Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 12, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #11,086 of 11,664
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #11,088 of 11,664
Over the past few weeks ive been comparing 3 final iems, purchased as something to hold me over until I get something a lot more high end. E1000, E3000 and A3000 were all run from Astell and Kern SR25 MkII with 50 hours burn in each.

E1000 vs E3000

E1000 is the more balanced of the two with better separation but its also harsh on the high frequencies and I can also hear some occasional distortion the E3000 on the other hand is much smoother up top and fatter, warmer in the lower mids and bass, some may think it sounds muddy in comparison but to me that bit of bleed that the E3000 posses helps give the impression of a lush and romantic sound that’s far easier to listen to for longer periods or when relaxing. I can understand why it would be one of finals most popular earphones, it just makes all music enjoyable to listen to.

E3000 vs A3000

Im not sure why final called this A model an upgrade for E3000 because they quite different sound signature, it sounds more balanced like the E1000 but more forward and brighter in treble.

So knowing these are more different than similar how do they compare? Ill just start by saying technically the A3000 trounces the E3000, that F-core driver Is no joke, very fast and responsive from bass to treble, big soundstage and excellent separation. E3000 is way behind in technical performance but still ahead in portraying the emotion of the music, A3000 could be described as too clean and precise at times even though it has a little warmth to not make it feel so cold, with that said the A3000 treble is surprisingly smooth and not harsh at all the issue I have with it is its just too much brightness for me personally and its what’s leading me to stick with E3000.

Its excellent value for the money and im very happy to use it as my daily driver until im ready to upgrade.

IMG_6433.jpeg

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #11,089 of 11,664
Anyone go off and on their A4000/A3000? I didn't like my A4000 when I first got it, too bright, seemed close to tinny with little bass. I put it away for a long while, nearly a year. I tried it again a few weeks ago and either something happened to it in the drawer or more likely to my ears, it seems to have become more bassy and a touch warmer, it could be due to mood too. I listen to a lot of experimental, slightly avant garde electronic music and I'm loving it with the A4000. I use an IFI Go Blu or HipDac and use Comply tips, the improvement is not totally reliant on the bass boost but it enhances the experience. Alva Noto's Xerrox Monophaser 2 sounds wonderful with it though, its a great track on anything. Its also well suited to Autechre's NTS series and other more recent albums. Unnatural or synthetic music seems to be my A4000's forte at the moment but, they also sound great with some contemporary, minimal, classical type stuff like from Sarah Davachi. There is every chance I might go off them a week from now. I also like the E5000 with electronic tunes, its warmth complements the more austere sounding tracks. I'm glad to get more use from the A4000 as I like it's design, light weight and comfort a lot, I even like the cable though it seems to bother some people. Isolation is above average in my ears.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #11,090 of 11,664
Anyone go off and on their A4000/A3000? I didn't like my A4000 when I first got it, too bright, seemed close to tinny with little bass. I put it away for a long while, nearly a year. I tried it again a few weeks ago and either something happened to it in the drawer or more likely to my ears, it seems to have become more bassy and a touch warmer, it could be due to mood too. I listen to a lot of experimental, slightly avant garde electronic music and I'm loving it with the A4000. I use an IFI Go Blu or HipDac and use Comply tips, the improvement is not totally reliant on the bass boost but it enhances the experience. Alva Noto's Xerrox Monophaser 2 sounds wonderful with it though, its a great track on anything. Its also well suited to Autechre's NTS series and other more recent albums. Unnatural or synthetic music seems to be my A4000's forte at the moment but, they also sound great with some contemporary, minimal, classical type stuff like from Sarah Davachi. There is every chance I might go off them a week from now. I also like the E5000 with electronic tunes, its warmth complements the more austere sounding tracks. I'm glad to get more use from the A4000 as I like it's design, light weight and comfort a lot, I even like the cable though it seems to bother some people. Isolation is above average in my ears.

Yes I miss the A3000 for its technicalities, it can vary a lot with mood and some days you will be just more sensitive to treble. What I would love to see is a E series using that F-core driver tuned just a little bit brighter than a E5000, they could call it E6000 and personally I think it would be an exceptional earphone if done right.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #11,091 of 11,664
I bought the A4000 this Summer. The A3000 followed 3 or 4 weeks later. I sold the A4000 a few days after the A3000 came in. Tried cables and tips with both, but the well-implemented mid-centric signature and EQ-friendly character of the A3000 convinced me pretty quickly. The A4000´s brighter and lighter tuning was not bad at all, I actually enjoyed these IEMs, but the A3000 definitely are tuned the way I like my IEM to sound like. Maybe I should have kept the A4000, but I am not really a guy giving second chances in this hobby. It’s hit or miss, after some brain/burn-in.

The E5000 are like the little devil on your left shoulder. Dark and somewhat veiled IEMs requiring brain/burn-in to make one understand what these little beasts are able to. Not an allrounder set, that’s for sure, but the Electronics and the pounding stuff, yep they can. No way I will depart from them.

Sharing the love about Alva Noto’s work and it’s a delight to read about his works on this thread.

Yes I miss the A3000 for its technicalities, it can vary a lot with mood and some days you will be just more sensitive to treble. What I would love to see is a E series using that F-core driver tuned just a little bit brighter than a E5000, they could call it E6000 and personally I think it would be an exceptional earphone if done right.
100% agree on this. It actually would be great to get an A5000 instead of an E6000 (no matter the tech inside). Final has all the knowledge and the resources to make this project reality.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #11,092 of 11,664
The E5000 are like the little devil on your left shoulder. Dark and somewhat veiled IEMs requiring brain/burn-in to make one understand what these little beasts are able to. Not an allrounder set, that’s for sure, but the Electronics and the pounding stuff, yep they can. No way I will depart from them.

That IEM needs power. It sounds quite poor on Apple dongle, but opens up nicely (more separation, crisper, larger soundstage) when using KA3. Another level of performance is shown with Fiio M11+ on high gain. I haven’t got the chance to try, but I wonder whether it would sound even better on a desktop stack.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #11,093 of 11,664
That IEM needs power. It sounds quite poor on Apple dongle, but opens up nicely (more separation, crisper, larger soundstage) when using KA3. Another level of performance is shown with Fiio M11+ on high gain. I haven’t got the chance to try, but I wonder whether it would sound even better on a desktop stack.
A big debate. My E5000 have been driven out of a Schitt Jotunheim and it was indeed a great experience. The Cayin C9 gives the same satisfaction, without the extra grip of the desktop rig, but now we are slowly splitting hairs, don’t we?

The E5000 are one of the most divisive IEMs I experienced. It’s a niche sound signature/tuning and one of a kind. Love and hate relationship. I have chosen to love them.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #11,094 of 11,664
A big debate. My E5000 have been driven out of a Schitt Jotunheim and it was indeed a great experience. The Cayin C9 gives the same satisfaction, without the extra grip of the desktop rig, but now we are slowly splitting hairs, don’t we?

The E5000 are one of the most divisive IEMs I experienced. It’s a niche sound signature/tuning and one of a kind. Love and hate relationship. I have chosen to love them.

I think the key point is if we know that a reviewer uses Apple dongle to review E5000, then we should stop reading, knowing they will complain about mushy, muddy, “bass bleed”, etc.

I just check to see what Cayin C9 is. Holy smoke it’s epic :dt880smile: Of course you have no problem with E5000.

Btw, I noticed that the frequency response of E5000 does not change at all between sources (measured myself). But the technical performance change is noticeable.

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #11,095 of 11,664
I too have gone a little bit on and off with the a3000. It can get a bit too spicy in the highs for me at times. Really love it otherwise. I wish final would keep evolving the A series. I'd love to see something in between the a3000/a4000 and a8000 price ranges.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #11,096 of 11,664
I think the key point is if we know that a reviewer uses Apple dongle to review E5000, then we should stop reading, knowing they will complain about mushy, muddy, “bass bleed”, etc.

I just check to see what Cayin C9 is. Holy smoke it’s epic :dt880smile: Of course you have no problem with E5000.

Btw, I noticed that the frequency response of E5000 does not change at all between sources (measured myself). But the technical performance change is noticeable.
Agree about the power requirements for the E5000, and my LPGT drives the E5000 with Maestria out of the 4.4mm output. No need of an extra amp to make them shine. Not sure about the Apple dongle, never tried it on the E5000, but it unlikely will happen.

A pure silver cable and some adequate tips make the E5000 a very good companion of a neutral and powerful sources.

A83A44EB-C4EE-48C5-91B3-DCCFD920AF15.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #11,097 of 11,664
Enjoying the few minutes before going to sleep with a great electronic track out of the E5000 and the LPGT. Thanks @o0genesis0o for bringing the E5000 into discussion tonight👌

BDB74C9A-7DD7-4ECE-9D67-09C13389B294.jpeg

Sep 17, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #11,098 of 11,664
I wish the E series fit me more securely. I'd love try the e5000, but I have fit issues with most iems. A series is one of the very few that fits me perfect and securely.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #11,100 of 11,664
Agree about the power requirements for the E5000, and my LPGT drives the E5000 with Maestria out of the 4.4mm output. No need of an extra amp to make them shine. Not sure about the Apple dongle, never tried it on the E5000, but it unlikely will happen.

A pure silver cable and some adequate tips make the E5000 a very good companion of a neutral and powerful sources.

A83A44EB-C4EE-48C5-91B3-DCCFD920AF15.jpeg

man we got the same tips :call_me:

great improvement over stock tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back