Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2,792 of 11,664
Quote:
Wow, my pf viii gets dirty really quick. Half of the brass shell has already been covered with my fingerprints. It also seems like a pain to get them off, ive tried to wipe them off with a microfibre cloth and no luck. Seems like i need to buy me some metal cleaner.

will pf viii gets dirty? I thought pf iii is the most won't dirty pf than the other , because pf viii don't have plating on it.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #2,793 of 11,664
Quote:
will pf viii gets dirty? I thought pf iii is the most won't dirty pf than the other , because pf viii don't have plating on it.

Yeah, mistake on my part. I realized it's not me but the brass housing has formed some sort of tarnish or something. It looks pretty unappealing and I hope it can come off with some cleaner. If not, I'll just let it age and hopefully it'll cover the whole earphone.

I hope you can make it out, especially on the tip in the first picture, ugggh. I'm wondering if any other head-fier has the same problem?

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,794 of 11,664
Quote:

Yeah, mistake on my part. I realized it's not me but the brass housing has formed some sort of tarnish or something. It looks pretty unappealing and I hope it can come off with some cleaner. If not, I'll just let it age and hopefully it'll cover the whole earphone.

I hope you can make it out, especially on the tip in the first picture, ugggh. I'm wondering if any other head-fier has the same problem?

I have some questions...how much did you buy your pf viii  in asia? because my friend's pf viii doesn't have this problem....

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #2,795 of 11,664
I have some questions...how much did you buy your pf viii  in asia
? because my friend's pf viii doesn't have this problem....

I am currently staying in Beijing and bought my viii open boxed from a local audio shop. After some bargain I paid 4000rmb for these (around $700 usd).

How long did your friend have his viii's for? I am now almost certain that it's tarnish on the surface of my viii. Does climate matter? I do find Beijing very humid

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,796 of 11,664
I am from Taiwan, my friend's viii has been used for more than a year, but his pf viii is previous versions, it doesn't have a " final " logo on it.
I found out that there are some strange pf viii on [size=small]taobao[/size], I'm a little bit worried about it.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,797 of 11,664
I am from Taiwan, my friend's viii has been used for more than a year, but his viii is previous versions, it doesn't have logo on it.

I'm wondering if the viiis gets a coating or polish of some sort before coming out. If not, then i guess brass oxidizing is normal.

Im also aware of fakes, it has been said before that there are fakes of the viiis. But then my viiis sound so legit, music has never been so emotional/intimate. But this issue caused me some concern so I am torn between returning it or not.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,798 of 11,664
So I FINALLY tried all three Piano Forte models today.

It seemed to have the most bass impact out of the three, with the VIII in second place and the IX with the least.
They all had much more bass quantity than I had earlier thought, which was more than satisfying for me.
Couldn't tell the differences in treble due to external noise at the time.

Between the VIII and the IX, I felt that I preferred the VIII by a slight margin. I felt that it worked better with more genres than the IX.
The IX, though more polarising and mid focused, felt more 'magical' to me though. By this I mean that although I preferred the VIII's more, I kept wanting to go back to the IX.
Though I liked the X-CC a lot overall, the price was a little high 
redface.gif

Since this was at a loud meet I'm not sure if the differences I heard were as pronounced as I thought.
Does anyone else feel the same way I do, especially regarding the differences between the VIII and the IX?

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #2,799 of 11,664
Long time reader and first time poster. I am on page 90 and have fair bit to read however from what I've gathered the PF main weakness to me is that it will have control over its owner instead of their owner over them meaning their tunning and sound will end up forcing their owners to listen to a particular type of music more than the other.

I was going to order the VI but been a cat owner I think I might give this cat natured PF series some serious consideration.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,800 of 11,664
Quote:
Long time reader and first time poster. I am on page 90 and have fair bit to read however from what I've gathered the PF main weakness to me is that it will have control over its owner instead of their owner over them meaning their tunning and sound will end up forcing their owners to listen to a particular type of music more than the other.

I was going to order the VI but been a cat owner I think I might give this cat natured PF series some serious consideration.

Don't always rely on what Mr Mimouille says in other threads:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I am listening to this song out of mg ak120 and Kaede and it sounds superb.

http://youtu.be/4hZ4qiDEK8k

I am listening to this song out of mg ak120 and Kaede with my PF IXs and it sounds superb.

http://youtu.be/4hZ4qiDEK8k

Well of course I am sure pure vocal tracks like this should sound great on the PFIX
smily_headphones1.gif

On a slightly less serious note, if you cannot audition the PFs anywhere, this may well be a pretty serious (sonic) gamble, so I strongly suggest you do a bit more reading as these are not cheap phones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2,801 of 11,664
I've gambled ALL the gear I bought, only recently I've got the chance to audition things after I made my friends and family addicted to gears like myself. Iam open to new things, part of the excitement.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,803 of 11,664
Might sale a few gear and go crazy and order the X, but XI is just okay albeit I am digging into my saving. I'll decide by tomorrow I need a new thing to test by this weekend, I must fill in the void that my job makes in me during the week.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,804 of 11,664
Lol, skipping the VI then?

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,805 of 11,664
Quote:
Might sale a few gear and go crazy and order the X, but XI is just okay albeit I am digging into my saving. I'll decide by tomorrow I need a new thing to test by this weekend, I must fill in the void that my job makes in me during the week.

First off, there is no such thing as a PF XI, but there is the PF IX.  :wink:

Now seriously, I very strongly suggest you do NOT order the PF X as it's far too expensive and if you don't like the PF sonics, you may have a pretty hard time selling those. As you seem to be already pretty keen on getting a pair of PFs, I suggest you get the PF IXs (or even the PF VIII). If you're not happy with them, I think you might be able to sell them fairly fast (specially the IXs, in my view) — perhaps our fellow HF'er utdeep, aka The Eternal Newbie, might snatch your pair (of IXs), then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back