Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 29, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #5,326 of 11,665
   LOL!!!   See my post just now on the Pandora thread!!!

How do you get balanced, I use the X5.   Do I need another player???

You can use the X5's digital/coaxial out to some balanced DAC, balanced DAC/amp 

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #5,327 of 11,665
I just jumped on board with the fi-ba-ss. Got at canjam. Helped with my footfall issues probably due to ports so seal is not so constricted like my customs. Fighting a bit with the sound signiture and fatigue. Maybe my ears/brain just need burn in. At home I realized they are very bright and first day I struggled hearing bass. Now I hear the bass but still bright and can only listen for limited periods like 30-45 minutes before it becomes painful. Clarity and detail is best I've ever heard though. Have also now changed to comply tips which I had from an earlier pair of iems and fit perfectly. Jury is still out but at the price I just better get used to them.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #5,328 of 11,665
Well, with money in hand I was adamant to get my Layla at Can Jam, but I ended up getting the FI-BA-SS. What a clear and transparent phones. Looking forward to enjoy it.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,332 of 11,665
which piano forte did you pick up? and i really do agree that they are truly very unique sounding. one will either love it alot or don't.

I got the VIII's. I had budgeted about $1600 for some K10's but after I heard the Forte I had to put the Nobles on hold. First listened to the FI-BA-SS and was very impressed but they sounded similar to most other IEMs I'd tried, albeit high quality for sure.

Next I tried the VIII's and I kept going between the X and the VIII for quite a while at the Final table then settled on the brass. I honestly didn't know there was even a price difference and was really surprised to find out there was a huge price difference.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,333 of 11,665
Oh why did u chose fibass instead of layla?

In a nutshell, it wasn't a result of any comparison between the two. I listened long and hard to the Layla first and came away not satisfied. Toward the end of the show I had the chance to listen to the Fibass and liked it's clean and transparency.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #5,334 of 11,665
I just jumped on board with the fi-ba-ss. Got at canjam. Helped with my footfall issues probably due to ports so seal is not so constricted like my customs. Fighting a bit with the sound signiture and fatigue. Maybe my ears/brain just need burn in. At home I realized they are very bright and first day I struggled hearing bass. Now I hear the bass but still bright and can only listen for limited periods like 30-45 minutes before it becomes painful. Clarity and detail is best I've ever heard though. Have also now changed to comply tips which I had from an earlier pair of iems and fit perfectly. Jury is still out but at the price I just better get used to them.

There are several options to tame treble on the FI-BA-SS. The easiest one is to put a layer of non-woven fabric (alcohol swab, microfiber cloth) between the nozzle and tips.

Another one is to use Sony hybrid tips for tuning, which have a slightly smaller bore size than the nozzle. These will make the FI-BA-SS sound almost a bit dark. Now, the trick is to gradually trim the tip stems, millimeter by millimeter. As the stems get shorter, the sound signature will become brighter again. Simply stop trimming when you think the sound signature is right for you. Most people I know ended up cutting off about half of the tip stem.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #5,335 of 11,665

There are several options to tame treble on the FI-BA-SS. The easiest one is to put a layer of non-woven fabric (alcohol swab, microfiber cloth) between the nozzle and tips.

Another one is to use Sony hybrid tips for tuning, which have a slightly smaller bore size than the nozzle. These will make the FI-BA-SS sound almost a bit dark. Now, the trick is to gradually trim the tip stems, millimeter by millimeter. As the stems get shorter, the sound signature will become brighter again. Simply stop trimming when you think the sound signature is right for you. Most people I know ended up cutting off about half of the tip stem.

Thank you, when i get a chance i will try those ideas. Microfiber seems like a good way if i can get it to fit between the nozzle and the tips/im using comply now. Seems like it would be hard to get the tips on with the cloth but i'll check it out.

Edit-I'm looking at pictures, do you mean the inside of the hybrid tip where the nozzle fits into the sleeve inside the tip-cut that part down? So cut the interior sleeving?

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #5,336 of 11,665
In a nutshell, it wasn't a result of any comparison between the two. I listened long and hard to the Layla first and came away not satisfied. Toward the end of the show I had the chance to listen to the Fibass and liked it's clean and transparency.

Why I preferred the Angie when I auditioned. Of course others still like Layla better... or the Fibass. 
wink_face.gif
 Nice to have all these options.
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #5,337 of 11,665

Edit-I'm looking at pictures, do you mean the inside of the hybrid tip where the nozzle fits into the sleeve inside the tip-cut that part down? So cut the interior sleeving?

Just reverse the tips and cut the stem down by a millimeter. Then put them on and listen. If they're still too dark / bassy, repeat. The shorter you trim the stem, the brighter / less bassy the result.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,339 of 11,665
ok, guys... Sony NWZ-A17 to be paired with Heaven IV / Heaven V / Klipsch X11 / ATH-IM01 or ATH-CKR9? No amp to be used!

You're in FAD thread so of course FAD all the way :) Joke aside as long as you don't use Heaven V for fast paced or bass heavy music it should do the tricks nicely. The vocal of it is truly outstanding, you don't find that very often :) Nevertheless I haven't try any of your suggestion list though including the IV, but what I can tell you is the V is a keeper :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,340 of 11,665

ok, guys... Sony NWZ-A17 to be paired with Heaven IV / Heaven V / Klipsch X11 / ATH-IM01 or ATH-CKR9? No amp to be used!

You're in FAD thread so of course FAD all the way
smily_headphones1.gif
Joke aside as long as you don't use Heaven V for fast paced or bass heavy music it should do the tricks nicely. The vocal of it is truly outstanding, you don't find that very often
smily_headphones1.gif
Nevertheless I haven't try any of your suggestion list though including the IV, but what I can tell you is the V is a keeper
smily_headphones1.gif

well, mainly listen to Rock and Americana. Little bit of Jazz... I tried both, the IV and V. I liked the V a  bit more but not sure whether this "bit" justifies the difference in price..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back