flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 12, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #20,386 of 39,414
Artist fit or audiophile fit? Must admit to be tempted by the audiophile fit, but that $1500 puts me off. Also think I'd cry if I got fit issues after spending that much!

Also no one seems to talk much about Cosmic Ears much these days.
I think I’d like the artist fit better... all my customs fit pretty well and none do the short nozzle

Cosmic’s stuff look nice, but given all the tech available companies that work with only pure BA configs just feel to me like they lack innovation imo

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #20,387 of 39,414
I think I’d like the artist fit better... all my customs fit pretty well and none do the short nozzle

Cosmic’s stuff look nice, but given all the tech available companies that work with only pure BA configs just feel to me like they lack innovation imo

Custom Art would like a word :p

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #20,388 of 39,414
I feel like the best sweetspot would be at $1000-$1500 for a new pair of customs. Fibae 7, A6t, Alclair Electro, and let's not forget the Fusion. Above that, the returns diminish quite sharply imo. I know I would be happy with the Fibae 7 or the A6t as my last iems, and wouldn't think for a second that I can get tons more resolution for more. The only monitors I would begin considering would be monsters like the A18t, Elysium, the VE8, or the Erlkonig

seeing a trend with me liking Vision Ears... still too expensive for me though...
Hmmm I'd say a bit higher than that. But at that price point I've just ordered the Plunge audio Unity 5, pretty curious about it

The thing about the Fusion is... It's not a bad IEM, and it's a great one at its price point, but compared to the actual big players, like the VE8, A12t, 18t, Elysium and so on, I just found its midrange to be heavily lacking. I might get the custom Andromeda to compare it to, as that's the only 1500ish earphone that I genuinely loved
interesting find, i might take a plunge and get one too or the unity 7.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #20,389 of 39,414
interesting find, i might take a plunge and get one too or the unity 7.
They make some breathtaking stuff. I think I’m getting mine next week and I can tell you how it is :) I was told the unity 5 is more neutral, while the unity 7 (and the soon upcoming 8) are rather warm, with crazy subbass

I’m not saying they aren’t innovative, it’s more of a personal feeling I get when looking at the lineup for example. The way some people don’t like sonion electrets you know :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #20,390 of 39,414
I feel like the best sweetspot would be at $1000-$1500 for a new pair of customs. Fibae 7, A6t, Alclair Electro, and let's not forget the Fusion. Above that, the returns diminish quite sharply imo. I know I would be happy with the Fibae 7 or the A6t as my last iems, and wouldn't think for a second that I can get tons more resolution for more. The only monitors I would begin considering would be monsters like the A18t, Elysium, the VE8, or the Erlkonig

seeing a trend with me liking Vision Ears... still too expensive for me though...
At that kind of price, also throw in the fir m3 as an alternative to the a6t

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #20,391 of 39,414
Good point there! I think the Black are among the most innovative IEMs in recent times and those are single BA. I think that irrespective of liking the signature or not, most people will acknowledge they are outstanding technical performers at their price point.

I am keeping a tentative eye on the Equinox, btw. I like the option of an audiophile fit with a very short stem and aside from FitEar, I don't know any company other than Campfire Audio that offers it.
I’m not saying they aren’t innovative, it’s more of a personal feeling I get when looking at the lineup for example. The way some people don’t like sonion electrets you know :)
Personally, I love a well done single DD IEM and so I quite naturally look at innovation in a different way. That said, I think Cosmic Ears primarily focuses on the professional market and so they might not be that tempted to get involved with all the gimmickry we audiophiles are so easily impressed by. :D

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #20,392 of 39,414
Good point there! I think the Black are among the most innovative IEMs in recent times and those are single BA. I think that irrespective of liking the signature or not, most people will acknowledge they are outstanding technical performers at their price point.

I am keeping a tentative eye on the Equinox, btw. I like the option of an audiophile fit with a very short stem and aside from FitEar, I don't know any company other than Campfire Audio that offers it.

Personally, I love a well done single DD IEM and so I quite naturally look at innovation in a different way. That said, I think Cosmic Ears primarily focuses on the professional market and so they might not be that tempted to get involved with all the gimmickry we audiophiles are so easily impressed by. :D
It all depends on what you’re looking for of course

Given my crazy treble needs for example, well implemented electrostats are a blessing

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #20,393 of 39,414
They make some breathtaking stuff. I think I’m getting mine next week and I can tell you how it is :) I was told the unity 5 is more neutral, while the unity 7 (and the soon upcoming 8) are rather warm, with crazy subbass
Awesome I'll wait then! Problem is their universal line is coming soon!

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #20,395 of 39,414

But you did say they aren't innovative...

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #20,397 of 39,414
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #20,398 of 39,414
big players, like the VE8, A12t, 18t, Elysium
To me, the big boys in the industry are nearly uncompromising in their perfection depending on what they aim for. But I think there are still merits to the lower price points. In particular the A6t, to me, has a more adequate amount of energy compared to the relaxed and laidback A12t. Though it might not be as great at tonality and timbre, I think most listeners would be more happy with the A6t compared to the A12t. As for the Fibae 7, though its upper treble is rolled off, it gives me a greater sense of air than the A12t, which at times can have too dark a background, lacking in sense of space.

Okay this is more of a, "me griping on the things I think could be better with the A12t" post, but I still think there are merits to the lower price point.

a18t and the bois.jpg

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #20,400 of 39,414
It all depends on what you’re looking for of course

Given my crazy treble needs for example, well implemented electrostats are a blessing
Check out the Rhapsodio Galaxy V2 if you ever get the opportunity. Single DD with an outstanding bass and they are absolute treble monsters, seems like they would be well worth a demo for you. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back