Flashed Sansa Clip integrated with CMoy
May 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dynasonic

Head-Fier
This could technically go in the DIY forum as well but my target audience is the Portable Amp crowd so I wanted to start here.

I want to see if there would be any interest in something like this... I have purchased all the parts for my first DIY project. What I am going to attempt to do is take a flashed Sansa Clip and integrate it into a modified CMoy. In a perfect world I would be able to fit it all into the standard Altoid Tin. I have absolutely no clue if I will be able to fit it all of this together and make it work but it sounded fun and I am going to give it a shot. I want a portable setup that has a higher quality amp than that in my Zune but I want it to be small and have the ability to play FLAC files. It doesn't have to be a top shelf portable amp, just something of higher quality than stock MP3 players.

Would you be interested in something like this or do you think it's just a horrible idea?

May 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 21
I would be interested in how it turns out.  If you do plan to do this, please post some pics.  

May 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 21
I'd love to see some pics of the finished product myself.

May 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 21
Sounds quite difficult. If you could get a line out from the Clip without disembowling it, you may be able to simply append an amp connected to the headphone out and connecting it together in some rigid fashion. I'm simply suggesting it because rehousing the clip doesn't seem straightforward to me..

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 21
Well - I finally got all of my backordered parts in from Mouser. I have my Sansa Clip. I am going to use a JDS Labs circuit board on the first couple of builds. The JDS labs CMOY has a bass boost circuit in it. Would you guys want this included in the final build or would you rather have the circuit bypassed all together? 

It is going to be really really tricky but I was able to squeeze everything in to the Altoids Tin last night. I had to be really creative to get it in there and I didn't have the board built up yet so there is a chance of me running into some unforseen difficulties. I am starting to get excited because I think I can make this work.

More updates to follow as I would like to try to get my first board built up this weekend.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 21
Wow, this does indeed sound very interesting. I'm sure the bass boost feature would be well received. I would love to see what this thing will look like.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
you have to take into consideration the caps.

But that was all in lower case :wink: 

The cap is indeed the tallest part on the circuit board but that has been accounted for...  I hope to have some pictures up within a week or so.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 21
very intersting. I too had had the same idea several monthe back while designing a smaller version of the mini3 to copliment my clip+. I got the amp built, its only very slightly larger than the clip, runs on 2 or 3 lipo batteries. still need to finish it up ( some parts for the digital POT were back ordered )

But while designing it i popped my clip apart to see what it looked ike inside. This is quite teadious and it is easy to marr the plastic if its done wrong. But with the back removed, the clip is quite thin, and it would not be too difficult to soldier wires from the headphone out to the amp input, and same goes for the buttons. If you were to cut a hole in the lid of the tin that matched the back half of the clip (would again be quite tedious, but a dremmel could probly get it done) it would make a sweet little player/amp. A small (TO-92) 5v regulator could be used to keep the clip battery charged off the amp battery, or possibly just omit the clip battery all together, but i would be causious about powering the clip on anything more than ~4.2v (assuming the regulater was slodered to the battery pads on the clip). 5v is fine through the charge port ( i think...) , but a fully charges lipo battery is only ~4.2v (3.7 nominal)

I may have to try this as well, I have 2 extra of my mini-mini3 boards, they should fit inside a tin.....

I should also get a CMoy, never heard one but the bass boost would be nice.

Good luck and keep us posted!  PICS!!!!!

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 21
Ive wanted to do this with the fuze.  the Sansa fuze is nearly the identical thickness of the typical altoids cmoy lid cover, if you could somehow cut out the top of the lid and get the sansa to stick, that would be such an epic win

the clip would work as well, just cut a smaller hole.  Shame the blue wintergreen BB 2.02 is just too sexy to cut :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Ive wanted to do this with the fuze.  the Sansa fuze is nearly the identical thickness of the typical altoids cmoy lid cover, if you could somehow cut out the top of the lid and get the sansa to stick, that would be such an epic win

the clip would work as well, just cut a smaller hole.  Shame the blue wintergreen BB 2.02 is just too sexy to cut :)

wish i had taken pics, but the clip's faceplate snaps into the back cover with little plastic tabs that are molded into each piece. the faceplate has little "female" tabs that extend down from the bottom of the face plate, and the back has matching "male" tabs. The first clip i took apart went fairly easy, the second (had to buy a second due to a small misshap that freid the first) one i managed to break one of the clips on :frowning2:  . but a cutout in the lid ( if it is flat enough!) would be a rectangle, with rounded corners, and 3 or 4 little protrusions sticking inward on the flats of the rectangle that were placed to line up with the mating clips of the face plate. else just cut a straight sided rectangle and use glue to hold it down. I would immagine that the fuze is built the same way, but i don't own one of those. I am really liking this idea (again) I think i may have to jump on the bandwagon!

Where is the best place to get a CMoy kit with the bass boost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back