Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #976 of 11,644
Great Choice Mike, she had such a wonderful voice.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #978 of 11,644
Wanted to say thanks to those on this forum who gave reviews on the FI-BA-SS.  I absolutely love this IEM.  Sounds great out of my iphone.  I am coming from an ER-4p I had lost on the plane.  Clarity of the ER-4p certainly.  So far great treble extension and transparency without sounding sibilant.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #979 of 11,644
Quote:
Wanted to say thanks to those on this forum who gave reviews on the FI-BA-SS.  I absolutely love this IEM.  Sounds great out of my iphone.  I am coming from an ER-4p I had lost on the plane.  Clarity of the ER-4p certainly.  So far great treble extension and transparency without sounding sibilant.

Welcome to the club, glad you got one of these before they're all gone!  
smile_phones.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #980 of 11,644
Yeah I am thrilled.  I also want to get a ATH-W3000ANV for a totally different sound.

Are these expected to be limited in production?  What are the best portable/desktop dac/amps for these?

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #981 of 11,644
Ian, I cannot overemphasize how introducing some nice NOS tubes into the sound chain has pushed the PF IX to the next level.  
size]

One thing for sure, when t comes to synergy with the Piano Fortes not all tubes are created equal. Experimental rolling is de rigueur. And fun.  
size]

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #982 of 11,644
Paul. I am so happy your finding what I am!

Already into the experimenting today arrived the NOS RCA Tung-Sols the 1u4's for the pre-amp stage and pretty much right away it was obvious the superiority over the Sylvania's!
I now have an all Tung-sol set in the amp and with the introduction of these into the game there is an even greater sense of space around voices and instruments, a degree more texture as well, especially on harp.

I was listening tonight to The Chieftans and the Harp on that through the PF's and these new tubes.. Oh my!

Next week should see the arrival of the mullards, Brimars and GEC's.. What fun! But again, like you, i cannot emphasize enough how the synergy between the PF's and tubes are a match made in heaven!

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #985 of 11,644
Quote:
I have come back here after quite a while. Have I missed something? When did the BA-SS go out of production? And what's coming in their place?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613641/final-audio-design-appreciation-discussion-thread/945#post_9077328

As Tom says, there have been rumors of its discontinuation for a while now. When I spoke to a supplier several months back, he mentioned FAD's plan to stop production. Now it seems to be official, and vendors are no longer able to get new stock of the FI-BA-SS. What's there on the market atm is all that's left.

No idea what they plan on replacing it with at this point, but hopefully it'll be something really nice.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #986 of 11,644
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613641/final-audio-design-appreciation-discussion-thread/945#post_9077328

As Tom says, there have been rumors of its discontinuation for a while now. When I spoke to a supplier several months back, he mentioned FAD's plan to stop production. Now it seems to be official, and vendors are no longer able to get new stock of the FI-BA-SS. What's there on the market atm is all that's left.

No idea what they plan on replacing it with at this point, but hopefully it'll be something really nice.

Thanks for the info MuppetFace! I am so glad I already own a pair! :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #987 of 11,644
I am very glad I bought them.  They are just awesome.  Granted my experience in IEMs is limited between ER-4Ps, Shure 435(?) and these FADs.

Any suggestions on good/great DACs and amps for these?

I was torn between these and the FitEar 334s but didn't want to wait any longer.  May get those later.

My next goal is acquiring a pair of ATH-W3000ANVs for home use.

Another question -- why are the Piano Forte X's soooo expensive?

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #988 of 11,644
Another question -- why are the Piano Forte X's soooo expensive?

I know its not the answer your looking for but for me with the enjoyment and musical satisfaction I get from them they are the best value headphones I have purchased to date!

i think though it is a small company and from what I can gather everything is made in house, profit margins are smaller due to less being made which is probably why they have now started to make things in China so as to increase profits.. I must admit though I would rather they make less and charge more and still make in Japan as for me Japanese made electronics have an almost mythical status in my feelings.

And BTW, I am no knocking Chinese made stuff, just that I like the Japanese philosophies on things they make, that they are also the embodiment of the spirit of those who design and make them.. And that you can't put a price on!

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #989 of 11,644
No you gave a good answer.  And I agree I am pretty willing to pay a premium for Japanese workmanship.

Hence, why I bought the FI-BA-SS IEMs which are not exactly cheap (and on the lookout for the W3000ANVs).  I was trying to figure out if the sonic quality for a $2800 IEM is up there somehow with the best Over ear phones or if this is more of a limited production item and hence, the higher price.  It's basically at Stax price levels.  From what little I have read, the Piano Forte X's have a certain sonic signature people prefer but what I am wondering is if the technical characteristics warrant the price premium.  Hope my question makes more sense.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #990 of 11,644
Quote:
No you gave a good answer.  And I agree I am pretty willing to pay a premium for Japanese workmanship.

Hence, why I bought the FI-BA-SS IEMs which are not exactly cheap (and on the lookout for the W3000ANVs).  I was trying to figure out if the sonic quality for a $2800 IEM is up there somehow with the best Over ear phones or if this is more of a limited production item and hence, the higher price.  It's basically at Stax price levels.  From what little I have read, the Piano Forte X's have a certain sonic signature people prefer but what I am wondering is if the technical characteristics warrant the price premium.  Hope my question makes more sense.

MY X-CC is here, will give you an answer soon : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back