flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #15,526 of 39,414
Lol question is: it's a universal
customs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>universals
Screenshot (297).png

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #15,527 of 39,414
customs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>universals
Rainbow sticks of goodness of the perfect length and girth for your ear canal eh

I rather not have my ears canals violated in that fashion.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #15,529 of 39,414
more dita truth spc vs oslo:

mid bass, truth is punchier and oslo as twister 6 mentioned in his review is more relaxed.

So far, perhaps perversely, the more expensive cable works better with the cheaper U8 giving it more space and linearising the mids:bass ratio, whereas the truth works better with the Trio.

will try it for a little longer.

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #15,532 of 39,414
Totally agree. I hate dealing with the sonic differences and the lack of comfort. Also hate the increased canal resonance from shallower insertion. Every day without my customs is torture. I will learn to cherish my customs and not sand them down.

Got to send my blacks back for slight readjustment :frowning2: The left and right are too long which makes it a little uncomfortable when putting them in, and the seal could do a little thickening as well. Going to miss them as they were the best fitting I've had and thought I might not have to send them back. After a couple of weeks I knew though :frowning2:. Got the fibae 2's in universal but the whole reason I got into customs in the first place was because universals and I don't mix that well :frowning2:

As it's generally the second bend part that seems to cause me hassle I've actually been half mulling the idea of a pair of CampFire Audio (all these ca's get confusing!) Equinox due to the shorter stem. It's the thought of spending that much money and not getting a fit (which I wouldn't put past me!) that's putting me off.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #15,533 of 39,414
Got to send my blacks back for slight readjustment :frowning2: The left and right are too long which makes it a little uncomfortable when putting them in, and the seal could do a little thickening as well. Going to miss them as they were the best fitting I've had and thought I might not have to send them back. After a couple of weeks I knew though :frowning2:. Got the fibae 2's in universal but the whole reason I got into customs in the first place was because universals and I don't mix that well :frowning2:

As it's generally the second bend part that seems to cause me hassle I've actually been half mulling the idea of a pair of CampFire Audio (all these ca's get confusing!) Equinox due to the shorter stem. It's the thought of spending that much money and not getting a fit (which I wouldn't put past me!) that's putting me off.
Oh, that actually really sucks... judging by your signature, it's kind of a recurring thing. I hope your customs are well fitting when they arrive. I've heard Fitear also does shorter fit customs.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #15,534 of 39,414
Oh, that actually really sucks... judging by your signature, it's kind of a recurring thing. I hope your customs are well fitting when they arrive. I've heard Fitear also does shorter fit customs.

Yep customs and I don't mix and neither do universals which sucks big time. Two different audiologists as well. Guessing it's just my funky ears. I'm hoping that having the length of the blacks altered will help with comfort as when I do get a seal the isolation is great. It's just a little finicky trying to get that seal in the first place.

It seems that Fitear doesn't really sell outside of Japan which doesn't help. I think I'd actually cry a little if after spending money on the CA's they didn't fit either!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #15,535 of 39,414
Yep customs and I don't mix and neither do universals which sucks big time. Two different audiologists as well. Guessing it's just my funky ears. I'm hoping that having the length of the blacks altered will help with comfort as when I do get a seal the isolation is great. It's just a little finicky trying to get that seal in the first place.

It seems that Fitear doesn't really sell outside of Japan which doesn't help. I think I'd actually cry a little if after spending money on the CA's they didn't fit either!
The Equinox have a really shallow fitting, i would be really surprise if they didn’t fit you comfortably. But you’ll never have the same isolation as the CA Black. I mostly use my ciems while I commute, and in the subway I can really hear the difference between the black and the equinox.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #15,536 of 39,414
The Equinox have a really shallow fitting, i would be really surprise if they didn’t fit you comfortably. But you’ll never have the same isolation as the CA Black. I mostly use my ciems while I commute, and in the subway I can really hear the difference between the black and the equinox.
That's the trade off isn't it? As it's the isolation I'm really after I'm guessing I would find the equinox wanting on that front.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #15,537 of 39,414
The Equinox have a really shallow fitting, i would be really surprise if they didn’t fit you comfortably. .

With me you can't expect anything reasonable to happen :p After all you are looking at someone who was disabled enough to be allowed to go to a disabled boarding college while growing up, but not disabled enough to claim any benefits (no I haven't worked that one out either :p )!

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #15,538 of 39,414
EarSonics’ EM64 (my review of which is coming soon :wink:) are great alternatives as well. (...) The EM64 draws its energy from lively upper-mids and treble bite, but the refinement of the top-end and sufficient body from the low-end (again, sub-bass especially) keep it from ever sounding unnatural or fatiguing. In terms of staging, the A6t and EM64 have similar sizes; both larger than the Model X by a hair. But, the EM64 has more precise imaging and more stable separation.

I look forward to that review :D

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #15,540 of 39,414
If any of you were looking to buy a spare IEM with a balanced sound in the $200 range, FLC8D is on sale at MusicTeck. I highly highly recommend it for $200.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...8n-fixed-low-frequency?variant=12099660480574

It’s a hybrid design with tuning options. Tuning is done using replaceable filters. Unlike the 8S or its sibling, the 8N, which offer the ability to tune the low end too, 8D’s low end is fixed. It’s a slightly boosted low end. For reference, almost on the same ball park as phantom, but with a slightly better sub-bass extension. For everything else, you can read my review of the 8N and it applies for the 8D too.

P.S: Although the IEM is advertised as using 0.78mm 2-pin connectors, the dimensions are slightly different that third party 2-pin cables won’t fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back