flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #16,292 of 39,414
@Deezel177 Quick question, you had $2k to burn, which one would it be: A12t or Anole VX.

It’s tough, because if you like straight-up, neutral signatures, then these complement each other really well. I’d say that if you prefer sitting back and letting yourself become enveloped in air and detail, the U12t is the better pick. But, if you’re the type to rock out, the VX is the way to go. That’s as much as I can say for now.

Based on what you're describing as your preference, Trio would have suited you better. I reviewed U12t and Trio year and a half ago back when those were released, and went over the sound description/comparison here. I mean, both of these are not new releases, but Trio still gets more mileage in my book in comparison to U12t. Of course, just a matter of personal preference.

Having heard both recently, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

nah, I'm over the Layla. the unit variation is a little too risky for me. I'm thinking more of getting the VE8 someday, and then making my own iems. I have a new theory actually, one that has to do with driver material surface area and how it benefits sound reproduction. What would happen if I ran a bunch of drivers reproducing a full range of sound to imitate a large headphone diaphragm. I think it's something I'll try to experiment on someday, something like 20-30 RAB drivers in a shell.

John Moulton tried that in 2010-2012. ‘Didn’t go anywhere.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #16,293 of 39,414
nah, I'm over the Layla. the unit variation is a little too risky for me. I'm thinking more of getting the VE8 someday, and then making my own iems. I have a new theory actually, one that has to do with driver material surface area and how it benefits sound reproduction. What would happen if I ran a bunch of drivers reproducing a full range of sound to imitate a large headphone diaphragm. I think it's something I'll try to experiment on someday, something like 20-30 RAB drivers in a shell.

Believe I've read something on this before. Think the issue you would encounter is comb filtering - as the waves prostate outward from the drivers they would overlap, causing constructive and destructive interference.

I'm no sound scientist, so may be completely wrong, but that does ring a bell with me. Sure it was mentioned in an explanation of one of (but not the only) the reasons crossovers were needed in a multi-driver IEM, rather than stuffing a bunch of tuned drivers in a metal tube and hoping for the best.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #16,294 of 39,414
John Moulton tried that in 2010-2012. ‘Didn’t go anywhere.
Believe I've read something on this before. Think the issue you would encounter is comb filtering - as the waves prostate outward from the drivers they would overlap, causing constructive and destructive interference.

I'm no sound scientist, so may be completely wrong, but that does ring a bell with me. Sure it was mentioned in an explanation of one of (but not the only) the reasons crossovers were needed in a multi-driver IEM, rather than stuffing a bunch of tuned drivers in a metal tube and hoping for the best.
Since I'm Pithy, I'll try it anyway. I am thinking as well that the interference between each driver will screw everything over. And who knows, maybe I can make magic happen (wink to the wizard).

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #16,295 of 39,414
People: It's physically, mentally, spiritually impossible.
Pithy:
you-underestimate-my-power-33710498.png

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #16,298 of 39,414
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #16,303 of 39,414
Alright, I have to eat some crow here. These prices are SD. I thought they were USD. I find this more palatable (though, perhaps, still not affordable).

Well, that's very, very different. It isn't as expensive as the U/A18t, which a lot of people don't have trouble shelling out for. So, it ain't that bad.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #16,304 of 39,414
Well, that's very, very different. It isn't as expensive as the U/A18t, which a lot of people don't have trouble shelling out for. So, it ain't that bad.
Let Barkey Potter do his magic...
b9c472_2592fa5abba04e5aa8f5fb8271fa34a8~mv2.gif

"oBravio RaCCoppera"
...and suddenly everything seems not that bad. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back