Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Oct 31, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #677 of 1,062
Is that because the driver placement affects the relative distance of sound from the different drivers? Even though I have customs I've been wondering how big the difference is for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

I gather so. Bore placement too. A buddy of mine actually had to wait really long while a company tried various iterations to fit their IEM into his ear moulds, and in the end when he got it back it was still too big to be comfortable.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #678 of 1,062
Huh...The W300 is actually not as expensive as I thought... Still, if I am to upgrade, I'll prolly save up for the 500 instead.

And that's even after I enjoyed my A2H pro for a long time. :p

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #679 of 1,062
Tested the W500 demo yesterday. Compared it with my JH13. Bass tuning is in centre position (half BA half dynamic).

The bass is exactly like the legends said. Hits deeeeeeeeep, down the throat, with impact you can feel. Very natural, a speaker-like sound. The JH13 bass is very in-your-face with a midbass lift. The W500 does it from a respectable distance but still hits as hard. Bass is just... super excellent.

Mids are smooth, intimate, syrupy, slightly forward, thick note articulation. Envelops you in a nice layer of warmth. Great for vocals and acoustics. My kind of mids! Detail might be slightly smoothed out but I don't feel it's inadequate. JH13 has thin, detailed, "colder" sounding mids, but fantastically balanced with the bass.

I've always thought JH13 has a strong treble. It gave me extension, clarity and detail to the high heavens, and amazing realism (cymbal splash sounds like the real thing). It gave me the best treble I've heard in an IEM to date. Guess what? W500 essentially has that same extension and sparkle, but smoother. How they do that is beyond me. Rage Against the Machine doesn't sound as grating, and I have a new treble favorite.

Soundstage wise... W500 is wider, but there is certainly more air in the W500 because it's not as aggressive as the JH13. The JH13 feels slightly congested in comparison. Imaging is equal. Both can compare among the very best IEMs.

Overall, the JH13's individual components might lose out to the W500, but the sum of its parts is greater. Like how 6 weakling Constructicons merge to become the mighty Devastator. The balance and cohesion is immaculate. They work as a unit superbly, still super enjoyable to listen to. In comparison, the W500 is more natural-sounding, slightly warmer and airier, with an absolutely addictive organic sound. I thought I'd be happy for years with the JH13 but the W500 introduced another flavour that I love very much as well. And OH GOD THAT BASS. It's a winner.

I'm getting one done. The improvement from universal to custom can only get better... right?

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #680 of 1,062
Tested the W500 demo yesterday. Compared it with my JH13. Bass tuning is in centre position (half BA half dynamic).

The bass is exactly like the legends said. Hits deeeeeeeeep, down the throat, with impact you can feel. Very natural, a speaker-like sound. The JH13 bass is very in-your-face with a midbass lift. The W500 does it from a respectable distance but still hits as hard. Bass is just... super excellent.

Mids are smooth, intimate, syrupy, slightly forward, thick note articulation. Envelops you in a nice layer of warmth. Great for vocals and acoustics. My kind of mids! Detail might be slightly smoothed out but I don't feel it's inadequate. JH13 has thin, detailed, "colder" sounding mids, but fantastically balanced with the bass.

I've always thought JH13 has a strong treble. It gave me extension, clarity and detail to the high heavens, and amazing realism (cymbal splash sounds like the real thing). It gave me the best treble I've heard in an IEM to date. Guess what? W500 essentially has that same extension and sparkle, but smoother. How they do that is beyond me. Rage Against the Machine doesn't sound as grating, and I have a new treble favorite.

Soundstage wise... W500 is wider, but there is certainly more air in the W500 because it's not as aggressive as the JH13. The JH13 feels slightly congested in comparison. Imaging is equal. Both can compare among the very best IEMs.

Overall, the JH13's individual components might lose out to the W500, but the sum of its parts is greater. Like how 6 weakling Constructicons merge to become the mighty Devastator. The balance and cohesion is immaculate. They work as a unit superbly, still super enjoyable to listen to. In comparison, the W500 is more natural-sounding, slightly warmer and airier, with an absolutely addictive organic sound. I thought I'd be happy for years with the JH13 but the W500 introduced another flavour that I love very much as well. And OH GOD THAT BASS. It's a winner.

I'm getting one done. The improvement from universal to custom can only get better... right?

So glad you enjoyed the demo audition. Hope the custom will make ya even happier in audio Nirvana :D

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #681 of 1,062
So glad you enjoyed the demo audition. Hope the custom will make ya even happier in audio Nirvana :D

Dabbled in BAs too long. Missed the impact and realism of a dynamic driver bass. Hybrid CIEMs... what a way to go.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #682 of 1,062
For me there is only one great BA Driven iem and its the Solar. I prefer hybrid iems now.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #683 of 1,062
Dabbled in BAs too long. Missed the impact and realism of a dynamic driver bass. Hybrid CIEMs... what a way to go.

The brand that introduced me to the Hybrid world was Dunu actually. Their DN series are pretty damn impressive but I am completely spellbound by these AAW Customs~

I am gonna get the A2H Pro soon and might even write a review of it. :D

W500 will be on my wishlist.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #684 of 1,062
The brand that introduced to the Hybrid world was Dunu actually. Their DN series are pretty damn impressive but I am completely spellbound by these AAW Customs~

I am gonna get the A2H Pro soon and might even write a review of it. :D

W500 will be on my wishlist.
Dunu started before UM? The Merlin were like years ago.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #687 of 1,062
It's not as fast and snappy as the JH13, but smoother and lingers longer. Speed is not one of its traits, but you get a rich sound in return.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #688 of 1,062
It's not as fast and snappy as the JH13, but smoother and lingers longer. Speed is not one of its traits, but you get a rich sound in return.

Have you tried playing some WAV files of songs from OMAM like Crystals or Thousand Eyes?

I tried the universal of W500 and it does it phenomenally on the instruments and capturing Nanna's chilling vocals on my Fiio X1 alone.

Then that effect was amplified beyond eleven when I auditioned the Calyx M...
basshead.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #689 of 1,062
Have you tried playing some WAV files of songs from OMAM like Crystals or Thousand Eyes?

I tried the universal of W500 and it does it phenomenally on the instruments and capturing Nanna's chilling vocals on my Fiio X1 alone.

Then that effect was amplified beyond eleven when I auditioned the Calyx M...:basshead:

Wish I did. My OMAM tracks still stuck as 320kbps mp3 and i haven't gotten their flacs yet. But yes agree with you, they're great with vocals. My kind of mids.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #690 of 1,062
Wish I did. My OMAM tracks still stuck as 320kbps mp3 and i haven't gotten their flacs yet. But yes agree with you, they're great with vocals. My kind of mids.

Tried it on my Spotify's OMAM collections and they sound just as amazing although just a bit less clear due to my crappy phone lol. But tried it on Lenka songs and it really capture her vocals tremendously. I can't wait to buy her albums and get the Wavs on my X1. :D

And this is just auditioning the universal A2H which already sound impressive to my ears. The W500 is even more so obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back