Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #10,336 of 11,642
this does not compute
I can get it to work on my 2012 thinkpad running linux, yet for windows it's a hardware dependency?
It depends on your hardware not the software (windows).

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #10,337 of 11,642
I asked Bloom Audio when the A3000 and A4000 would be available in the USA. Final responded to them that it should be in January 2021.

That's great to hear about, I have been waiting to finally get some word about it. (Pun intended.)
I really want to get my hands on the Final Audio A4000 but I am skeptical if it will be as good as people say it is.

Not sure if it can get any better than the Sony WF-1000XM3 (I adore these despite being wireless earbuds) but we will have to wait and see. At the very least, I hope that the comfort and soundstage is pretty good as people have been saying. The treble being sibilant or not is going to be the deciding factor for me (I sure hope it isn't).

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #10,338 of 11,642
FAD mmcx 4.4mm cable is expensive.
decided to just re-terminate stock cable to 4.4mm

4417283B-F25B-4BCA-A738-31CC557439AC.jpeg

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #10,341 of 11,642
Love/hate relationship continues with my E5000. I just got the ZX507 and the N3 (with upgrade balanced cable) and been listening at every available moment since Christmas day, maybe 25 hours total - loving the combination but at times a bit bass heavy... volume wise I'm typically at around 60/120 on balanced with high gain off. I decided to try the E5000 for the first time today on the 507 - while listening to the same album on the N3, I switched over - I had to crank up to 90/120 and sounded poor compared to the N3 - quite muffled.

I have a Kbear balanced cable on the way, should be here tomorrow so maybe the E5000 balanced will improve - also, I'm wondering if burn in on the ZX507 is specific to 3.5mm and balanced?

I'm still in the Amazon return window so a few more days grace before I give in! Important to note and I must compare again, I had definitely started to love them with some genres on my ZX300 which has 1000s of hours play on 3.5mm.

20201228_122316.jpg

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #10,342 of 11,642
Been just listening to the D8000 using the FiiO M15 to stream lossless as digital transport via spdif coaxial into the Bricasti M1 DAC and the Cavalli Liquid Gold. Almost forgotten how luscious the sound that come out of the D8000. Bliss! :)

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #10,343 of 11,642
My E3000's left side suddenly became much quieter than the right side, it doesn't sound muffled or weird, just really quiet. Any idea on why is it happening?
Could be several things although I believe all those things are to do with electronics.

Step one for me being the most un-invasive step would be to get a multimeter and set it to resistance and then measure the resistance of one driver then then other and see if the resistance on one is significantly higher.
This would consist of measuring the poles on the 3.5mm end with negative to the sleeve and then moving the positive between the tip and ring to isolate each driver respectively. 10 percent difference is within margin of error in my opinion on these lower impedance drivers.

(Note: Measuring resistance is different to measuring impedance so the resistance value is most likely going to differ the 16 ohms rated impedance.)

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #10,344 of 11,642
Love/hate relationship continues with my E5000. I just got the ZX507 and the N3 (with upgrade balanced cable) and been listening at every available moment since Christmas day, maybe 25 hours total - loving the combination but at times a bit bass heavy... volume wise I'm typically at around 60/120 on balanced with high gain off. I decided to try the E5000 for the first time today on the 507 - while listening to the same album on the N3, I switched over - I had to crank up to 90/120 and sounded poor compared to the N3 - quite muffled.

I have a Kbear balanced cable on the way, should be here tomorrow so maybe the E5000 balanced will improve - also, I'm wondering if burn in on the ZX507 is specific to 3.5mm and balanced?

I'm still in the Amazon return window so a few more days grace before I give in! Important to note and I must compare again, I had definitely started to love them with some genres on my ZX300 which has 1000s of hours play on 3.5mm.

20201228_122316.jpg
By N3 I assume you are referring to the Cayin N3? I have the Cayin N3 and noticed that it has a less robust current output which means that headphones and IEM's that like higher current don't get as much as they could take resulting in more rolled off bass. The E5000 is a fairly bassy IEM to start with so that's probably why the N3 pairing works quite well.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #10,345 of 11,642
By N3 I assume you are referring to the Cayin N3? I have the Cayin N3 and noticed that it has a less robust current output which means that headphones and IEM's that like higher current don't get as much as they could take resulting in more rolled off bass. The E5000 is a fairly bassy IEM to start with so that's probably why the N3 pairing works quite well.

Sorry no, I should have been more specific - the Sony XBA-N3 IEM.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #10,346 of 11,642
Could be several things although I believe all those things are to do with electronics.

Step one for me being the most un-invasive step would be to get a multimeter and set it to resistance and then measure the resistance of one driver then then other and see if the resistance on one is significantly higher.
This would consist of measuring the poles on the 3.5mm end with negative to the sleeve and then moving the positive between the tip and ring to isolate each driver respectively. 10 percent difference is within margin of error in my opinion on these lower impedance drivers.

(Note: Measuring resistance is different to measuring impedance so the resistance value is most likely going to differ the 16 ohms rated impedance.)
Thanks, I'll give it a shot, just need to find my old multimeter somewhere...

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #10,347 of 11,642
Final Audio has stated here several times before that the majority of iems they get back for service for channel imbalance that the imbalance is due to wax buildup in the tips or filter screens. Remove your tips and clean them and make sure that the filter screens are clean.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #10,348 of 11,642

Very rarely is it down to electronic issues with the E series.

As @dpump said, it is usually down to earwax.

@onlyteagan try this:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fin...scussion-thread.613641/page-611#post-15426638

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #10,349 of 11,642
Very rarely is it down to electronic issues with the E series.

As @dpump said, it is usually down to earwax.

@onlyteagan try this:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fin...scussion-thread.613641/page-611#post-15426638

Thanks for the solution, I didn't think it's on the eartips (they are new (1 week) Final E tips), and I did read about the earwax issues, but my filter seems fine and clean, didn't think it'll be clogged BEHIND the filter, so thanks for the hot water post suggestion, will try it out, hopefully the plastic will not warp or anything...

*edit:
Just tried the hot water method, and it works! there's still a really slight imbalance, but I can live with it, but are there any way to fix the filter susceptibility to earwax blockage? or substitute them with something else?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #10,350 of 11,642
Thanks for the solution, I didn't think it's on the eartips (they are new (1 week) Final E tips), and I did read about the earwax issues, but my filter seems fine and clean, didn't think it'll be clogged BEHIND the filter, so thanks for the hot water post suggestion, will try it out, hopefully the plastic will not warp or anything...

*edit:
Just tried the hot water method, and it works! there's still a really slight imbalance, but I can live with it, but are there any way to fix the filter susceptibility to earwax blockage? or substitute them with something else?

Try the water method a couple of times for the best results :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back