Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #7,666 of 11,644
Proud to say that I couldn't wait for more reviews to come out, and ordered myself the e5000.

Was initially going to order the e4000, but since I want to eventually get andromedas I felt that I'd enjoy the warmer signature of the e5000 in the long run.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #7,668 of 11,644
Proud to say that I couldn't wait for more reviews to come out, and ordered myself the e5000.
Was initially going to order the e4000, but since I want to eventually get andromedas I felt that I'd enjoy the warmer signature of the e5000 in the long run.

Great! Take your time with it, don't be too quick to judge. I seriously cannot pick up another earphone after these. The great thing about the E5000s is that they don't play the same game as other earphones. They win you with a completely different approach to tuning. Post your impressions as well.

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #7,669 of 11,644
Can’t wait to hear these but will definitely give it some burn in and brain burn before jumping to conclusions. I’m someone who emphasizes fault a lot so hopefully I can give you all an honest low down of the E5000. Concerns based on what I’ve read or considered potentially problematic: Bright upper treble, midrange too laidback (bias toward forward mid preference), bass bleed (measurements based, unrelated to feedback).

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #7,670 of 11,644
Can’t wait to hear these but will definitely give it some burn in and brain burn before jumping to conclusions. I’m someone who emphasizes fault a lot so hopefully I can give you all an honest low down of the E5000. Concerns based on what I’ve read or considered potentially problematic: Bright upper treble, midrange too laidback (bias toward forward mid preference), bass bleed (measurements based, unrelated to feedback).
More the impressions, the better. I'm a mid-range lover and I love me some detail in the presence region too. These earphones basically shocked me to the point where i don't know what my preference is anymore. I think it's a good thing (for musical appreciation), and a bad thing (for the wallet). I would suggest, try them for 3-4 days, only the E5000s, to appreciate the signature and to get a peek at all the magic that it contains.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #7,671 of 11,644
The HiFiMAN RE-262 was an earphone that I admired for quite awhile so I do love that smooth signature. Unfortunately, their uneven midrange left me sad as it was even fatiguing at times as a result. My ears are pretty sensitive though, I can sniff out sibilance like a sniper.

I came across another set of measurements of the E5000 the other day and my heart sank since there was a slight mid-treble bump and channel mismatch. Granted it’s small, my ears will emphasize it regardless if I had spotted it on a graph prior or not.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #7,672 of 11,644
The HiFiMAN RE-262 was an earphone that I admired for quite awhile so I do love that smooth signature. Unfortunately, their uneven midrange left me sad as it was even fatiguing at times as a result. My ears are pretty sensitive though, I can sniff out sibilance like a sniper.

I came across another set of measurements of the E5000 the other day and my heart sank since there was a slight mid-treble bump and channel mismatch. Granted it’s small, my ears will emphasize it regardless if I had spotted it on a graph prior or not.
Where'd you find the measurements?

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #7,674 of 11,644
I'd take those with a grain of salt....

From all the reviews I've read, I find it hard to believe that the e5000 is that v shaped

These are measurements of the e5000 from a guy called malvinvnv from reddit. Of course I've yet to hear it, but from what I've read this seems to be a lot more accurate
image.png

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #7,675 of 11,644
Yeah those are the first measurements I saw. If you look closely though, it follows a similar shape and is only the left channel when comparing the two graphs. The Reddit one looks smoother because the Y axis (dB) is more concentrated.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #7,676 of 11,644
Yeah those are the first measurements I saw. If you look closely though, it follows a similar shape and is only the left channel when comparing the two graphs. The Reddit one looks smoother because the Y axis (dB) is more concentrated.

The e5000 is uber smooth, and as far from bright or strident as one can imagine.

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #7,677 of 11,644
Still, a peak in the treble stands out even more if the rest of the response is lower in level. That’s why I haven’t bothered with the HD650 while owning the HD600. It’s not the high frequency extension of the 600 that makes it sound “hot” it’s the bump at around 6khz, which the 650 also seems to exhibit. Again, according to measurements. The vocals otherwise would be perceived with less “veil” since both bass and lower treble wouldn’t be pushing for the spotlight.

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #7,678 of 11,644
No. No. Just no.

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #7,679 of 11,644
Still, a peak in the treble stands out even more if the rest of the response is lower in level. That’s why I haven’t bothered with the HD650 while owning the HD600. It’s not the high frequency extension of the 600 that makes it sound “hot” it’s the bump at around 6khz, which the 650 also seems to exhibit. Again, according to measurements. The vocals otherwise would be perceived with less “veil” since both bass and lower treble wouldn’t be pushing for the spotlight.

You should test a HD650 :)

PRetty far from the truth, as much as HD600 really isn't peaky (you need to hear something peaky to understand, HD600 is just neutral and clear, not peaky), HD650 is even smoother. I think that nothing about HD650 can ever be considered peaky or bright...

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,680 of 11,644
Haha I thought I might get some hate for that post. I have read, however, that the HD650 exhibits sibilance too which kind of deters me from it. I still think that there is something going on around that frequency on the 600 that gives a sharpness on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back