FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #4,803 of 7,931
  no doubt the sound of flc8s is good. i still regret trading it away to a certain extent all because of the cable
confused_face.gif

If money was not an issue it would have been worth your while to experiment with another cable, LMUE's Crystal Silver or Null Audio's Arete for a start.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #4,804 of 7,931

If money was not an issue it would have been worth your while to experiment with another cable, LMUE's Crystal Silver or Null Audio's Arete for a start.

i guess the improvement in clarity of mids and highs is considerable with the LMUE crystal silver (i would choose this one, more expensive, just for the 0.74mm pins).. but how is the bass altered?

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #4,805 of 7,931
  nope not that i am finding...still very musical.
unlike the sony xb90ex: while having great sub bass it sounded veiled in the detailed and juicy mids.
if anything this combo reminds me  of my sony 7550

Red subbass for me is just way too loose. I actually loved the red for a long time, but something along the way changed my preference into finding a sound signature with balanced subbass, mids, slightly rolled off treble, and great bass punch while not leaking into mids. I guess I'd like to express the red as too much than need, so it actually becomes bothersome for me beyond the point of enjoyment. I can constantly hear the subbass leaking into midbass and it just doesn't sound right. I tried red, black yesterday and it just makes things worse because mids, treble are not changing, yet you're boosting bass further (assuming grey for me is the most balanced as of right now).

There is of course genre difference and source difference, I tend to listen to a lot of modern produced music like kpop/pop/trance etc. You really need to tone that subbass and bass or else it's just going to sound intruding. I found mojo to be relaxing and smooth which might also contribute to my grey grey gold setup and nothing else just works ^^

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #4,806 of 7,931

Red subbass for me is just way too loose. I actually loved the red for a long time, but something along the way changed my preference into finding a sound signature with balanced subbass, mids, slightly rolled off treble, and great bass punch while not leaking into mids. I guess I'd like to express the red as too much than need, so it actually becomes bothersome for me beyond the point of enjoyment. I can constantly hear the subbass leaking into midbass and it just doesn't sound right. I tried red, black yesterday and it just makes things worse because mids, treble are not changing, yet you're boosting bass further (assuming grey for me is the most balanced as of right now).

There is of course genre difference and source difference, I tend to listen to a lot of modern produced music like kpop/pop/trance etc. You really need to tone that subbass and bass or else it's just going to sound intruding. I found mojo to be relaxing and smooth which might also contribute to my grey grey gold setup and nothing else just works ^^

and that is the good thing with this gig (same with trinity)...you can vary things around a bit and experiment.
..and i listen to mostly rock, so that subbass is fine with the filters i have....***however this may change
once i try the new spinfit tips...that makes such a huge difference, doesn't it: a good seal is worth its weight in gold.

this said, i am considering adding one of the dunu titans to compliment the flc 8s (never had one before)...sold my 1more e1001 and sort of regret it as a backup

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #4,807 of 7,931
  and that is the good thing with this gig (same with trinity)...you can vary things around a bit and experiment.

this said, i am considering adding a dunu trident to my collection...sold my 1more e1001 and sort of regret it as a backup

e1001's packaging and design looks beautiful, I don't think I've heard it before. So so many IEMs on market these days.

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,808 of 7,931
Dear Friends.

I'm on the way to Canjam London now.

I'm sorry to tell you that we failed to make formal samples because the gear drive tuning system is to complicated.

But we managed to make four prototypes without the gear drive system(but still with the three base sounds), the prototypes were not built good, but the sounds are OK.

Please come to emjoy it if you attend the Canjam.

Forrest

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #4,810 of 7,931
Definitely need to size up if bass is weak and increased treble. I switched up from using smalls size for a week to medium yesterday and the difference was noticeable. Bass, treble quantity, and soundstage were the biggest differences. You want them to kind of seal a big area in your ear rather than getting it deep inside without too much seal. Tip size that is typically uncomfortable at first insert tends to ease out over time.

The bass and treble quantity difference was noticeable as in black filter w/ small tips was not enough bass to grey filter w/ medium tips was plenty enough, even maybe a little more than I would like. Treble was very harsh, too sparkly w/ small tips to just enough treble with sense of air right below the level of becoming sibilant w/ medium tips. That's how much seal and insert depth matters (YMMV as always). Felt the same with stock tips. Going from xsm to small made a world of difference. I feel medium size for spinfit is similar size to small stock, for me spinfit stays in much better and more comfortable (YMMV as always). If you can get a better fit on spinfits than stock, bass definitely improves. Other than that, very similar for the rest of the spectrum and other aspects.

Ok, so I got the medium spin fits. Definitely a better seal. Compared to the spiral dots I can say that I hear less bass/sub bass and better mid/treble presentation with the spin fits. Using the spiral dots, I had gone back to the black/grey/grey tuning from red/grey/gold. But, now with the spin fits, I am back to red/grey/gold and find a really fun, forward presentation with good bass and detailed highs. Mostly pop/rock, but I did try some cello and piano, and the sound is good, for now. May become fatiguing over time, but only time will tell.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #4,811 of 7,931
Ok, so I got the medium spin fits. Definitely a better seal. Compared to the spiral dots I can say that I hear less bass/sub bass and better mid/treble presentation with the spin fits. Using the spiral dots, I had gone back to the black/grey/grey tuning from red/grey/gold. But, now with the spin fits, I am back to red/grey/gold and find a really fun, forward presentation with good bass and detailed highs. Mostly pop/rock, but I did try some cello and piano, and the sound is good, for now. May become fatiguing over time, but only time will tell.

Glad you're enjoying them. I find spinfits to be really similar to stock tips sound, just better seal and comfort for me. It's a definite improvement for me. I just can't stop listening to these and I get pissed off whenever I have to grab my charger when Mojo runs out of battery hehe. You can always tune the flc8s no matter what tips you use, so it all boils down to whatever tips give you the best seal and comfort for you. No need to match tips, rather filters once you find the right comfort zone I guess. I was going to go for spiral dots or the new kombi trinity tips, but I guess there is no more need since I'm satisfied with spinfits. Ignorance is bliss :D\

Just patiently waiting for Celeste final production model release and impressions.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #4,812 of 7,931
Aug 11, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #4,813 of 7,931
After spending a day with it, I've decided my preferred filter combi is red>clear>green, with the pre-suggested vocal settings coming in a close second.
It's veeeery clear with quite a bit of sparkle up top.
Red>grey>gold sounds nice, but it was a tad on the bassy side. Will spend the entire day tomorrow with red>grey>green to see if I prefer that sound more.

Using the spinfit M tips as well. Have always used the Spinfits since I started using them with the AD01. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #4,815 of 7,931
Dear Friends.

I'm on the way to Canjam London now.

I'm sorry to tell you that we failed to make formal samples because the gear drive tuning system is to complicated.

But we managed to make four prototypes without the gear drive system(but still with the three base sounds), the prototypes were not built good, but the sounds are OK.

Please come to emjoy it if you attend the Canjam.

Forrest

All the best for your booth 
Hope more people will like the FLC8 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back