Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #8,581 of 11,643
Hey guys,
Since it's very difficult to find comparisons involving Final Audio Products, I thought I would ask here.

I currently have the Sonorous VI with the Type C pads, and I love these headphones, but I was looking to upgrade, or buy some more portable headphones to complement them ( I mainly listen to Classical Music ).

I was looking at the Sonorous VIII since I enjoy so much the VI and would like to know if they are a worthy upgrade, or the Focal Clear, so I would like to ask how both of these headphones compare to each other and to the Sonorous VI.

Another route would be buying some more portable headphones and keep listening to the Sonorous VI, and I was thinking about the Piano Forte VIII or IX, any thoughts on that? Is it worth the IX over the VIII? And how would the level of sound quality compre to the Sonorous VI?

I know that it's a lot of very specific questions, but I would appreciate your help since It's almost impossible for me to try these headphones before purchase, otherwise you bet I would be trying them for myself instead of asking.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #8,582 of 11,643
Hey guys,
Since it's very difficult to find comparisons involving Final Audio Products, I thought I would ask here.

I currently have the Sonorous VI with the Type C pads, and I love these headphones, but I was looking to upgrade, or buy some more portable headphones to complement them ( I mainly listen to Classical Music ).

I was looking at the Sonorous VIII since I enjoy so much the VI and would like to know if they are a worthy upgrade, or the Focal Clear, so I would like to ask how both of these headphones compare to each other and to the Sonorous VI.

Another route would be buying some more portable headphones and keep listening to the Sonorous VI, and I was thinking about the Piano Forte VIII or IX, any thoughts on that? Is it worth the IX over the VIII? And how would the level of sound quality compre to the Sonorous VI?

I know that it's a lot of very specific questions, but I would appreciate your help since It's almost impossible for me to try these headphones before purchase, otherwise you bet I would be trying them for myself instead of asking.

I would highly advise that if you purchase the Piano Forte you do so from a retailer that allows returns. I have the Piano Forte X, and while they are unique sounding, I probably only use them about 10% of the time or less often. They have zero sound isolation and for me play well with a very limited selection of the music I listen to. You say you mainly listen to classical so they may work for you but I believe they are the most polarizing iem I've ever owned/tried in terms of whether or not someone likes them. Just my 2 cents.

I have no experience with the Sonorous VIII, but curious if you've considered the D8000. They cost a bit more but if you search around you should be able to find a good price and they're quite incredible. There's another Final Audio thread devoted to them.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #8,583 of 11,643
I would highly advise that if you purchase the Piano Forte you do so from a retailer that allows returns. I have the Piano Forte X, and while they are unique sounding, I probably only use them about 10% of the time or less often. They have zero sound isolation and for me play well with a very limited selection of the music I listen to. You say you mainly listen to classical so they may work for you but I believe they are the most polarizing iem I've ever owned/tried in terms of whether or not someone likes them. Just my 2 cents.

I have no experience with the Sonorous VIII, but curious if you've considered the D8000. They cost a bit more but if you search around you should be able to find a good price and they're quite incredible. There's another Final Audio thread devoted to them.

Thanks for your help, can you give me an example of what music works very well with the PIano Forte? And considering that I will use from time to time, would you still advise the Piano Forte instead of some other IEM?

Unfortunately the D8000 are out of my budget ( 2000€ ) I mentioned the Sonorous VIII because I found them at a discount.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #8,584 of 11,643
I'm going to throw my quick take here on the E4000, which I impulse-bought last week on Amazon for $129 (for some reason the price dropped from $149); these things are, as many have noted, truly terrific, absolutely amazing for the price. Mine aren't broken in yet, but I love the tuning, and the fit is great. They don't better my Campfire Atlas for bass and dynamism, but they come awfully close, and given the price difference, I'm really impressed. I'm very finicky about fit, and these go deep in my ears, create a strong seal, and they are super lightweight. Can't recommend them enough.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #8,585 of 11,643
So, I try every models of E serie but the 5000.

Love them all, like....cannot really choose a favorite, especially among E1000-E2000-E3000.

To me E3000 are perhaps the bassier and warmer of E serie, and the perfect choice for treble sensitive people because this is real honney for the ears. Very natural timbre and vocal have good body to them. And now, i find all my earphones uncomfortable compared to these small buddies!

My review of E3000 is up on headfi and my BLOG

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #8,588 of 11,643
Owner of E3000 and F4100 here. Both of them are great IEMs. E3000 is warm, with gentle highs and soundstage bigger than I was expecting.

F4100 sound is more focused on midrange and highs. Excellent layering and instrument separation. Bass leaves a little to be desired, however it is present enough for rock/metal. Not enough for EDM or hip-hop. Bear in mind that they are very dependent on quality of recording. They truly shine with vocals and acoustic music. Snares, guitar or sax sound amazing. They also provide great comfort and nice isolation when inserted deep.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #8,591 of 11,643
I have to say, I am finding the final e5000 benefits a lot from using balanced out from my topping dx7s. With the stock cable, the sound is quite warm and feels slow and a bit muddy when it comes to more complex metal tracks. But with the balanced cable, it opens up the mids and adds a little bit treble and makes it feel a bit more balanced and sharper/precise when it comes to more complex tracks.

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #8,592 of 11,643
Hey guys,

The Piano Forte range is very much a 'sit down in a quite space and listen' type IEM; they provide very little isolation from outside noise and it doesn't take much head movement for them to come loose. I have the IX-T with the balanced 2.5 mm cable: the IX is supposed to be the most neutral, or least 'colored', of the range and although I haven't heard the VIII or X, I suspect that to be true; to me, the IX-T doesn't come across as particularly 'colored' in any way.
I hate jamming things in my ears and that's why I bought the PF; the insertion depth is minimal; the downside of which is the lack of isolation and some sound leakage, so listening is best done on one's own. Being a solid lump of, in my case, stainless steel, they're cold and require a few minutes warming between my hands before putting them in my ears if I want to avoid an icy shock! That might be less of an issue with the brass VIII or chrome-copper X.
I listen to jazz/fusion/prog rock most of the time and find the IX-T to be quite acceptable in terms of their treble and mid-range performance, but the bass is somewhat lacking. The thing I like most about them is that they play just beyond the ear, kind of like an over-ear 'phone, so they sound pretty wide ... for an earphone (but nowhere near as wide as the Pandora Hope 6, as it was called when I last heard it).
From what I've read, I suspect that the X might be a better choice for classical though.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #8,593 of 11,643
Just sharing a picture of a white/silver setup around the E5000. It looks great and sounds even better.
IMG_20190413_155536.jpg

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #8,594 of 11,643
The Piano Forte range is very much a 'sit down in a quite space and listen' type IEM; they provide very little isolation from outside noise and it doesn't take much head movement for them to come loose. I have the IX-T with the balanced 2.5 mm cable: the IX is supposed to be the most neutral, or least 'colored', of the range and although I haven't heard the VIII or X, I suspect that to be true; to me, the IX-T doesn't come across as particularly 'colored' in any way.
I hate jamming things in my ears and that's why I bought the PF; the insertion depth is minimal; the downside of which is the lack of isolation and some sound leakage, so listening is best done on one's own. Being a solid lump of, in my case, stainless steel, they're cold and require a few minutes warming between my hands before putting them in my ears if I want to avoid an icy shock! That might be less of an issue with the brass VIII or chrome-copper X.
I listen to jazz/fusion/prog rock most of the time and find the IX-T to be quite acceptable in terms of their treble and mid-range performance, but the bass is somewhat lacking. The thing I like most about them is that they play just beyond the ear, kind of like an over-ear 'phone, so they sound pretty wide ... for an earphone (but nowhere near as wide as the Pandora Hope 6, as it was called when I last heard it).
From what I've read, I suspect that the X might be a better choice for classical though.

The coldness of PF would be warmed as your body temperature after a while - the feeling of insertion of PF gradually disappear. Sometimes I forget that I'm wearing an earphone, only the music tells me that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back