flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #1,861 of 39,419
I've been going back and forth and keep coming back to M15 every time. Bass is powerful with either module in the 40-300Hz range. Love that thick punchy and textured bass, plenty of meat on them bones with M15 for me. I'm also pairing with Mojo and Mojo + CDM. What source you using?

The results i hear are consistent between different sources, got over a dozen DAPs here (sorry, don't have Mojo or CDM, though heard these are tilted warm). With M15 I can hear the bass, but M20 extends and boosts it where I can feel the rumble :wink: My setup is not 100% calibrated, but relative comparisons are usually accurate, so you can see Red/Blue (right/left) capture with M20 vs Yellow/Teal (right/left) capture with M15. The treble peak is lower with M20, and the bass (from sub-bass to mid-bass) is lifted with M20.

u18_m20_m15.png

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,862 of 39,419
Anyway, how tf is Warbler Prelude still alive in this shootout?

just a guess , but i'd say it's because

a) it probably sounds good
b) Nic is not some biased fanboy who has only heard 2 TOTL ciems
c) he focused his reviews/scores on pure sound , not hype or fancy shell colors

just a guess.

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,863 of 39,419
The results i hear are consistent between different sources, got over a dozen DAPs here (sorry, don't have Mojo or CDM, though heard these are tilted warm). With M15 I can hear the bass, but M20 extends and boosts it where I can feel the rumble :wink: My setup is not 100% calibrated, but relative comparisons are usually accurate, so you can see Red/Blue (right/left) capture with M20 vs Yellow/Teal (right/left) capture with M15. The treble peak is lower with M20, and the bass (from sub-bass to mid-bass) is lifted with M20.

Yep, I experience the same with the M20 as well, just prefer M15. Thank you so much for the graphs, we need more of that here. May I enquire what hardware you're using with ARTA?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,864 of 39,419
Yep, I experience the same with the M20 as well, just prefer M15. Thank you so much for the graphs, we need more of that here. May I enquire what hardware you're using with ARTA?

Vibro Veritas with usb audio interface Luke recommended on his page.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #1,865 of 39,419
I honestly don't know, I have not heard the Athena or any of the Zeus. Jack from Empire Ears recommended me the Athena because I prefer a warmer sound with strong mids for vocals and enough detail for complex classical music such as symphonies. The Apollo was also an option suggested by Jack, which I understand to be the most engaging of Empire Ears. Again, I have not heard them, so this is purely based on a chat with Jack via PM.
That sounds like the Fitear 335.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #1,866 of 39,419
That sounds like the Fitear 335.
I think I looked around to see if I could find more on Fitear when I first started looking into high-end IEMs, but left it when I realised they were quite hard to get hold of and so do not know anything about their signature. What are they like? On the musical side, or more on the analytical side?

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #1,867 of 39,419
I think I looked around to see if I could find more on Fitear when I first started looking into high-end IEMs, but left it when I realised they were quite hard to get hold of and so do not know anything about their signature. What are they like? On the musical side, or more on the analytical side?
The 335 has a bit of both. True not easy to get but are easy to get if you live in Asia. Best fit is another reason I like them. Moon Audio has their 4 driver.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,868 of 39,419
Exciting hours...first we had Comey's testimony, not long after that the British elections and now it's Nic's turn again to surprise the world with his #10 :thinking:

Btw, any UK members out there who voted Lord Buckethead (who almost looks as cool as Darth Vather imo) for 'Strong, not entirely stable, leadership'?
Lord B.jpg

Oh, and wouldn't it be great when Lord Buckethead visits CanJam London this year? I'm pretty sure he's wearing some great sounding intergalactic (c)iems under that helmet :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #1,869 of 39,419

I didn't manage to get a proper fit with the 335 demo when i tried it, but i can tell you a little bit about its 'lesser bass' version which is the MH334
The MH334 (demo) is somewhat similar to the Harmony 8.2 which has a good natural sound, but with even better mids (more forward, some people even say it is buttery) and has wider and airy soundstage. The resolution is also better despite it has a smoother treble than the 8.2. The bass was low in quantity but it was quite fast
I also liked that it has a quite accurate timbre(?), that vocals and some instruments such as timpani or brass instruments sounds just right

I think you definitely should give the MH334 a try if possible, it sounds similar to what you are looking for (great mids, great detail retrieval)
The main drawback imo, to get one outside Japan the premium is like a fricken robbery

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #1,870 of 39,419
now nic , bring on numero 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,873 of 39,419
I didn't manage to get a proper fit with the 335 demo when i tried it, but i can tell you a little bit about its 'lesser bass' version which is the MH334
The MH334 (demo) is somewhat similar to the Harmony 8.2 which has a good natural sound, but with even better mids (more forward, some people even say it is buttery) and has wider and airy soundstage. The resolution is also better despite it has a smoother treble than the 8.2. The bass was low in quantity but it was quite fast
I also liked that it has a quite accurate timbre(?), that vocals and some instruments such as timpani or brass instruments sounds just right

I think you definitely should give the MH334 a try if possible, it sounds similar to what you are looking for (great mids, great detail retrieval)
The main drawback imo, to get one outside Japan the premium is like a fricken robbery
Sounds indeed like something I would like, especially since the Harmony 8.2 is currently the TOTL I am most interested in along with the UE18+ Pro (both in universal build) and 64 Audio U12. But yeah, the premium for getting the 335 or 334 to the UK would probably be unacceptable even if I had the money.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,874 of 39,419
Sounds indeed like something I would like, especially since the Harmony 8.2 is currently the TOTL I am most interested in along with the UE18+ Pro (both in universal build) and 64 Audio U12. But yeah, the premium for getting the 335 or 334 to the UK would probably be unacceptable even if I had the money.
Apparently a lot of people do have the Togo 334. When I was selling my U12, Togo 334 was the IEM offered to me as trade the most. At least 5 different people offered me the Togo 334 as trade for the U12. Maybe because of the similar relaxing signature? I wonder is U12 would be an upgrade/sidegrade to the Togo 334 for people who want a soothing relaxing sound.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #1,875 of 39,419

Wow i think i was in the same situation as yours, i was contemplating between the MH334, A12, the UERR / 18+ and the Encores, but ended up getting the 334. The a12 and encores are either too dark or too fatiguing for me, while Ultimate Ears pulled a late cancellation (I was auditioning at a local audio show back in March) so i decided to grab the 334 instead. Even though they offered a special price during the event, seeing the 18+ surviving the shootout this long is definitely breaking my soul :tired_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back