flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #151 of 39,414
Nic, cannot wait for your take on the Vega and LPG paring.  I thought the extra juice from the LPG elevate the Vega bass to desktop level performance.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #153 of 39,414

hey @flinkenick , i just observed something in your posts at page 1 - your ranking goes from #15 to #1 , so you may wanna use of those 'extra' posts of you  in order to re-number your #15-#1 posts to #16-#2  and add #1 in at one of the 'extra' post

it also fits since renumbering would mean that no3 pick appears at page 2 = more suspense 
tongue.gif

also , i hope you review Spiral Ears SE5 Ult 
gs1000.gif

If we keep adding new IEMs to this list, I'm afraid Nick will only be done with this comparison in 2020. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #154 of 39,414
No reason why this shouldn't evolve and continue on past the 16!

Hopefully Nick will be reviewing for a long while yet and if set process and standards are used for assessment, the 16 could be the initial list which can be expanded on over time. Similar to the original CIEM list on Headphonelist.

This kind of thing is really helpful, albeit there are many subjective elements to the review it still gives a consistent comparison across options. Particularly when the reviews are as in depth as Nic's.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #155 of 39,414
Within two years there will be 20 new iems to test.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #156 of 39,414

If we keep adding new IEMs to this list, I'm afraid Nick will only be done with this comparison in 2020. 
biggrin.gif

actually there is a small mistake in nic's initial posts - he's gonna review 16 iems but he has only saved space/posts for 15, so he may wanna correct this

that was my point

cheers

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #157 of 39,414

Hopefully Nick will be reviewing for a long while yet and if set process and standards are used for assessment, the 16 could be the initial list which can be expanded on over time. Similar to the original CIEM list on Headphonelist.

This kind of thing is really helpful, albeit there are many subjective elements to the review it still gives a consistent comparison across options. Particularly when the reviews are as in depth as Nic's.

Oh, definitely. I do agree that this should be a first chapter of sorts, much like jelt's own Fit for a Bat 1. I was just thinking that it'd be a mighty herculean task on any reviewer to have to continually fine tune a list of items to review. Plus, the costs involved would spiral out of control.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #158 of 39,414

actually there is a small mistake in nic's initial posts - he's gonna review 16 iems but he has only saved space/posts for 15, so he may wanna correct this

that was my point

cheers

Yeah, don't worry, mate. It was just a half-serious take on the situation. 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #159 of 39,414
All good points guys. There are a lot of great iems out there and I can't review them all. Some I'm fortunate to receive as sample, but I have also spent a fortune and as we all know, this hobby ain't cheap.

I will however update my chart with the other iems not included in the shootout, as well as future iems to be reviewed.

that was my point

cheers

Well actually I saved spots for 15, plus 2 extra just in case :wink: I'll update when everything is finalized.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #160 of 39,414

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Nic, cannot wait for your take on the Vega and LPG paring.  I thought the extra juice from the LPG elevate the Vega bass to desktop level performance.

Hi James I think we're currently having a reversed new toy syndrome :) You were listening first with the AK but just got your LPG, I switched the other way around. As much as I love the LPG, haven't picked it up for the last weeks since I recently got the AK.

I have been spending most of my time with Vega though recently, will give the LPG another spin!

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #163 of 39,414
Dec 6, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #164 of 39,414
I can't really pinpoint it exactly, but the main draw of the W900 was how well all the instruments and sounds were very well separated from one another. In terms of outward diffusion I can't give you a concrete answer just yet.

Maybe the W900 should be released with a switch like the Zeus XR Adel in which you given a choose between the 'New' bass sound or the W500 version.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #165 of 39,414

Maybe the W900 should be released with a switch like the Zeus XR Adel in which you given a choose between the 'New' bass sound or the W500 version.

Oh pleeeeease no...I really do not like these gimmicks. Just make an iem and assume its sound. I never use the switches on the P8, and if I ever get the Zeus, it will be the XIV and not the R. This is just a personal opinion but honestly an iem is not a care, I don't want to spend more time tuning it than actually listening to  it...switch and modules and filters...either it sounds good or it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back