Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,697 of 11,686
VIII is supposed to bassy though. Had a talk with TomScy about it. He seems to think the VII is better (ie - more neutral). I'm gonna be gunning for the VII myself

Or maybe I'll get the VII, you get the VIII and we'll swap.

For science

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,698 of 11,686
VIII is supposed to bassy though. Had a talk with TomScy about it. He seems to think the VII is better (ie - more neutral). I'm gonna be gunning for the VII myself

My LAB I is bassy in an entirely natural/neutral way, but in a way that makes feel like there's a subwoofer in my head. But, quite balanced, nonetheless. Maybe the VIII is more suited to my tastes?? Guess I'll have to try both....

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #4,700 of 11,686
My LAB I is bassy in an entirely natural/neutral way, but in a way that makes feel like there's a subwoofer in my head. But, quite balanced, nonetheless. Maybe the VIII is more suited to my tastes?? Guess I'll have to try both....

I'm not sure about the bass on the VIII but the LAB was pretty linear in the bass when I ran test tones. That's at least part of the reason why the bass comes across so effortlessly - no masking. I believe apossibleworld stated that the VII had less bass than the LAB though. I would imagine that the loss of a full ranged driver would impact note thickness in some way, I dunno. I'm just glad that the LAB apparently doesn't render the Heaven series redundant.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,701 of 11,686
I think that one can get carried away with this 'any source will do' approach to the Lab 1. It really is a good IEM and it is capable of really impressing if fed properly. Currently I find the Wyrd > UD120 > GS-X mk2 combination at home to be especially good.

Calyx M + Lab 1 is less detailed but there is a special synergy. And it is portable!

Anyway, I expect that the iPhone 6 is a pretty good DAP so not too surprised that the Lab 1 sounds good with it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #4,702 of 11,686
I just tested the heaven 7 and 8 and I also had my Lab 1 with me, with the M and an ak240. The 7 and 8 are great, and if you don't have the Lab 1 then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding range of iem's. The 7 sounds really good. As you move from the 7 to the 8 to the Lab 1 there is an improvement in sound across most if not all facets from soundstage, bass presence and presentation, imaging etc. The Lab 1 is imho certainly a step up from the 8, and I have concluded that there is absolutely no need for me to purchase the 7 or 8 given that I already have the Lab 1.

Testing the Lab 1 with the ak240 against my M was interesting. Lab 1 with the M is more atmospheric, relaxed, and encompassing with better vocal. Lab 1 with the ak240 was sounded quite a bit more resolving, with better imaging. Possibly a slightly better soundstage also.

I like the extra detail of the ak240 and the atmospheric cohesive presentation of the M. For more analytical style listening I would go the 240, for pure musicality I would go the M.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #4,703 of 11,686
Ah yes, forgot that I had your impressions to look forward to. Thanks for chipping in. Did you feel that the VII was more neutral than the VIII? I was interested in the VII since apossibleworld mentioned that it felt like a melding between SS and LAB I

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #4,704 of 11,686
I think that describing the 7 as a combination of the SS and Lab 1 is fitting. The 7 has less bass and is definitely not as thick sounding as the Lab 1, nor the 8. Before testing the 7 and 8 I was thinking that I would pickup the 7 if it was a less thick version of the Lab 1. It is less thick, and it does sound great, but having now tested the 7 I realise that the extra thickness is where lots of the magic is, and when you take it away you lose detail, depth, and soundstage and overall presence. You could probably argue the 7 is more neutral, as said, it is certainly leaner than the 8 and the Lab 1. The SQ definitely improves from the 7 to the 8 to the Lab 1 though.

In terms of looks, the 7 looks very similar to the Lab 1 but with a little longer barrel and with a curved back. I think the gold of the 8 is butt ugly.

By all means though try them and I look forward to your impressions.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,705 of 11,686
Just got a Lab 1 from FAD (thanks to Yoko!).  It's really like nothing I've heard before...and I look forward to writing a review on it (even though it's out of production).  This is one of those legacy products that needs proper "documentation" if you will. 
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4,706 of 11,686
  Just got a Lab 1 from FAD (thanks to Yoko!).  It's really like nothing I've heard before...and I look forward to writing a review on it (even though it's out of production).  This is one of those legacy products that needs proper "documentation" if you will. 
tongue.gif

Definitely! Look forward to the review. In any event, I suspect that this one will be one of those which will still make it arounds in the secondary market. Heaven knows that demand will not abate, but surely grow, now that the limited run has sold out. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #4,708 of 11,686
Oct 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #4,709 of 11,686
I continue to be amazed by the PF VIII. Given the right music it delivers better than any of my other phones

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #4,710 of 11,686
tongue.gif

Nice! They just sent you a review unit, just like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back