Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,477 of 11,644
I feel like a lot of people here define soundstage size by forward projection, like the IE8/80. Personally, I didn't think the IE8 soundstage was as big as everyone said. Sure it was very forward projected but total depth was nothing crazier than I've heard with other IEMs. Neither was width. It did sound cavernous though which gives the appearance of a great space, similar to the ASG-1.

Almost forgot: Thanks for the impressions Inks and Ridleyguy.

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,478 of 11,644
I feel like a lot of people here define soundstage size by forward projection, like the IE8/80. Personally, I didn't think the IE8 soundstage was as big as everyone said. Sure it was very forward projected but total depth was nothing crazier than I've heard with other IEMs. Neither was width. It did sound cavernous though which gives the appearance of a great space, similar to the ASG-1.

Almost forgot: Thanks for the impressions Inks and Ridleyguy.

You're welcome, and I think you hit the nail on the head with your description of the IE8s' soundstage!

As to comparing the Heaven V Aging to the Heaven IV, I haven't spent a lot of time yet with the V, so please consider these early impressions accordingly, but at least in my modest portable setup, my very early impressions are that the IV seems to have a slightly more neutral and 'leaner' sound signature to me than the V. And although FAD prices the two quite differently, I don't necessarily think that in a blind listening test, once again out of a modest portable system, that a majority of people would automatically pick the V over the IV. Musical preferences would likely also play a significant role in determining this, as in my case, I listen primarily to classical music, and so the relative neutrality of the IV is attractive to me, with other characteristics being less important, such as bass, for example.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,479 of 11,644
Heaven VI vs PF-IX comparison.

Tonight I used my TP - > Corda Quickstep combo to compare the HVI and PFIX. I used a blu ray rip of one of my favorite classic rock band's concert recordings. 24-48, but the TP only plays at 16 bits.

Notes:

HVI: Deeper bass, for sure. Vocals and guitar much more recessed/in the background.

PFIX: Definitely less bass, no 'near-visceral' impact like with the HVI. Vocals and guitar sound sublime, almost realistic. Much more detailed and textured.

Crowd noise: In the far background with HVI. With the PFIX, sounds like I am surrounded by the crowd.

Once I get used to the less bass/lack of low bass impact with the PFIX's, once again, I feel (almost) like I'm at the show.

After several listens, I hate to use the 'C' word, but I think it may come down to it. The PF-IXs are more coherent, live sounding, and overall more convincing when presenting a live show. With the caveat that they aren't as capable with low bass, or upper treble. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2,481 of 11,644
What is that behind them? I must know your secrets!

I've never heard anyone use the word coherency in reference to two single drivers so thats kind of intriguing. Thanks for the compro and the eye candy (in a non cheap way, unless that was your intention lol). :smile:

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,482 of 11,644
Quote:
What is that behind them? I must know your secrets!

very_evil_smiley.gif
size]

I've never heard anyone use the word coherency in reference to two single drivers so thats kind of intriguing. 

That could've been the whiskey talking typing.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2,484 of 11,644
Oh man, I love it!

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #2,487 of 11,644
damn, nearly shade my tears on one Chinese song by [size=x-small]Tsai Chin. The emotional impact is so engraving just now.[/size]
[size=x-small]I think the "hall-like" effect creates magic which is not supposed to be known to mankind LOL.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back