather forward-sounding as well; fat, saturated and intimate. Combined with that top-end shelve not providing the greatest amount of headroom, you will get quite a warm, full-sounding and gluey soundscape with very little air between images or between layers. It’s a sig where everything sorta congealed into one cohesive mass, for better or for worse. So, if you found the Layla or EE Phantom already too dark for your tastes, the Jimi will be even more so. But, if you want a very forgiving, vocal-emphasised sound with a thick, dark tone, you’d most probably enjoy it.

Westone ES70: Finally, I got to hear the universal demo for Westone’s brand-new ES70, which became my 2nd favourite listen of the day. Like the Fusion, it had a well-balanced, neutral tonality, but it also sported greater extension, resolution and stereo separation. It’s definitely up there from a technical standpoint, and I could see its viability as a professional tool. From bottom-to-top, images sported great texture and nuance, and its top-end in particular straddled between smoothness and clarity really nicely. The only colouration I detected was a slightly recessed upper-midrange; between 3-4kHz. It’s the typical upper-mid dip used to boost definition and headroom. Female vocals and snare drums may not project as powerfully as they could, but it’s a well-implemented colouration at the end of the day that never perturbs or takes away.

Forgot to photo these as well. -_-

That’ll be it for today’s earphone round-up! If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be enjoying the rest of my Japan trip, and I should be back with new content on THL very soon. :wink: Cheers! :D
Great impressions my friend!

Shame the A8000 might not be quite there in terms of timbre, but I am still very curious about them. Hopefully more impressions will be available soon.

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #20,312 of 39,414
Just landed in Tokyo, hope I can make it to e-earphone before I leave!

Gotta pick up some AET07 and Spiral Dot++ tips at the very least.

Haha, just left Tokyo for Takayama a couple hours ago. ‘Got myself a few pairs of Spiral Dot ++, Symbio and Sedna tips before I did. :wink:

The irony is that in the end I ended up getting the E2000 as well because I wanted to use them for training and black felt the better choice. :p

Great impressions my friend!

Shame the A8000 might not be quite there in terms of timbre, but I am still very curious about them. Hopefully more impressions will be available soon.

Thanks! Yeah, I was pretty disappointed considering how much I loved the E4000, but - as always - I’d love to revisit them under different circumstances in the future. Maybe my vacation brain was messing things up.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #20,313 of 39,414
Hey, folks! ‘Wanted to drop by with some impressions from my latest visit to e-earphone Japan. Because I was in vacation mode, I didn’t write any of these impressions down on the spot, nor did I take any fancy photos. So, while I’ll always take the time to make sure my impressions are reliable no matter the brevity, I’d nevertheless recommend you take these with a grain of salt, considering I’m writing them from memory based on quick listens. Without further ado, here they are!

Final Audio A8000: These were the first ones I listened to as per @EagleWings request. But, unfortunately, I didn’t end up liking them all too much. While technical performance was good with the prerequisite amounts of definition, stereo separation and stage expansion, I did find its timbre a tad too light; insubstantial, at times. Vocals didn’t have the strongest foundation, because of a lack of presence around 1-2kHz. And, ultimately, I didn’t find the midrange full-bodied, vivid or dynamic enough to come off natural. This did end up tainting my experience as a whole, so I didn’t spend too much time on them before moving on. Personally, I found the fuller, warmer E4000 far more enjoyable. But, as always, your mileage may vary.

Campfire Andromeda Q4 and MW10: I then moved onto the Japan-exclusive Campfire Audio models. I was recommended the Q4 by @ranfan, and I did find it quite enjoyable. It had a fun, all-round signature not unlike the classic Lime Ears Aether, and it worked well with a variety of genres. Like the majority of Campfire’s efforts, it had great clarity, openness and definition, but without the brightness that - say - the Andromeda has, for example.

While I’d planned to initially, I didn’t end up purchasing it, because I found the two dips in its FR a hair too noticeable for my tastes. The first was at 4kHz, which gave vocals a tight, compact shape, and neutral positioning. It also gave the high-mids a slightly drier timbre. While you’d usually compensate for that neutrality by adding energy and articulation in the treble, the Q4’s was on the more forgiving side, which left lead instruments less punchy and present than I’d like.

Forgot to take a photo of them. Whoops.

That leniency up top came from the Q4’s second dip at 6kHz. In exchange for making basically all recordings sound great on these IEMs, it gave cymbals and hi-hats a slight case of diffuseness. S’s began to sound like F’s, for example. So, while I can certainly see tons of people enjoying this signature - especially those who love forgiving clarity, and don’t mind neutrally-positioned vocals - it didn’t gel with my preferences enough for me to spend on it.

Afterwards, I gave Campfire’s Andromeda MW10 a brief listen as well. While I don’t entirely remember what the OG sounded like, I found this variant rather bright in tone; almost incoherently so. Tonally, I quite preferred the Q4 over it.

intime Sora Light: Wow, talk about a surprise! The Sora had quite the extraordinary bass response; meaty, punchy, clear and dynamic; all in equal measure. It’s probably one of the mot pleasurable low-ends I’ve heard in recent memory, and a part of me wishes someone could take that DD and low-pass it to put in all IEMs. :p I kid. The rest of the Sora also came off pleasingly organic, natural and refined, which allowed me to give it quite a bit of my time. While it’s certainly not top-flight in terms of resolution, stage expansion or definition, I imagine it’d be an excellent choice if you were looking for a fun, casual-listening sort of IEM, or if you wanted a bass-emphasised complement to your analytical in-ears. For the price, I think it’s a steal, and I can’t wait to see what else intime put out in the future.

qdc Fusion: Tonally, qdc’s hybrid Fusion - unexpectedly - became my favourite of the day. Despite its hybrid configuration, it wasn’t bass emphasised by any means. Rather, it had quite a neutral, balanced signature with qdc’s signature blend of midrange solidity and top-end sparkle. Though, I felt the top-end was more refined and silky on this model, which made it sound more linear and natural (and less balls-to-the-wall fun) than their Anole VX or Gemini, for example. The Fusion is a model I wish to revisit in the future, and I think it has great potential within the price range.

JH Audio Jimi: I was very pleasantly surprised to see JH Audio’s brand-new Jimi available to demo at e-earphone, and - upon listening to it - I found its signature equally as surprising. The Jimi was a thick, dark, gooey-sounding IEM with a very noticeable treble shelve. The in-ear dipped quite massively past 8kHz or so, which is what gave it its distinctly-coloured sound. The treble did extend quite capably - so cymbal tails and overtones were deftly resolved - and they’re super-cleanly refined as well without any sort of diffuseness, which is impressive. There certainly wasn’t any roll-of, per se, but those higher frequencies were relegated to the very, very back of the mix because of that strong upper-treble dip.

Its midrange was rather forward-sounding as well; fat, saturated and intimate. Combined with that top-end shelve not providing the greatest amount of headroom, you will get quite a warm, full-sounding and gluey soundscape with very little air between images or between layers. It’s a sig where everything sorta congealed into one cohesive mass, for better or for worse. So, if you found the Layla or EE Phantom already too dark for your tastes, the Jimi will be even more so. But, if you want a very forgiving, vocal-emphasised sound with a thick, dark tone, you’d most probably enjoy it.

Westone ES70: Finally, I got to hear the universal demo for Westone’s brand-new ES70, which became my 2nd favourite listen of the day. Like the Fusion, it had a well-balanced, neutral tonality, but it also sported greater extension, resolution and stereo separation. It’s definitely up there from a technical standpoint, and I could see its viability as a professional tool. From bottom-to-top, images sported great texture and nuance, and its top-end in particular straddled between smoothness and clarity really nicely. The only colouration I detected was a slightly recessed upper-midrange; between 3-4kHz. It’s the typical upper-mid dip used to boost definition and headroom. Female vocals and snare drums may not project as powerfully as they could, but it’s a well-implemented colouration at the end of the day that never perturbs or takes away.

Forgot to photo these as well. -_-

That’ll be it for today’s earphone round-up! If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be enjoying the rest of my Japan trip, and I should be back with new content on THL very soon. :wink: Cheers! :D
Why did they have to murder the Jimi treble tho :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #20,314 of 39,414
Why did they have to murder the Jimi treble tho :frowning2:

They are a stage musician brand that pays in the audiophile space - that's always a possibility with any models they put out.

@Deezel177 - did the Jimi remind you of the Diana? Loving the rich mids on that, and wondering if the Jimi is the next level up along that particular tuning path?

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #20,315 of 39,414
They are a stage musician brand that pays in the audiophile space - that's always a possibility with any models they put out.

@Deezel177 - did the Jimi remind you of the Diana? Loving the rich mids on that, and wondering if the Jimi is the next level up along that particular tuning path?

It doesn’t. The Diana is still quite a bit more articulate with channels of space between its notes, however large and meaty they may be. Part of its magic is the contrast between its rich midrange and its articulate treble. The Jimi doesn’t have the latter part of that contrast. Its instruments sounded (quite literally) melted together with a dark, thick, liquidy (almost gloopy) timbre. You can certainly still make out where and what each element is, but it doesn’t necessarily define where one ends and the other begins. Even with the bass completely attenuated, the timbre still remained so. I’m not saying it’s bad by any means, but it’s definitely catered towards a certain audience. I’ll say that.

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #20,316 of 39,414
Feel kinda sad seeing Elysiums. Had to send mine back. Still no updates from @Vision Ears

Hi steamboiled,

I am sorry for that. We are still waiting for the unit to be shipped to us from your reseller, as we can only check it once it is on our desk.
What I can promise is that it will be processed directly when it arrives.

All the best from Cologne,

Johannes

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #20,317 of 39,414
The irony is that in the end I ended up getting the E2000 as well because I wanted to use them for training and black felt the better choice.
I myself got a pair because my girl and I are long distance and I wanted to hear what she hears when we share music with each other. And also because they’re cheap.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #20,318 of 39,414
Anyone have any experience with the AME Radioso?

I'll soon be able to chip in as part of the Âme Tour :) courtesy of the great guys at AudioPrimate, @glassmonkey and @Jackpot77 :beers:

Image d’iOS (115).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #20,320 of 39,414
Nice! What beautiful faceplates! I love polish on their logos too

One of them is flashier than I like (Radioso) but yes the build is very nice.

For those who wonder...

Radioso
  • Single Low Frequency Dynamic Driver
  • Single Mid Frequency Balanced Armature Driver
  • Quad High and Super High Frequency Electrostatic Tweeters
  • Three Way Crossover Network
Argent
  • Dual Low Frequency Balanced Armature Drivers
  • Single Mid Frequency Balanced Armature Driver
  • Single High Frequency Balanced Armature Driver
  • Dual High and Super High Frequency Electrostatic Tweeters
  • Four Way Crossover Network
Bravado (seems retired from their website)
  • One dynamic driver
  • 3 Balanced armature

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #20,321 of 39,414
It doesn’t. The Diana is still quite a bit more articulate with channels of space between its notes, however large and meaty they may be. Part of its magic is the contrast between its rich midrange and its articulate treble. The Jimi doesn’t have the latter part of that contrast. Its instruments sounded (quite literally) melted together with a dark, thick, liquidy (almost gloopy) timbre. You can certainly still make out where and what each element is, but it doesn’t necessarily define where one ends and the other begins. Even with the bass completely attenuated, the timbre still remained so. I’m not saying it’s bad by any means, but it’s definitely catered towards a certain audience. I’ll say that.
Deezel

This is not part of the Aion series? So far the Layla and the Angie(I think was the other announced) are the only two from that correct? How was the fit of the Jimi?

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #20,322 of 39,414
Deezel

This is not part of the Aion series? So far the Layla and the Angie(I think was the other announced) are the only two from that correct? How was the fit of the Jimi?

No, that’s just the universal demo with the same shell shape as the AION IEMs (Layla II and Roxanne; not Angie). The fit was great; a tad wide - as in, horizontally - but I had no problems achieving a perfect seal.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #20,323 of 39,414
New toy arrived
D47B341D-E2FD-437B-B213-813CAD2C9581.jpeg

things i'm most impressed with:
-form factor
-subbass depth and extension
-vocal/fundamentals timbre
-laidback detail presentation
-dynamics
things i'm not impressed with
-misread files (numerous)
-the ui (though I find it a quite charming to look at)
-not being able to play files on the internal sd card via bluetooth like a chord mojo (unless I actually can and I just need to figure it out)
-not being able to change volume with the screen off

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #20,324 of 39,414
got my hands on an jhaudio angie, this is an outstanding iem, the sound stage is huuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggeeeeeee, how can i form now even say an iem has a great sound stage after hearing angie. This is the only iem that I feel has real sound stage from everything I ever heard in iem factor
mids perfect
bass great for me at 6 oclock dialed in

how on earth did i not look into jhaudio before , this literally feels as if i am listening to headphones

when in hong kong i demoed layla i did not like its mids, but man the mids on angie are perfect

really surprised by angie like totally surprised. nothing form what i own ever sounds as grand as angie in terms of sound signature, sound stage, headphone like, rich tonality. Its dam out standing, makes me question all my iems currently, yes i love khan, but man angie is a different level of sound and stage and experience in iem format that does not sound like an iem at all. Due to this i ordered Lola and roxanne to add them to my collection.

also got my hands on calyx m, man that is the best sounding dap period sound wise, it has so much dynamics as if i am listening to a transportable dac amp and not a dap. I even decided to buy a spare calyx m as this dap simply puts all my daps to shame sound wise, yes it sucks in ui, battery but who cares. 3 hours of absolute music bliss is more worthy to me than daps that lack dynamics. The sound signature of calyx m, is absolute bliss, organic, rich , full , detailed and musical, just wow

wow those products so old and they in my book are among the best i ever heard, this proves old products can sound miles ahead of even totl new products.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #20,325 of 39,414
New toy arrived

things i'm most impressed with:
-form factor
-subbass depth and extension
-vocal/fundamentals timbre
-laidback detail presentation
-dynamics
things i'm not impressed with
-misread files (numerous)
-the ui (though I find it a quite charming to look at)
-not being able to play files on the internal sd card via bluetooth like a chord mojo (unless I actually can and I just need to figure it out)
-not being able to change volume with the screen off

Yes, you can play audio from microSD card. It's a DAP after all, just with a rather limited GUI which can get frustrated since it's not a touch screen display, only navigation buttons a touch. And that is one of the reason it could be more efficient to control it wireless as BT DAC/amp paired up with another dap (like this small ap80) or your smartphone.

hifiman_r2r2k_red-x02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back