Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 25, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #5,416 of 11,644
You definitely get what's claimed unlike the Moving Armature IEMs which just can't reach as low as the Balanced Air Movement from FAD.

Interestingly, FAD mention Balanced Air Movement on their product page only for the Heaven VIII, but not for the Heaven VII.

I've been wondering about this, because to my ears the VII's bass characteristics is definitely similar to the BAM-equipped earlier Heavens and the FI-BA-SS.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #5,417 of 11,644
  thanks to @james444 I was able to audition the Heaven VII

First thoughts seeing them, I'm disappointed FAD went back to their unneccesary ostentanious large heavy housings. The Heaven II-V series had much better housings, small and comfortable. The drivers should be the same size, so no need to make them so big, only for the looks. The checkers on the back remind me of the Heartbeats by Lady Gaga, kind of don't like it....Cable is flat but it isn't too obtrusive as flat cable tend to be. 

as for sound...

bass levels are a bit boosted above neutral but not too much but extension is very good for a BA, among the best Ive heard from a BA. You definitely get what's claimed unlike the Moving Armature IEMs which just can't reach as low as the Balanced Air Movement from FAD. 

Midrange is the main attraction and quite forward. For me, I find it a bit too forward but not as much as the Ortofon EQ8.

treble is a fairly present but there is a treble peak in the 8-10k area which makes it prone to sibilance. I found it mildly bothersome, but nothing to get too worried about, Meelec M-duo short triflanges helped with this. Unlike the bass, the treble rolls off quite apparently, which shows the limit of the technology here

Soundstage is small and initimate but instrument placing is done very well. The sound signature is fairly neutral with a warm tilt and midrange focus. 

Overall, it is the best FAD I've heard, topping my previous favorite the Heaven V Again, [from memory]. But I also think it's way, way overpriced, it is not 200$ better than the Heaven V and even though it is among the best single BAs out there, it still shows the limit of the technology as it can't quite cover the spectrum though it's close. 

From what i can understand it seems like the housing design is necessary for the specific sound. I dont really like how its been done but considering how good they sound i cannot argue with it.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #5,418 of 11,644
Heaven V it will be. I thought I was joining the Audio-Technica club but although I like the SQ of their products I have serious comfort issues with them. Pain to my ears after wearing for more than one hour. So I am left with Heaven IV, Heaven V and Klipsch X11. Direct A/B-ing the X11 has no chance against the Heaven IV and as I remember from another time I even prefer the V over the IV. So that will be it.
Great fit and unbelievable seal with the Heaven. They make a "plop"-sound when taking them off my ears. That's what I call seal!

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #5,421 of 11,644
I tried the FAD contact form and they respond a month later. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #5,423 of 11,644
The "PLOP"!  That's one of the things i like about the Heaven V. Sometimes i get quite the vacuum sound when

i pull them out...and they dont have to sit very deep to acheive a good seal.

I really would like to hear the Heaven VIII's at least once to convince myself of whether they are worth the extra cost...

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #5,425 of 11,644
Hey James or anyone, how does the Heaven Vii and Viii compare to the fi-ba-ss and each other. Finally gotten into the grove of the fi-ba-ss, sometimes takes a bit to acclimate to them from other phones though. I have settled on the comply tips with the micro cloth mod for now but that may go away as they appear to be burning in to my ears.

Edit-No more mod at this point…..just the Complys.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #5,426 of 11,644
I am hesitating between FIBASS and AKR02 for my obsession in vocal (I listened to a lot of Japanese songs, especially by female vocalists like MISIA and Lyrico if anybody knows them....). I use AK120TITAN mostly during the day and I also got a dx100 which is my favorite combo with K3003. So, does anyone has any suggestion combos for either of my players? 

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,427 of 11,644
  I am hesitating between FIBASS and AKR02 for my obsession in vocal (I listened to a lot of Japanese songs, especially by female vocalists like MISIA and Lyrico if anybody knows them....). I use AK120TITAN mostly during the day and I also got a dx100 which is my favorite combo with K3003. So, does anyone has any suggestion combos for either of my players? 

do you get albums like MISIA on US iTunes? I used to have japan iTunes, but after i moved to another country, i have to start using the local itunes and so, it's really hard to buy japan albums digitally, my only means of getting an album is importing them, cdjapan and the likes...

How do you get your fix of japanese albums (particularly niche japanese genre singers like MISIA and Baiji...) if i may ask...??
Because import tax on CD is killing me...

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #5,428 of 11,644

do you get albums like MISIA on US iTunes? I used to have japan iTunes, but after i moved to another country, i have to start using the local itunes and so, it's really hard to buy japan albums digitally, my only means of getting an album is importing them, cdjapan and the likes...

How do you get your fix of japanese albums (particularly niche japanese genre singers like MISIA and Baiji...) if i may ask...??

Amazing. This forum as a PM-function. Not everybody may know that.....

Back to topic: Just placed order for a pair of FAD Heaven V. Should have it early next week.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5,429 of 11,644

Amazing. This forum as a PM-function. Not everybody may know that.....

Back to topic: Just placed order for a pair of FAD Heaven V. Should have it early next week.

It's not like he's posted a million times the same question everywhere and hogged the thread about it, c'mon it's just one single question, which some including me might be interested about that answer, since FAD, being a Japanese company afterall, based their designs on Japanese songs in the first place

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #5,430 of 11,644
Final Audio is a Boutique Japanese Company that tuned their IEMs with japanese music in mind. Heaven line particularly is tuned with Japanese Soul and Japanese RnB genre in mind. The same way Piano Forte is tuned specifically for Accoustic music in mind.

Since this thread is the only Owners Club if Final Audio products, I think what I'm asking is very relevant. Look at Grado's owner thread, or Schiit Owner's thread, owners or potential owners can talk about almost anything really, and they do.

There really is no need to be rude about it Bart Simpson 1976.

It's not like he's posted a million times the same question everywhere and hogged the thread about it, c'mon it's just one single question, which some including me might be interested about that answer, since FAD, being a Japanese company afterall, based their designs on Japanese songs in the first place

I'm used to Grado and Schiit owners thread where we talk about everything really, especially on Grado's thread, it's like a routine activity where we share songs and albums that sound sublime with our Grado.

One of the point of having a common gear between each other is that we can share our collective music knowledge. If one person main tools are jvc-hafx1x and v-moda m100, i may not be interested in their music taste, but if they own a Piano Forte 8 or 10, I probably want to talk to them.

To @lty239, the main man who tuned almost all FAD products passed away, i think last year?, so the AKR02 is not tuned by him. He did have a protege that was always beside him during his last years, and that person now runs FAD. I'm not really up-to-date with recent FAD news but my guess is he is now the man who runs FAD, and possibly the person who's responsible for the AKR02 tuning.

If you want a full FAD experience, FIBASS is the way to go, but I've never heard AKR02, which one will sound better to your ear is yours alone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back