Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #6,586 of 11,644
Thanks for the advice man, I will definitely have to try the Heaven VIs at some point. If you look at my previous IEMs though, you could probably understand why I am so impressed by the F4100 mids. I haven't had a headphone that has such nice mids, and as such it is hard to rank the best.

I checked out some reviews though, and they concur with having truly incredible mids (I don't doubt it one bit either, I believe you here). However, they are also saying that the Heaven VIs can get sibilant. Any hint of sibilance kills sound for me. What is your opinion on this?

I Had the T10s, those were sibilant as sin, the Sibilance overshadowed like 50% of the sound. If they are not sibilant, then I will take a look into getting them. If the F4100 mids blew me back, I can only imagine what the Heavens do. Are the higher model heavens good as well.

Heaven VI sound depends a lot on the source, because it uses a low impedance (16 ohm) balanced armature driver (balanced armature drivers are affected the most by the output impedance of a source). The sound is thin with a high output impedance source and lush with a low output impedance source (<2 ohm output impedance. According to the 1/8 rule of thumb (or the 1/8th rule), the output impedance of the source should be less than 1/8 of the headphone impedance). I've been able to directly test this with my Geek Out 100, which has two output jacks: one with 0.47 ohm and one with 47 ohm output impedance.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #6,587 of 11,644
Haha, guess that makes sense! Yeah T10 had a cool wow factor due to the metal housing and BQ, but the sibilance was killing the music. Thanks for your impressions, I'll look more into the Heaven VIs (I think I am a midhead now...)

@infer

Thanks for the tips man

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #6,588 of 11,644
  u have yet to try the heaven vi if u think f4100 is organic. if the organic level for heaven vi is 10, f4100 is 6.5.
4100 is good but the mids is not as good as you say.

They are very good. But very source depending. The Heavens, as being tuned overly warm, need a brighter source to shine.
The F-Series is the other way around. My Heaven V were perfect pairing for my previous Sony A17 but to thick for pairing
with Cayin i5, where the i5 now pairs perfectly with the F4100.

The F7200 are more neutral, dangerously close to boring for some people. Totally different than the F4100 which are for my taste
the best option in the F-Series. But this is all just matter of personal preferences.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #6,589 of 11,644
They are very good. But very source depending. The Heavens, as being tuned overly warm, need a brighter source to shine.
The F-Series is the other way around. My Heaven V were perfect pairing for my previous Sony A17 but to thick for pairing
with Cayin i5, where the i5 now pairs perfectly with the F4100.

The F7200 are more neutral, dangerously close to boring for some people. Totally different than the F4100 which are for my taste
the best option in the F-Series. But this is all just matter of personal preferences.

+1

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #6,590 of 11,644
It has been a long while since I've visited this thread, or any on head-fi for that matter, but life has kept me busy for most of this year and last. It's nice to see new products from Final; eager to try the new F range and the upcoming LAB II.

I still have not completely abandoned my project of cataloging and writing about all Final products since their 'rebirth' as FAD and subsequent 're-rebirth' as Final. The company's history is one of those things to which I'm bizarrely attuned.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #6,591 of 11,644
It has been a long while since I've visited this thread, or any on head-fi for that matter, but life has kept me busy for most of this year and last. It's nice to see new products from Final; eager to try the new F range and the upcoming LAB II.

I still have not completely abandoned my project of cataloging and writing about all Final products since their 'rebirth' as FAD and subsequent 're-rebirth' as Final. The company's history is one of those things to which I'm bizarrely attuned.

their whatnow?

I thought they were FAD, then Final?

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #6,592 of 11,644
Final has been around since the 70s, producing audio equipment like amplifiers and turntables. They decided to start selling earphones under the name Final Audio Design in 2009. With some internal changes and the passing of Takai-san (R.I.P.), the company decided to return to the original name, simply 'Final.'

Technically their namebrand shouldn't be capitalized (it's just final, all lowercase), but my inner grammarian prevents me from doing this often times!

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #6,593 of 11,644
Final has been around since the 70s, producing audio equipment like amplifiers and turntables. They decided to start selling earphones under the name Final Audio Design in 2009. With some internal changes and the passing of Takai-san (R.I.P.), the company decided to return to the original name, simply 'Final.'

Technically their namebrand shouldn't be capitalized (it's just final, all lowercase), but my inner grammarian prevents me from doing this often times!

thank you for the explanation/history lesson :))

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #6,595 of 11,644
^This
Those two are on top of my list for future upgrades..

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #6,596 of 11,644
Welcome back and good to see you.
I hope all is well.
This thread misses you :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #6,600 of 11,644
(Review) Final F7200 Earphones

I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered by the original poster in the old thread. I feel that unnecessary repetition has a tendency to clutter posts and detract from the intended message.
My introduction to IEMs was many years ago when I directly imported a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4s from the US, as this was long before there was a UK distributer. Opening the long awaited box was a bit of an anti-climax; all that money (I was young and poor) for two tiny plastic cylinders joined to a flimsy looking cable. Used to large over ear headphones, I couldn’t believe these would produce an acceptable sound. All doubts were dispelled when they were plugged in to my portable source of the day, a Sony Walkman Professional cassette deck. They sounded wonderful; full, detailed and involving. I was smitten, and have stayed in love with IEMs ever since. I stayed with Etymotic through several pairs of ER-4S and ER-4P. Some purchased, and some under warranty due to the cable, which did indeed prove to be flimsy in the early days. So why all this chat about Etymotics in a Final earphone review? Simply because when looking at single armature designs, everything refers back to the ER-4 in my experience.
Opening the box of the F7200 was a very different experience. They look good! Beautifully finished stainless cylinders with good cable connectors, a very attractive cable and a lovely tactile rubber case. You can see where your money has gone. Immediately comfortable with the supplied silicon tips, they felt secure in my ears due to the easy cable routing. Final make claims about how small these IEMs are, but they aren’t very different from the Etymotics, or indeed Klipsch, in that respect.
My Sony Walkman Pro being in retirement, I started off using a Sony ZX-2 via a Chord Hugo for the first listen. Full of anticipation, the first track played; a 192/24 FLAC of the Chicago Transit Authority album. And, I was underwhelmed. Now, things have moved on since my early days of IEMs, and these days I usually listen to Shure SE846 or Sennheiser IE800, which sets the bar pretty high, but that wasn’t the problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the F7200. They sound as good as any single armature design that I have tried. Plenty of detail, sprightly presentation, a little bass shy compared to the bigger boys, but acceptable. But, with the beautiful looks, I had expected more, something special and different. They just weren't different enough.
I decided that these ‘phones probably were not expected to be used with such an expensive front end, so I changed to the Sony ZX-2 on its own, and an iPhone 7 via the lightning adapter (mini DAC) cable. The sound quality held up well, but the F7200 takes quite a lot of driving. The naked DACs were having to run at pretty much full volume. To put this in perspective, they were slightly less efficient than Sennheiser IE800s, and a LOT less efficient than the Shure SE846. This surprised me as my other single armature designs are more efficient from these sources.
Apart from the efficiency issue, I felt there was little to choose between the sound of F7200 and Etymotic ER-4P. The Finals were perhaps a little warmer in presentation, rounding off the rough edges of nastier digital recordings slightly more than the Etymotics. But, if I was back in the day of living with just one pair of IEMs, I would have been happy with either.
This is, I think the dilemma. The F7200 is priced significantly above the Etymotics, half way to the IE800s in fact. There is no question in my mind that the IE800s blow both these single armature designs out of the water (apart from sound isolation), but that is perhaps to miss the point. Sometimes there is a place for the very discrete single armature device, and not everyone is willing to spend IE800 money to listen to tunes on the train. So you have to decide whether; build quality, cable quality, good looks and a very nice case justifies the extra expense of the Final F7200 over other single armature designs, because sonically there isn’t much in it.

Pros;
Looks
Build quality
Detachable cable
Size
Comfort
Case

Cons;
Cost
Low efficiency
Bass light

Users who are viewing this thread