Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
Oct 30, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #646 of 1,062
The general upgrade plan for sound quality, is to get better earphones, followed by a DAP, then maybe an amp, and lastly a cable to eke out the last 5%. Talking about cables in certain parts of headfi will get you in an argument lol.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #647 of 1,062
The general upgrade plan for sound quality, is to get better earphones, followed by a DAP, then maybe an amp, and lastly a cable to eke out the last 5%. Talking about cables in certain parts of headfi will get you in an argument lol.

Amp seems to always be optional for me to be honest. Since IEMs hardly need amping unless they're TOTL stuffs. And as for cables, well...I only go  for what I am recommended should I go that far.

But other than that, I am pleased to focus on upgrading to A2H Pro for the time being since it's the most affordable upgrade to me. I am still pleased with my Fiio X1 though. So it'll take a while before I consider a DAP upgrade, let alone an amp unit. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #648 of 1,062
Oh? They have it on Jaben Nu Sentral? I'll need to ask them tomorrow. Though I can only audition on Fridays since it's my day off. But thanks for telling me. :atsmile:

Oh yes. I tested my first batch of CIEMs from that very branch. Ended up getting the JH13.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #649 of 1,062
Oh yes. I tested my first batch of CIEMs from that very branch. Ended up getting the JH13.

Oh? How is your impression on it? I only auditioned the JH5 and Rox.

To be honest...I...don't quite like the Roxanne's sound at all for some reason. It sounds so...I dunno..muddy or dark to my ears through my Fiio X1. Is it my DAP bottlenecking? 
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #652 of 1,062
  Oh? How is your impression on it? I only auditioned the JH5 and Rox.

To be honest...I...don't quite like the Roxanne's sound at all for some reason. It sounds so...I dunno..muddy or dark to my ears through my Fiio X1. Is it my DAP bottlenecking? 
frown.gif

JH13 is a big jump for me coming from ATH-IM03 and GR07. It's incredibly clear and balanced, with a forward, aggressive sound. The amount of bass, mids, treble is just right... and the most realistic cymbal splash I have heard in an IEM. Soundstage wasn't the biggest (Roxanne was far bigger) but I love the tonality a lot more here. Listened to it once, got poisoned, bought it the next day. Roxanne was too V-shaped for my liking. Great bass and treble and soundstage but the mids suffered. Not really your DAP bottleneck I think. Sound sig preference more likely.

And just an example of the CTM500 punching above its weight, their mids are better than the JH13, but I like the overall JH13 sig better. Perfect for rock.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #653 of 1,062

JH13 is a big jump for me coming from ATH-IM03 and GR07. It's incredibly clear and balanced, with a forward, aggressive sound. The amount of bass, mids, treble is just right... and the most realistic cymbal splash I have heard in an IEM. Soundstage wasn't the biggest (Roxanne was far bigger) but I love the tonality a lot more here. Listened to it once, got poisoned, bought it the next day. Roxanne was too V-shaped for my liking. Great bass and treble and soundstage but the mids suffered. Not really your DAP bottleneck I think. Sound sig preference more likely.

And just an example of the CTM500 punching above its weight, their mids are better than the JH13, but I like the overall JH13 sig better. Perfect for rock.

Ah, thanks for telling me. :)

This is my current setup: Fiio X1 + ATH-CKR9

So, I want my first custom upgrade to be good. But who knows...maybe I'll prefer the CTM500 more the next week I audition it (If they have a demo still). But for now my eyes are locked to the A2H Pro.The pricing is almost too good to be true for me.

Then I might consider a DAP upgrade (Cayin N5 or Fiio X5 II probably)

And I am a 80% Pop (of all kinds) and 20% metal/rock. :) So...yeah. It might be my preferred sound sig.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #654 of 1,062
  Ah, thanks for telling me. :)

This is my current setup: Fiio X1 + ATH-CKR9

So, I want my first custom upgrade to be good. But who knows...maybe I'll prefer the CTM500 more the next week I audition it (If they have a demo still). But for now my eyes are locked to the A2H Pro.The pricing is almost too good to be true for me.

Then I might consider a DAP upgrade (Cayin N5 or Fiio X5 II probably)

And I am a 80% Pop (of all kinds) and 20% metal/rock. :) So...yeah. It might be my preferred sound sig.

I have the CKR9 too! Love that thing. Very fun sound with good bass and mids.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #655 of 1,062

I have the CKR9 too! Love that thing. Very fun sound with good bass and mids.

*high fives*

But yeah, I love the sound on it (Burned in about 50+ hours so far) And I like my favorite OMAM music sounds with it.

But after auditioning the A2H and W500 AHMorph, I am just intoxicated now. xD

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #656 of 1,062
And with upgrading your iems, upgrading your dap is almost a must to do them justice and get the best sq out of them
rolleyes.gif

The well known "sorry about your wallet'' thing I'm afraid
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #657 of 1,062
  And with upgrading your iems, upgrading your dap is almost a must to do them justice and get the best sq out of them
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

That's about as true as one can say, I believe. 
tongue.gif

Then again, the CIEM I am aiming for already sound delicious on my feeble little Fiio X1. It's not that hard to beat that DAP and kick it to the curb I believe.

I could be going for Cayin N5 (Which I am hearing a lot of great things with and had since auditioned it). or Fiio X5 II or some other DAPs that are around that price range. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #658 of 1,062
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Exactly haha, when I bought the JH13 I thought, the best earphones deserve the best DAP... and I bought the AK100ii shortly after.

Still happy though.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #659 of 1,062

Exactly haha, when I bought the JH13 I thought, the best earphones deserve the best DAP... and I bought the AK100ii shortly after.

Still happy though.

You've the AK100ii? Damn...now I jelly. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #660 of 1,062
I could be going for Cayin N5 (Which I am hearing a lot of great things with and had since auditioned it). or Fiio X5 II or some other DAPs that are around that price range. 
biggrin.gif

The upcoming iBasso DX80 might also be a very interesting dap in that price range.
I'm considering it myself to replace my 'old' DX90
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back