Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 29, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #5,942 of 11,644
I had a problem with the SpinFits staying in my ear properly. No proper seal, therefore everything sounded very thin.
Somehow the surface of the SpinFits is too slippery. I don't know exactly what's the problem as SpinFits worked fine
before for me when used on a ATH-IM50.

That's why I changed to InAir foam tips: perfect seal. But my box of 5 pairs was finished and I only get back to Germany
in December (they do not ship internationally).

So I thought I try the SpiralDots as I read a lot of good things about them. They only had size M but I gave it a try.
And what can I say? Achieved perfect seal and upgraded the sound. The highs are better now as they were partly swallowed
by the foam tips before. On the other hand the SpiralDots are a small step back comfortwise compared to the foam tips.

But the SpiralDots are for sure better than the stock tips. You should give them a try!

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5,945 of 11,644
  The VI comes stock with the standard sponge ear pads which are $47.90.

The low compression ones which provide more sound isolation and a greater bass experience are $57.90.

The hybrid which come stock on the VIII and X are $74.90.

We're having a 20% off sale on Final products right now too. 

What do the hybrids that come with the VIII and X do to the sound for VI? 

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #5,948 of 11,644
Highly, highly doubt there will be another like it with Takai gone and the expensive 3D printing/titanium one off process. It's definitely a collector's item now.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #5,949 of 11,644
   What do the hybrids that come with the VIII and X do to the sound for VI? 

That is a good question! We don't currently have the VIII, X or the hybrid earpads in stock. I reached out to our Final rep. to see if he knew anything about that, and he told me they haven't finished testing out all the different combos of the phones and pads. So, hopefully, someone will be able to tell us how that combo is soon! 

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #5,950 of 11,644
I recently got the Piano Forte, steel version, and was pleasantly surprised by how the sound fit more genres than I was expecting. But it's true what they say - that they fit songs with more overall ambiance rather than thumping bass lines and harsh vocals. Still, given how ambient music, for example, can be so based in electronics, I was surprised when these earphones, being known for good rendering of acoustic and other natural tones, actually did quiet well with ambient tracks. As an ambient music fan, I was enjoying myself with these. And even some kinds of pop music worked surprisingly well with these. 

I'm more used to the V shaped sound of the TH-900s, so these were a huge change of pace for me, as they have a more A shaped sound, putting the mids forward and then layering in the rest. But for me, it was a fun adjustment to something new, rather than an irritating struggle with my previous expectations of sound. Your own mileage may vary. 

That said, yes, some rock and pop sounds almost tinny and certainly lacks something. Also, I was less pleasantly surprised by how unforgiving these can be. I don't think I have heard an earphone type less forgiving of a poor or flat sounding recording. I had thought that their unusual configuration might add something to some of my more bland tracks, but instead, they just made them worse than ever. 

I think this may have been because of what these do excel at, which includes the ability to divide the mids from the other sounds and give good separation in general. If a recording is a bit flat and compressed though, then it has little to work with. But when a recording has plenty of layers to explore, these earphones unwrap them in a wonderful way that I had not heard before, almost making up for how arguably overpriced they are. These have even helped me decipher some lyrics that have confused me for years when heard on other equipment, not through clarity and detail, but through the division of the different parts of a track. I also noticed other little effects in carefully layered ambient tracks that I had previously missed. 

The more cynical remarks you may have heard about the experience of these earphones are all true too, from a certain point of view - cold metal on your ears until they warm up, a bit like listening to seashells, priced by their looks rather than their sound quality, and not fit for many popular genres.

But personally, I sometimes get tired of the typical audiophile quest for perfect clarity and neutrality, and want a different experience that involves me with sounds in an unusual but engaging way that reveals things about tracks that I hadn't previously noticed. These provided a height and ambiance to the soundstage plus a separation that was new and engaging for me, making them worth their limitations and their price. But as others have noted, best to give these a listen before making a purchase.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #5,951 of 11,644

I wouldn't call pandora VI portable but otherwise I agree with that. I do feel they give many flagship closed headphones a real run for their money though.

mmm.......of all my headphones, the PH VI is the best-built of the bunch. It is built like a tank! It will survive the next ice age. Trade-off is the weight. Musical HP and thoroughly enjoyable.

Yup, sold mine due to the weight.  But the SQ is sterling!!

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #5,954 of 11,644
In awe when I first listened to the fibass a few years back. The clarity was second to none.

Is it still the king, or should I consider newer FADs?

Depends.
I think it does certain things better than anything on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back