flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #20,448 of 39,414
Mid-range ? For me 1900$ is already TOTL price, not mid-range...

1900 is more like, the midrange of the TOTL price range imo

Usually once you go 1000/1500++ you're already in the TOTL brackets

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #20,449 of 39,414
1900 is more like, the midrange of the TOTL price range imo

Usually once you go 1000/1500++ you're already in the TOTL brackets
i think its time to upgrade your dap

i think I am done for a long time, I got also jhaudio Lola, jhaudio is winning me over

I have on the way now as well roxanne.

The stage u get with jhaudio makes all my iems sound small in stage in comparison

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #20,450 of 39,414
i think its time to upgrade your dap
To what tho? :D

I tried the SP2000 but I didn't find any significant improvement, and it was still far behind the Hugo 2 (mostly in terms of midrange performance)...

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #20,451 of 39,414
To what tho? :D

I tried the SP2000 but I didn't find any significant improvement, and it was still far behind the Hugo 2 (mostly in terms of midrange performance)...
oh u use hugo2 then there is no dap upgrade for u, only calyx m for a different signature but that is not an upgrade more of a side grade. As to me calyx sounds better than any of my daps, its the best signature period for me . YMMV

I had sp2000 sold it
I had sp1000m sold it
I had hugo2 sold it
I have ibasso dx220 nah its just meh

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #20,452 of 39,414
oh u use hugo2 then there is no dap upgrade for u, only calyx m for a different signature but that is not an upgrade more of a side grade. As to me calyx sounds better than any of my daps, its the best signature period for me . YMMV

Is the Calyx M really that good? Interesting.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #20,453 of 39,414
oh u use hugo2 then there is no dap upgrade for u, only calyx m for a different signature but that is not an upgrade more of a side grade. As to me calyx sounds better than any of my daps
The Hugo 2 is such godmode... I tried it in a store in Dubai and was left speechless. The dude then gave me a massive discount, was so happy

The only trouble is that it is a bit too powerful for a lot of stuff like the 64/Noble IEMs, but in those cases I use the RME ADI 2. With the Elysium the synergy is insane

I've been considering an IEMatch, maybe that can help but I'm worried about it messing up the sound quality

I'll have a look at the Calyx, thanks for the suggestion :)

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #20,454 of 39,414
Is the Calyx M really that good? Interesting.
all my friends who heard calyx here are now buying it from jaben singapore

for bout 500 usd it beats in my books all the daps I tried

Its a joke price for such a sound , yes anything besides its sound sucks ( UI, battery, no wifi )

But its sound makes all those not important

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #20,456 of 39,414
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #20,458 of 39,414
Aw :frowning2: so unfortunate, doesn't work for me then
yeah

I am on a mission to find the same sound but with streaming :) , but so far I gave up, which means I might buy a spare calyx just in case, and have to deal with transferring my music manually to calyx. Until there is a dap like calyx sound I am not buying and keeping any dap. So I might buy new daps but those will end up getting sold after I compare them to calyx

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #20,459 of 39,414
I have been hard to upgrade my RME since it does so much for the price, and it drives the Arya, which are hard to drive, so damn well with a lot of headroom left still.

But DX220 with the new modified AMP8Ex for me is amazing, plus when i pair it with Oriolus BA300S, it just elevates everything by quite a margin using the balanced out. So with DAPs now im good for a while.

I do have an eye for a trasportably, i'll check around for Hugo2 locally if i can get a used one! Although I have been considering the Woo Audio WA11 topaz for a while now!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #20,460 of 39,414
I have been hard to upgrade my RME since it does so much for the price, and it drives the Arya, which are hard to drive, so damn well with a lot of headroom left still.

But DX220 with the new modified AMP8Ex for me is amazing, plus when i pair it with Oriolus BA300S, it just elevates everything by quite a margin using the balanced out. So with DAPs now im good for a while.

I do have an eye for a trasportably, i'll check around for Hugo2 locally if i can get a used one! Although I have been considering the Woo Audio WA11 topaz for a while now!
For a cheap $250, get the smsl sp200 and prepare to hear angels xD. Honestly the rme is amazing for iems but not so much for full size. The sp200 is also amazing with iems, just used it to audition the fir audio lineup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back