Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #4,141 of 11,644
So... let's say I wanted to go for it and get a Lab 1. Is that even possible?

Go for it!!! You can always get used to going without food but you can't always own a LAB!

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4,142 of 11,644
I think Cn11 might have bought the last LAB from JABEN Malaysia, which is why I mentioned JABEN Thailand. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #4,143 of 11,644
Go for it!!! You can always get used to going without food but you can't always own a LAB!

Hey come on man, enjoy some good meal before listening. It'll effectively boost the musical experience! Haha.

I think Cn11 might have bought the last LAB from JABEN Malaysia, which is why I mentioned JABEN Thailand. 

Hmmm.. That's a probable scenario too. 100 pieces spreading around the world, that's quite a treasure hunt.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,147 of 11,644
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm not in for $2000 but if I could find one for $1600, it might be tempting.

And HighFlight, as coincidence would have it, I am actually trying to cut back on food!

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #4,148 of 11,644
Did I read correctly that FAD will be releasing Heaven VII & VIII series earphones that are based on the Lab 1 design & sound signature?

That's the mystery of the day. It could either sound exactly the same, or it could sound different. I think it'll be reminiscent of the LAB I. I don't think it'll sound exactly the same since the housings are stainless steel, and moreover, the two new Heaven phones use one BA vs. the two full ranged drivers in the LAB. I have a feeling that the two full ranged drivers in the LAB are what give it such immense headroom and realistic portrayal of dynamics 

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm not in for $2000 but if I could find one for $1600, it might be tempting.

And HighFlight, as coincidence would have it, I am actually trying to cut back on food!

I dunno why but the LAB lists for $2,000 in all the markets outside of Japan. Real ****ty that. My advice would be to try scouring FAD's distributors in Europe and see if you get lucky 

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4,149 of 11,644
As per woodcans, the Lab 1's are currently out of stock here in Jaben Malaysia. Still no estimates yet if they will get new ones, if ever

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,150 of 11,644
How do the Heaven IV and V compare? Is the "barrel" material the only difference? What impact does this have on SQ?

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,152 of 11,644
How do the Heaven IV and V compare? Is the "barrel" material the only difference? What impact does this have on SQ?

IV is brighter, V is less brighter to my ears. The materials does make a difference to the sound signature, but to me, it changes the flavor rather than "upgrade" it.

Hi guys, I've the opportunity to purchase a PF IX 1602SS, but have been told that on one side, there is a filter broken. Is this a big deal? Not too sure how this would affect SQ. Any help will be much appreciated!

Err.. AFAIK, my friend did took away the filter in his PF II, and it resulted in brighter sound but less controlled highs. Well, YMMV I guess. Btw, I also selling my PF IX (which I got from Jaben Network). LOL. Forgive me for advertising here ><

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,153 of 11,644
Tom sums it up right here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613641/final-audio-design-impressions-and-discussion-thread/3585#post_10161135

I've never heard the IV, but from what I understand, it loses FAD's distinctive echoey/ resonant sound, so in that sense, it's perhaps the most "normal" of the FAD offerings

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,154 of 11,644
IV is brighter, V is less brighter to my ears. The materials does make a difference to the sound signature, but to me, it changes the flavor rather than "upgrade" it.

Err.. AFAIK, my friend did took away the filter in his PF II, and it resulted in brighter sound but less controlled highs. Well, YMMV I guess. Btw, I also selling my PF IX (which I got from Jaben Network). LOL. Forgive me for advertising here ><
So the broken filter will definitely affect the SQ then? Crap, it was a good deal :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #4,155 of 11,644
Tom sums it up right here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613641/final-audio-design-impressions-and-discussion-thread/3585#post_10161135

I've never heard the IV, but from what I understand, it loses FAD's distinctive echoey/ resonant sound, so in that sense, it's perhaps the most "normal" of the FAD offerings

LOL. FAD and "normal" can hardly be used on the same sentence.

Yeah, it's not that "echoey", but it does echo quite sufficiently. FWIW, it's the first numbered Heaven, and it does sound very clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back