FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
May 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #241 of 320
I plan to use iPhone 3GS (ios 5.0.1 or ios4.0.1) with Network-attached storage (NAS) loaded with .flac files. This FLAC player should work that way, correct? Is it ready to go with any NAS (do I need any other specific software or hardware)? Will all the NAS work the same way here?

The NAS I plan to use will be either a D-Link DNS-320
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822155019   or

a Synology DS112j
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108114  

I will go with the cheaper D-Link, unless there is a some reason against it? I have 3X 500GB drives (2X SATA and one USB) filled with .flac or .wav, I would love to access those anywhere using wifi.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

May 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #242 of 320
Don't know about those specifically, but I expect they'll work fine. I'm using a GoFlex Satellite via 8Player here and it works fine (with FLAC Player for local playback, FLAC Player pretty disappointing really, very expensive app compared to Android equivalents and about 10% of their feature-set, still though at least the SQ is there with the iPhone).

May 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #244 of 320
No streaming in FLAC Player, correct.

May 31, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #245 of 320
No, for that you need Buzz player

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #247 of 320
Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been reading the threads and decided to get the fiio e17 to go with Flac player on my iPad.. I understand that the e17 requires a usb hub in order to work with the iPad through the camera connection kit.. I followed everything through but i still get the "accessory will not work" notification due to the excessive power requirements of the e17. I tried getting another usb hub and the problem persists. Am I getting it wrong? My guess is the in usb hub. I got a cheap one that isn't powered. Should I use a powered USB hub?

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #248 of 320
Yes, you need a powered USB hub.  I have a belkin.

A warning.  For any files over 48khz/24bit, I hear a clicking noise (almost sounds like electronic interference from a small electric motor or something).  I'm not sure if this noise is experienced by everyone using powered USB hubs with the iPad and hi res files.  I have heard but do not have confirmation that higher quality USB cables will solve the clicking problem.  Another possibility might be a higher quality powered USB hub - again, no confirmation on this.  I have also heard that the MATRIX USB to SPDIF converter may also resolve the issue.  This last item doesn't require a powered USB hub but runs around $50.00 and is currently only available from a vendor in Japan.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #250 of 320
Powered has a adapter for wall socket. Not very portable.

Out of curiosity, why not try the Dr.Bott T3Hub? It's powerless but it "tricks" the iPad/CCK into thinking its powered & works with standard portable USB DACs.

It looks ugly but it works.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #251 of 320
Ok thanks to you guys I now have a USB hub that works. But, I'm now having problems playing 24 bit music through flac player. Songs would play for about a second then just stop. I downloaded another app called golden ear though its playback is limited to 48k 16 bit. Songs play just fine. Anyone having the same problem with flac player? The indicator on the fiio e17 says its 96k 24 bit but won't play after a second. What could be the problem?

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #252 of 320
Quote:
Powered has a adapter for wall socket. Not very portable.
Out of curiosity, why not try the Dr.Bott T3Hub? It's powerless but it "tricks" the iPad/CCK into thinking its powered & works with standard portable USB DACs.
It looks ugly but it works.

I did try this and it didn't work.  Kind of a neat idea, but it would only work on files less than 24 bit as far as I know and this was only after having the E17 docked in the E9.  It would give the "accessory not supported due to drawing too much power" or whatever warning when hooked up alone.  While docked, it would play 44.1/16 files perfectly, but once I went to FLAC Player and tried the 96/24 files, it would play for about half a second and stop working.  In that half a second, I could still hear the artifact.  I also tried it with my powered USB hub in the chain.  It would work, but the artifact was still present.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #253 of 320
Is it possible to access music by Artist and/or Albums using FLAC Player, as well as Song Title?  For example, does FLAC Player allow you to key in say Dire Straits and then list all albums featuring a Dire Straits track on it?

Can you setup Playlists?

Is it possible to store FLAC files on a Cloud server, and then access them via the iPhone using my 3G connection?

The main problem with storing FLAC files on an iPhone is limited storeage space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back