flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,966 of 39,414
SAMBA SURVIVES ANOTHER DAY :fist:
And let's not forget that 1BA 'Giant Slayer' :grin:

Btw, good to know that Nic (also) used a well burned-in WM1Z + Dream for his review :thumbsup:
Well, there goes my #4 prediction...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,970 of 39,414
giphy.gif
?
Is anybody keeping track of the score btw? :D

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,971 of 39,414
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,972 of 39,414
I guess the real winner of this whole thread is Warbler. It's safe to say that it is the best totl iem when it comes to value, and probably overall sound coherency. Can't wait to see its bass score, I kinda hope it's <80, which means that it scores higher than expected in other areas. A small shout-out to Final Audio for doing the 1BA totl before it was cool, these people know what's up.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,974 of 39,414
I guess the real winner of this whole thread is Warbler. It's safe to say that it is the best totl iem when it comes to value, and probably overall sound coherency. Can't wait to see its bass score, I kinda hope it's <80, which means that it scores higher than expected in other areas. A small shout-out to Final Audio for doing the 1BA totl before it was cool, these people know what's up.

I know, right? The fact that it's still in means it has sort of already won haha. I think I need to order one, and soon, before it lands at #8 or something :ksc75smile:

-Collin-

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,975 of 39,414
From what I gather the scoring really has been purely on technical performance that gets to as reference or neutral sounding as possible. At least from the comparison between the Dream and Vega, although the Dream is presented as more detailed and spacious, the Vega still sounds like the more enjoyable IEM to listen to, least for my tastes.

Just wondering if it will continue in this direction towards the end, with the #1 being the most technically superior IEM but perhaps the most boring or least musical one to listen to as well.

This isn't a criticism at all... it seems to br the only way to handle scoring these without being biased, as musicality and enjoyability are of course variable and subjective. And sure you can argue that the most neutral sound is what some enjoy most... But you get the point.

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,976 of 39,414
The single DDs have fallen. They need reinforcements! Someone send the RE2000 to Nic quick!

(And then to meeee!)

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,977 of 39,414
From what I gather the scoring really has been purely on technical performance that gets to as reference or neutral sounding as possible. At least from the comparison between the Dream and Vega, although the Dream is presented as more detailed and spacious, the Vega still sounds like the more enjoyable IEM to listen to, least for my tastes.

Just wondering if it will continue in this direction towards the end, with the #1 being the most technically superior IEM but perhaps the most boring or least musical one to listen to as well.

This isn't a criticism at all... it seems to br the only way to handle scoring these without being biased, as musicality and enjoyability are of course variable and subjective. And sure you can argue that the most neutral sound is what some enjoy most... But you get the point.
I wouldn't consider the Dream boring. The stage, detail and air around the notes are certainly stimulating to hear and the bass is just right.

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #1,978 of 39,414
I wouldn't consider the Dream boring. The stage, detail and air around the notes are certainly stimulating to hear and the bass is just right.
Sure, but the trend overall seems to be heading towards neutrality and pure technical performace towards the top. It might not follow the trend exactly... But overall. I think.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,980 of 39,414
I am not so sure indeed, the Zeus XIV is still to come and quite colored.
Prolly alive due to stellar technicalities. I'd be very surprised if Warbler manages to beat the Zeus but the way things are going, it's a real possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back