flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #15,541 of 39,414
A couple of pictures of the equinox vs. black.
You can really see the differences between the 2.

Thanks. That's quite the ear you've got going on there. Did you get any universals to fit? Equinox really are quite shallow aren't they?

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #15,542 of 39,414
Well, I've never find AT's headphones to be very transparent tonally to begin with, so I can't say. Expect all your mixes to sound like crap once you plug the Phantom's in, but it only goes up from there. :)
Have fun redoing your entire mix. :wink:
Yupppppp, talk about predicting the future Daniel :p. Power went out for the area today so no sound stuff required, so sadly next week. Visited some of the older mixeds Ive done with Phantom, there were a lot of redos, but end result was consistenly excellent on Zeus and Phantom.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #15,543 of 39,414
If any of you were looking to buy a spare IEM with a balanced sound in the $200 range, FLC8D is on sale at MusicTeck. I highly highly recommend it for $200.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...8n-fixed-low-frequency?variant=12099660480574

It’s a hybrid design with tuning options. Tuning is done using replaceable filters. Unlike the 8S or its sibling, the 8N, which offer the ability to tune the low end too, 8D’s low end is fixed. It’s a slightly boosted low end. For reference, almost on the same ball park as phantom, but with a slightly better sub-bass extension. For everything else, you can read my review of the 8N and it applies for the 8D too.

P.S: Although the IEM is advertised as using 0.78mm 2-pin connectors, the dimensions are slightly different that third party 2-pin cables won’t fit.
I won't be the first to admit, FLC makes surprisingly refined iems for the price. I bought a pair of FLC8s several years ago and still enjoy it to this day. Very comfortable for universals as well

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #15,544 of 39,414
I look forward to that review :D

Good things come to those who wait. :wink:

EM64-13 (1) B2.jpg

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #15,545 of 39,414

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
MMYYYYYYYYYYYY
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSS

will probably arrive this week. I asked my store. Apparently Naga Audio has a nearly one month long New Year break.

Nice writeup! I imagine similar to the Alclair Electro?

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #15,546 of 39,414
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
MMYYYYYYYYYYYY
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSS

will probably arrive this week. I asked my store. Apparently Naga Audio has a nearly one month long New Year break.

Nice writeup! I imagine similar to the Alclair Electro?

Thanks! Uhm... I wouldn't say so. I think the Electro has a wetter sound with a slightly slower-sounding midrange. The thing about the EM64 is it has body and density, but it's so fast that it sounds tight and airy at the same time. It's a phenomenon I've never experienced before, and I think it has a lot to do with TRUEWAVE. When you think warm, lush signatures, it's easy to imagine big notes that hit hard and linger there. The EM64's notes are quite large and energetic, but they're gone right after they hit. I think the Electro is more forgiving and a hair more lush. But, that's not to say the EM64 is harsh either. It's all relative and all minor.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #15,547 of 39,414

I was reading this while I had my Phantoms on. Had a sinking feeling about my wallet. But then I realized Im still waiting for silver 8 wire to come on and I havent tried it on balanced at all. Crisis averted!

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #15,548 of 39,414
I was reading this while I had my Phantoms on. Had a sinking feeling about my wallet. But then I realized Im still waiting for silver 8 wire to come on and I havent tried it on balanced at all. Crisis averted!
The most universal emotion: that feeling when you realize you bought the wrong thing too late.

It's a slightly not terrible thing the EM64 isn't in the $2000 range. I have no idea where I could demo it or potentially order a pair but it sounds like a good idea for a neutral reference type of iem.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #15,549 of 39,414

It sounds nothing like Phantom, but they're both excellent in their own respects.

Mar 25, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #15,550 of 39,414
Mar 25, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #15,551 of 39,414
judging by the review, this seems like a poor man's Zeus R , and at 1140 euros you can say it's almost a bargain

I wouldn't say so at all. The EM64 has a fuller, more extended bass response with just a hair more presence. The midrange is perhaps bolder on the Zeus in terms of note size. And, the treble on the EM64 is just as articulate, but with a different timbre. If the Zeus ever peaks, it'll sound brittle. If the EM64 peaks, it sounds bite-y and coarse. Fortunately, neither ever do in my experience. The stage as well is more saturated and lively on the EM64, while the Zeus takes a step back to create a sense of space. These are the comparisons I can make so far without a side-by-side comparison.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #15,552 of 39,414
Good things come to those who wait
Didn’t have to wait long :thumbsup:

The EM64 looks like it would belong in my collection eventually, being quite different from what own while retaining important qualities for me... thanks for the review!

Curious now as to what you’ll think of the TrueWave equipped Purple :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #15,553 of 39,414
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #15,555 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back