Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Nov 2, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #691 of 1,062
It's not as fast and snappy as the JH13, but smoother and lingers longer. Speed is not one of its traits, but you get a rich sound in return.

How much did you miss the speed? I'm seriously considering getting a new W500 to complement/replace my aging JH13.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #692 of 1,062
How much did you miss the speed? I'm seriously considering getting a new W500 to complement/replace my aging JH13.

My sig of choice is neutral with a hint of warmth, sparkly treble, nonrecessed mids and wide soundstage. Both the JH13 and W500 tick all my boxes. Speed I don't mind either way actually. Both give presentations that I equally enjoy. The W500 gives a very enjoyable sound so I don't think you can go wrong anyhow.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #693 of 1,062
My sig of choice is neutral with a hint of warmth, sparkly treble, nonrecessed mids and wide soundstage. Both the JH13 and W500 tick all my boxes. Speed I don't mind either way actually. Both give presentations that I equally enjoy. The W500 gives a very enjoyable sound so I don't think you can go wrong anyhow.
And what artists do you listen to ?

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #694 of 1,062
And what artists do you listen to ?

Mostly mainstream radio and classic rock during working hours, like Queen, Fall Out Boy, Adele, Michael Jackson, Weezer, Foo Fighters...

At night when I do some serious listening it's a bit more vocals and jazz, my Chesky binaural stuff, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Fourplay, Jazz at the Pawnshop... basically a bit of everything except metal, EDM and classical.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #695 of 1,062
Mostly mainstream radio and classic rock during working hours, like Queen, Fall Out Boy, Adele, Michael Jackson, Weezer, Foo Fighters...

At night when I do some serious listening it's a bit more vocals and jazz, my Chesky binaural stuff, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Fourplay, Jazz at the Pawnshop... basically a bit of everything except metal, EDM and classical.
Guess neutral is ideal for you.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #697 of 1,062

JH13 is a big jump for me coming from ATH-IM03 and GR07. It's incredibly clear and balanced, with a forward, aggressive sound. The amount of bass, mids, treble is just right... and the most realistic cymbal splash I have heard in an IEM. Soundstage wasn't the biggest (Roxanne was far bigger) but I love the tonality a lot more here. Listened to it once, got poisoned, bought it the next day. Roxanne was too V-shaped for my liking. Great bass and treble and soundstage but the mids suffered. Not really your DAP bottleneck I think. Sound sig preference more likely.

And just an example of the CTM500 punching above its weight, their mids are better than the JH13, but I like the overall JH13 sig better. Perfect for rock.

CTM didn't do it for me and the mids weren't nearly as focused. Balance was OK and it was clearly the best in that line. Best deal I've heard to date is the Perfect Seal ps6. None are perfect including the JH13. If you have it, you should try a TWAG V3 silver on it. Needs a couple hundred hours of run in.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #698 of 1,062
CTM didn't do it for me and the mids weren't nearly as focused. Balance was OK and it was clearly the best in that line. Best deal I've heard to date is the Perfect Seal ps6. None are perfect including the JH13. If you have it, you should try a TWAG V3 silver on it. Needs a couple hundred hours of run in.

Well it was all they had to audition at the time, CTM and JH. That's why the CTM500 is quite popular locally. Thanks for the tip tho. Using BTG Starlight with mine.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #700 of 1,062
Does the BTG starlight sound any different from a regular cable IYO?

It's very subtle. The treble seemed slightly clearer and the sound is just a bit more open. Didn't do direct a/b with stock though. Bought mainly for great build quality.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #701 of 1,062
Well it was all they had to audition at the time, CTM and JH. That's why the CTM500 is quite popular locally. Thanks for the tip tho. Using BTG Starlight with mine.

beerchug.gif
 I tried a bunch (other silvers, SPC, Hybrid, Litz of various configs, coppers etc.) and the TWAG was what worked best for me. The SPCs I tried were a bit forward/energetic, like they didn't get as black, for me but that doesn't mean yours is as I haven't heard the BTG.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #702 of 1,062
I am going to use this thread to post brief feelimgs on iems I tested today in HK. There were all tested briefly, 5-15mn depending on my appreciation, out of the X7 with iem amp.

I tried the Campfire Audio Lyra first, and really liked it. For a musical, well built and well balanced iem, you can't go wrong with this, one of my favorites of the day.

I then tried the Aurisonics Harmony, didn't do much for me. Hybrids such as the Oriolus sound clearly better IMHO.

Then I checked the Fitear (I own the 335) Monet 17, Aya and 335SR. The SR is the too, like the 335 but with more balance and sparkle up top, the Monet 17 is impressive but a bit aggressive on the highs. The Aya is just ok if you consider competition at this price.

After Jaben, I went to visit Rhapsodio and tried the RT2 and the Solar. The RT2 has aa very spacious and dynamic airy sound. But it is unforgiving of bad recording and high tend to become screechy them.

The Solar is the star of the day, the only one I want to buy. Great built, a bit large, perfect balance, smooth and musical, spacious, tight and layered bass, great transparent mids, smooth yet extended highs. Loved it. Only from memory, I preferred it over the K10.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #704 of 1,062
Dabbled in BAs too long. Missed the impact and realism of a dynamic driver bass. Hybrid CIEMs... what a way to go.

Yes. BA IEMs can only hope to deliver impact and texture the way a good dynamic driver can. This is why I'm very interested in hybrids at the moment - they offer the best of both worlds. As AAW, and other companies have shown, a well tuned hybrid can sound absolutely magical.

Btw, welcome to the W500 club. 
smile.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #705 of 1,062

Quite a shame.. the W500 actually sounds best with EDM, IMO. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back