Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #3,856 of 11,644
I'm about to take the plunge and order my first pair of IEMs.

Doing some reading a lot of IEMs can be quite bassy (at the price range I'm looking at) whereas I'd prefer something more balanced with lovey mids and I think the FAD 'phones seem to be what I'm after.

I initially read some reviews of the II's but think the IV's look worth the extra so was planning on ordering some from buysmartjapan. However, I noticed I can get the V's for not a whole lot more (certainly less than I can buy IV's for new in the UK) so they are an option too. VI's would be nice but my bank balance disagrees....

Between the IV & the V's which do those of you who've owned/ auditioned both find to be the better all rounder for a wide variety of genres and which is the less bright sounding, as I find the treble on some 'phones quite shrill or overbearing to the point where I can't listen to them. Fairly polite trebles are definitely my preference.

Also I see that the V's are available in regular or Aging flavours. Is there any audible difference between the two or is it purely a cosmetic thing?

Thanks in advance and I'm enjoying working my way through this thread (some lovely eye candy too) :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #3,857 of 11,644
  I'm about to take the plunge and order my first pair of IEMs.

Doing some reading a lot of IEMs can be quite bassy (at the price range I'm looking at) whereas I'd prefer something more balanced with lovey mids and I think the FAD 'phones seem to be what I'm after.

I initially read some reviews of the II's but think the IV's look worth the extra so was planning on ordering some from buysmartjapan. However, I noticed I can get the V's for not a whole lot more (certainly less than I can buy IV's for new in the UK) so they are an option too. VI's would be nice but my bank balance disagrees....

Between the IV & the V's which do those of you who've owned/ auditioned both find to be the better all rounder for a wide variety of genres and which is the less bright sounding, as I find the treble on some 'phones quite shrill or overbearing to the point where I can't listen to them. Fairly polite trebles are definitely my preference.

Also I see that the V's are available in regular or Aging flavours. Is there any audible difference between the two or is it purely a cosmetic thing?

Thanks in advance and I'm enjoying working my way through this thread (some lovely eye candy too) :)

Personally less bright is V to me. IV is brighter.
Both phones may exhibit sibilance on some tracks.
Aging is warmer than V to my ears. V is warmer than IV to my ears.
IV is warmer to my eyes. Haha. Love the stainless steel. Oh ya, while II is also stainless steel, it's less refined.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #3,858 of 11,644

Personally less bright is V to me. IV is brighter.
Both phones may exhibit sibilance on some tracks.
Aging is warmer than V to my ears. V is warmer than IV to my ears.
IV is warmer to my eyes. Haha. Love the stainless steel. Oh ya, while II is also stainless steel, it's less refined.

Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply and impressions :)

It's really good to get some first hand impressions as whilst I've been able to find plenty of reviews of the II's, IV's and VI's there seems to be next to nothing about the V's or V Aging. I'm sure as I work my way through this thread I'll come across some more though and get a better handle on things.

Cheers again!

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #3,859 of 11,644

Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply and impressions :)

That's very helpful to get some first hand impressions as whilst I've been able to find plenty of reviews of the II's, IV's and VI's there seems to be next to nothing about the V's or V Aging. I'm sure as I work my way through this thread I'll come across some more though and get a better handle on things.

Cheers again!

Read MuppetFace's review on H-V? http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/blog/final-audio-design-heaven-v-impressions-by-romy-w-aka-muppetface/

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #3,861 of 11,644
  What genre or songs should be played or best fitted for Heaven VI. I enjoy this gear so much but the bass is not that quite strong compared to Adagio III.

I listen to absolutely everything on the Heaven VI. (Well, everything for me means all types of rock, pop, folk, hip hop, blues, jazz, world etc., not so much classical). I could criticize it for not being the edgiest hard rock headphone but I still enjoy Who, Husker Du and other hard rock with it. Its sweet spot will always be vocals, especially female vocals, as well as acoustic guitar, piano and other acoustic instruments.

For more bass, add power! A powerful amp like the Pico Power will bring out the bass or even just a powerful DAP like the X5. The low end ramps right up with clean low-ohm wattage.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,863 of 11,644
That's the best photo I've seen of those.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #3,864 of 11,644
Agreed. This view doesn't look that ugly as in the preview photo. Maybe it's because of the glossy finish? Or rather, it didn't show the checkered area... 
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,865 of 11,644
Yeah, probably because you can't see much of the checkered part haha. Any more detailed impressions though? Maybe a comparison to the Heaven V/VI?

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #3,866 of 11,644
Okay, soo... I'm new to this kind of thing. I love music a lot and listen while driving and travelling. But what is this amplifier you are talking about? The Pico Power thing? Is that portable?

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3,867 of 11,644
  Okay, soo... I'm new to this kind of thing. I love music a lot and listen while driving and travelling. But what is this amplifier you are talking about? The Pico Power thing? Is that portable?

It is not the smallest amp (but not the largest either). It is definitely portable.

Here is the impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/655401/headamp-pico-power-impressions-thread

And here is is Currawong's review including video: http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-pico-power-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/9326 

I am not going to say much more in this thread - I don't want to go too far OT - but the combination of the Pico Power and Heaven VI from a good source is lovely.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3,868 of 11,644
Hi, am I right that there's 2 version of the the Heaven Vl. The copper and gold. Is there a difference in sq between them. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if there is, I would appreciate some feedbacks. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back