Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #8,342 of 11,644
Without much burn-in, I can easily hear that the Sonorous VI is a more refined version of the IV. I imagine the stainless steel cup has a lot to do with this due to resonance control since the drivers between the two are identical. Anyway, for those who’ve considered the IV/VI and wondered if the VI was worth $200 more, in my view, a big yes. I’m very happy with this purchase.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #8,343 of 11,644
Without much burn-in, I can easily hear that the Sonorous VI is a more refined version of the IV. I imagine the stainless steel cup has a lot to do with this due to resonance control since the drivers between the two are identical. Anyway, for those who’ve considered the IV/VI and wondered if the VI was worth $200 more, in my view, a big yes. I’m very happy with this purchase.
Great. Refined is the word. Enjoy them. For me, switching pads opened the sound a bit more. Shure 1540 pads and Lawton lambskin pads do a very good job. In any case, already with stock pads, the Sonorous VI is an amazingly good sounding headphone. The VI has soft tune up potential though. Pads and maybe cable, depending on confort and usage.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #8,344 of 11,644
I have a question about this thread: since final makes so many models ranging in price from under $100 to 5K, is there some unwritten rule to keep all final product discussion in this thread?

I’m thinking of creating a separate thread for the Sonorous VI ... I think it’s deserving of its own space.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #8,345 of 11,644
Never mind, I just noticed there’s already a thread on the Pandora Hope VI ...

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #8,346 of 11,644
Never mind, I just noticed there’s already a thread on the Pandora Hope VI ...
Yes, let's talk more about the VI on the dedicated thread. Good idea. I am looking forward hearing your impression as a new owner

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #8,348 of 11,644
How is the Treble / Highs on the VI? I'm very sensitive to those things.

Smooth with tremendous clarity and spatial characteristics. I’m kind of surprised by this since the IV can be hyper detailed at times, not sibilant, but with poorly recorded music, not a fully pleasant listen. I expected something similar with the VI, but it’s very different. I used the word refined in an earlier post, but it’s beyond that which leads me to wonder if the same BA driver is being used.

I mean, I only have 30 hours, maybe, on it, but the VI is truly impressive sounding. The bass is deeper with better decay than the IV as well. For a headphone that is advertised as a IV with better material build, it goes beyond that in my view.

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #8,349 of 11,644
Smooth with tremendous clarity and spatial characteristics. I’m kind of surprised by this since the IV can be hyper detailed at times, not sibilant, but with poorly recorded music, not a fully pleasant listen. I expected something similar with the VI, but it’s very different. I used the word refined in an earlier post, but it’s beyond that which leads me to wonder if the same BA driver is being used.

I mean, I only have 30 hours, maybe, on it, but the VI is truly impressive sounding. The bass is deeper with better decay than the IV as well. For a headphone that is advertised as a IV with better material build, it goes beyond that in my view.
You and I are owning maybe the 2 best sounding dynamic headphones available at the moment, meaning Focal Utopia and Final Sonorous X. Both are superior to the Final Sonorous VI, but considering their prices and TOTL status, I personally find that thethe pr/performance/built quality/design ratio of the Sonorous VI is just phenomenal. Unique, actually. What's your take on that?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #8,350 of 11,644
You and I are owning maybe the 2 best sounding dynamic headphones available at the moment, meaning Focal Utopia and Final Sonorous X. Both are superior to the Final Sonorous VI, but considering their prices and TOTL status, I personally find that thethe pr/performance/built quality/design ratio of the Sonorous VI is just phenomenal. Unique, actually. What's your take on that?

I think I agree. The VI is not my Utopia, tonality or resolution wise, but for a $700 headphone, better than others I’ve heard under $1,200. I’m not a warm sound type of guy, I love upper frequency extension and portrayal, especially spatial info, so for those whom like a warmer sound, the VI might not be your cup of tea, but if you like what I like, wow! Great headphone. And yes, the build quality epitomizes Japanese craftsmanship. The box needs to go, though. It doesn’t protect the headband in shipment as well as it should. Mine came indented from the cardboard inner packing, not a good first impression. Actually, final should have provided a presentation/display box. I wish they would anyway since most of my other headphones do, and I’d buy a nice final labeled display box.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #8,351 of 11,644
Excepting the luxurious wooden box (and the fur inside) of the Sonorous X, Final decided to take a somewhat ecological path with their packaging since they changed the Pandora range into the Sonorous one. Less "bling bling" and just the essential. We can approve or not. I admit that I bought a USD 60.- official Final transport box right after the purchase. Solid and nicely crafted.
About the competition, I owned, tried or had a few headphones on loan in the USD 1000+ category. My now sold MDR-Z1R and HD800S did not bring such musicality as the Sonorous VI, which is, technologically speaking, not as impressive as the former two cans. The Focal Clear is the nearest parent of the Sonorous VI. Amazing tonality and confort. Otherwise, within the USD 500 - 2'000 price range (!), Hifiman, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica and Mr Speaker's offering struggled or failed in bringing the sound experience I have with the Sonorous VI. A matter of taste at the end of the day. The Sonorous VI is the mid-fi king for me...and it's an easy win.

PS: E1000 are on their way. I am curious to know what Final can do cutting the cost at the max

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #8,352 of 11,644
How is the Treble / Highs on the VI? I'm very sensitive to those things.
As a fellow treble-phobic, I’d warn the VI can get pretty hot up there. Lots of extension and presence in those regions. Certainly this contributes to the highly detailed sound and vast, open-back-like soundstage, but with cymbal-heavy metal or when female singers are recorded in such a way I find things become almost untenable, even with relatively soft sources.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #8,353 of 11,644
As a fellow treble-phobic, I’d warn the VI can get pretty hot up there. Lots of extension and presence in those regions. Certainly this contributes to the highly detailed sound and vast, open-back-like soundstage, but with cymbal-heavy metal or when female singers are recorded in such a way I find things become almost untenable, even with relatively soft sources.

I agree too.
Maybe good if you listen in low volume.
I had it for a while and tried different pads, inserted felt, etc., but didn't work well and finally, sold.
I know it has a special taste of its own and loved its transparent uncolored mids and how the bass sounds, but was bit too hot for me.

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #8,354 of 11,644
Excepting the luxurious wooden box (and the fur inside) of the Sonorous X, Final decided to take a somewhat ecological path with their packaging since they changed the Pandora range into the Sonorous one. Less "bling bling" and just the essential. We can approve or not. I admit that I bought a USD 60.- official Final transport box right after the purchase. Solid and nicely crafted.

There’s a final case available? I’ve never seen it on its website or anywhere else.

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #8,355 of 11,644
? Maybe its only me but I really feel that after I fall in love with Final product, I start to feel that a lot of the other makers products which fall into same price range are darker and less detail.
There’s a final case available? I’ve never seen it on its website or anywhere else.

This one? Link but I dun think that there is a place to store cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back