Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #994 of 11,644
Jan 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #995 of 11,644
The sound during the first 72 hours burn in for my IX was pretty defective. If you find yourself questioning your purchase during this time, don't listen. :wink:

And it suddenly changed.

The next 72 hours good things happened and all stabilised around the 160 hour mark.

Since the driver in all 3 models in the PF range is the same, I'd expect the break in to be pretty simillar.

Look forward to your opinion as I'm thinking about switching to the X.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #996 of 11,644
Quote:
The sound during the first 72 hours burn in for my IX was pretty defective. If you find yourself questioning your purchase during this time, don't listen. :wink:

And it suddenly changed.

Sounds more like it was your soul going through the burn in :)

Their signature is one that usually elicits this response:

"What have I done?!"

later...

"Hmm, these songs sound pretty decent with the Piano Forte."

even later...

"Oh my goodness! Such beauty, such radiance. It's like I'm hearing music for the first time! My life has meaning now!"

Well, the last one was a little hyperbolic, but the concept is the same. Once you learn to appreciate the PF's unconventional style, it's difficult to go back.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #997 of 11,644
Sounds more like it was your soul going through the burn in :)

Their signature is one that usually elicits this response:

"What have I done?!"

later...

"Hmm, these songs sound pretty decent with the Piano Forte."

even later...

"Oh my goodness! Such beauty, such radiance. It's like I'm hearing music for the first time! My life has meaning now!"

Well, the last one was a little hyperbolic, but the concept is the same. Once you learn to appreciate the PF's unconventional style, it's difficult to go back.

... And then add a tube amp into the equation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I know I sound like a broken record at the moment but I know Paul agree's, get a decent tube amp behind the PF and all that you said is magnified greatly...Oh what larx pip, what larx!

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #998 of 11,644
As others have said here. The epiphany is sometimes resounding and swift on those Piano Fortes!

Gosh. Marconi Union's new Different Colors is just excellent on the PFs. What a relaxing experience.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #999 of 11,644
Quote:
As others have said here. The epiphany is sometimes resounding and swift on those Piano Fortes!

Gosh. Marconi Union's new Different Colors is just excellent on the PFs. What a relaxing experience.

On the FI-BA-SS, I am surprised by how recordings that probably sibilant sound ok. And things recorded better, the timbre/tone seem right on.  Despite what some say, I think it has a bit of a chameleon like character.  Not what I was expecting -- I was expecting more harsh but so far quite nice and detailed.

I imagine the PFs are even warmer and more foregivng?

Really both you and Muppetface have been right on with your reviews.  Much thanks.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,000 of 11,644
Oh yes. I listened to that album on both the PFs and the FI-BA-SS. Both very different experiences, I'm not sure which one I liked most! Both are just fantastic. And you're right, you might think the SS would be harsh at times based on what you've read about them. But they just aren't. I am loving them to death! I can't wait for Ian to get a pair. I think he will just fall in love.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,001 of 11,644
I am actually slightly surprised how they make bad recordings sound good.  So I have a fair amount of old pop - I was listening to an old Olivia Newton John song (don't laugh) - Xanadu - pretty much a crap recording.  These made it sound good and not only that it keeps surprising me  (in a good way) where you could pick up the bass and instrument separation in each ear. Just kind of a trippy experience.  I have some Enya stuff and these make them sound surreal.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,002 of 11,644
You know, I'm with you on that. They are very exposing, but I have yet to find something that just sounds horribly awkward for the IEMs.

Glad I picked up a pair with them being discontinued. Either perfectly great timing or perfectly horrible. It can't be bad as I am loving these little guys to pieces.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #1,004 of 11,644
Congrats, there was another X-CC @ e-earphone.jp just sold on the 27th for 99,000 yen.

I did place an order for X-G last week but e-earphone.jp simply canceled that without any notifications whatsoever.

Most likely they might not like overseas credit cards and there is not an affordable way to order something.

Oh well, just save my money for FAD Pandora instead.

I ordered mine from musica acoustics cause that seems to be the only option here in US.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,005 of 11,644
For people in the US, I'd recommend either Musica Acoustics or PriceJapan. For the latter, you can get price quotes even for products that aren't listed by filling out the forms on their site.

Alternatively you can shop at Amazon.co.jp and have things forwarded using a service like Tenso (which is actually easier than it may sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back