flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #20,416 of 39,414
Michael from Dune Blue is fantastic person. Got my U12T and HifiMan Arya from him. He also gave me a brand new U12T when the one I had started having faults and 64 audio wanted to repair them, but he just got it replaced. Was talking to him about getting the Heddphone, but @toranku gave his impression and I'll probably stick with buying a flagship iem instead. Saw the pics of the meet up on his fb page, great work!! We'll have one here in Denmark and Fir Audio is going to be there. My hands are itching to get the M5 in universal but some said the customs are better with the atom modules instead which improves thw bass quite a bit. And the dealer in Denmark is charging a bit more for M5 than the US price!! @davidmolliere and @MrLocoLuciano between M5 and M4, which would you choose?

Yes he is a great guy definitely, no questions there.

As I said, I would go for M4 personally, it's fuller bodied and smoother overall the M5 has a more energetic treble delivery at least the universal demo does with my silicon custom tips should be close to the custom but still different I guess and keep in mind there is no module so pressure relief and the different module sure change things for the custom M5.

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #20,418 of 39,414
Yes he is a great guy definitely, no questions there.

As I said, I would go for M4 personally, it's fuller bodied and smoother overall the M5 has a more energetic treble delivery at least the universal demo does with my silicon custom tips should be close to the custom but still different I guess and keep in mind there is no module so pressure relief and the different module sure change things for the custom M5.
Thanks David! Does the treble of M5 get too fatiguing over time?

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #20,420 of 39,414
Thanks David! Does the treble of M5 get too fatiguing over time?

I wouldn't make any conclusion from a universal demo really, I am betting the issue would be non existing with the M5 custom, but I stand by what I said the M5 has a more energetic delivery than the M4 to me. It was beyond my treble sensitivity from N6ii/E01 and DX160.

I didn't feel M5 had such a resolution edge over M4 really, just more emphasis on details so maybe perceived as such.

But at this price point, I would be buying the Elysium a question of personal preference and Elysium mids are just too unique...

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #20,422 of 39,414
I could see for some people it being too much, it has a lot of energy but I think it is so well done. It’s the most impressive treble presence I have heard since I first heard Tia treble.

I am fairly certain than the ATOM module would be a deal changer there so custom M5 would probably not be an issue

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #20,423 of 39,414
Mofasest Trio Review
I posted a while back on my first impression of the Mofasest Trio. After reviewing the Trio, I am really impressed and it is definitely an IEM gem with good implementation of DD, BA & EST. Brilliant sound. Having heard more expensive IEMs that use similar drivers combination, the Mofasest Trio hit it out of the ballpark with a satisfying listen and without a flagship pricing. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #20,424 of 39,414
I am fairly certain than the ATOM module would be a deal changer there so custom M5 would probably not be an issue

I believe the universal M5 I demo’d had the -13 atom installed in it, when I got my customs they came with the M15 installed. With the M15 the treble is masked a bit more by the extra bass presence but I immediately swapped it out for the -13 as I loved the top end. :) So you are probably right.

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #20,425 of 39,414
Pinged Simon at Plunge Audio for a recommendation, let's see what he says. His pricing his quite competitive though!!

I am rather planning to do what you're saying, get a high-end flagship that does well in all or most areas and settle down for a while instead of buying in the 1000-2000 range and upgrading few months!!
At first I thought his prices are quite high but then I realized it’s Canadian $, which really changed the picture haha

I also agree... honestly I spent a lot of money on stuff that barely gets or got listened to while upgrading and making my way to TOTL land. It does depend on what satisfies you of course, but if the elysium has been amongst my first purchases I wouldn’t have gotten a lot of stuff

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #20,426 of 39,414
Can only agree and share that.
Great moment with too many things to listen to.

I point out a few things I liked very much on my Sony WM1Z K Mod Ultimate.
- Ambient Acoustics : MAD16 and MAD24 (stock cable), incredible mids and coherency
- FIR Audio : M5 and M4 (stock cable), great intensity
- MMR : Balmung (stock cable), What
- Sony : IER-Z1R (stock cable), just smooth and detailed

Was also able to listen to a few cables : Effect Audio Code 51, Eletech Iliad and Plato, PlusSound X8 Tri Copper.
Level of details is insane on all, and background is really dark with special prize going to Iliad for me on this.
On sound side, just a matter of pairing and preferences, but all cables work just so nicely.
With Jomo Trinity, Plato was incredible giving so much on the mids and refinement.
With Ambient Acoustics, I'll go for PlusSound, for the tone and pace.
With M5, Illiad was just great, bringing more air in the game.
On build and ergonomic side, winner prize goes to Eletech, with Code 51 as a runner up. But all 4 cables are really impressive.
Will probably keep my PW1950 for a while, but got ideas for the future !

Really a nice gathering, happy to meet Paris community again and so lucky to be able to meet Amin, Marcel and Oliver from VE.
What were your impressions on the Balmung?

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #20,427 of 39,414
I guess one good thing about the M5 with two pin adapters is that I can cable roll to my heart’s delight and not worry about the sockets! If I order it I will probably need to order 15 sets of adapters though :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #20,428 of 39,414
I guess one good thing about the M5 with two pin adapters is that I can cable roll to my heart’s delight and not worry about the sockets! If I order it I will probably need to order 15 sets of adapters though :)

Why do you need more than one? You can keep the adapters attached to your M5 and then just plug whatever cables you want into them? Unless I’m missing something :p

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #20,429 of 39,414
Interesting comments on M5 now that more people have listened to them. My main issue with them was the somewhat in-your-face presentation and average stage/separation. Just wondering if anyone else felt that way.

Also regarding the 2pin adapter, it made the cable stick up too high and was not very ergonomic.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #20,430 of 39,414
Why do you need more than one? You can keep the adapters attached to your M5 and then just plug whatever cables you want into them? Unless I’m missing something :p

Because I fully intend to wear out the 2-pin side of the adapter! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back