Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 10, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #4,681 of 11,686

This is an interesting question that I have been asking myself. Even though I have owned the 1602SS for a long time and the 1601SC for almost a year, I am still not quite sure what to say.

I am enjoying these two IEMs with my new home rig more than ever before so I expect that they will be getting a lot of listening time. I will post some thoughts down the road, hopefully soon.

Alright, thank you.
Looking forward to your impressions.
I may want to get one of the 1601.

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #4,683 of 11,686

So I just pulled out my M, 1 ohm adapter and the PF IX, and went down into the garden to kick back with a coffee and cigar and give it a good listen.

First of all: I heard zero evidence of any compatibility issues with the music that I wanted to listen to. I later tested a song that has some opening bass notes that always caused a problem and they still did. 1 ohm was not enough to fix the issue. It is strange though; it is just a few notes at the beginning of that song (The Little Beggar Girl by Richard and Linda Thompson; the perfect test song for this issue) and then everything is fine. Hopefully the adapter Calyx provides will have higher impedance. Again, there were zero issues with the other music I listened to.

I listened to some Baroque and it was perfect. Perfect, I say! I will go out on a limb and posit that harpsichord never sounds better. A private church in my head... unbelievable. String ensembles were equally compelling.

I then put on Jazz, the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Blue Rondo A La Turk was excellent but the M has a slightly mellow presentation and I was thinking that I preferred the more dynamic sound of the Wyrd + Modi + GS-X mk2 that I was listening to the same song on with the PF IX yesterday. I little more sparkle and definition on the cymbals in particular. Later when I was listening to Take 5, a song with a more "clubby" sound, I could find no fault at all. Exquisite. A private Jazz club in my head. (Edit: Regarding "no fault at all", I realise that I am so used to the PF IX that I just take the paucity of sub-bass for granted. The PF IX will always be the PF IX...)

I put on some acoustic guitar plus vocal material (the bonus disc from Jewel's Sweet and Wild.) The M + PF IX does that kind of music well. The smooth presentation of the M tames the treble edge of Jewel's vocals. Very nice.

Then for the heck of it, I put on Joan Osborne's One Of Us. It was... pretty obnoxious. No fault of the M; the Piano Forte IX does not do rock, even light rock like that. Mind you, Joan Armatrading's All The Way From America was better. I didn't like the hard drum slaps at all but the vocals were great. With Rock/Pop, you are best to keep things acoustic and mellow with the PF IX.

So I think that the M and PF IX is a great combination when used with the kind of music that suits the PF IX. Once the official adapter comes out, I expect it to get some fair amount of use. (There is still the zero isolation fact of the 160Xs; quiet environments only.)

As for the impedance issue, it is so rare that I really have to look for it. I have decided that I don't care very much with the PF IX since the music that the PF IX does well almost never causes the problem. Still I look forward to the adapter.

Many thanks for this info. I think I will have an opportunity to demo them again in a couple of weeks with the M. Cheers.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4,684 of 11,686
  Any comparisons between Heaven VI and ASG-2?

From memory , they are both rather different , for one the ASG2 have bigger bass response compared to the heaven 6 , the ASG2 is a tiny bit v shaped in my opinion and the heaven 6 emphasises vocals and treble instead , not saying there is no bass but just its not something to be proud off , its just there.

I like the ASG2 better

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #4,687 of 11,686
For any of you Melbourne based folks, I spoke to Addicted To Audio and they have the Heaven 7 and 8 on demo this weekend at some audio expo on in Melbourne. I am actually flying down from Sydney to Melbourne on Monday for work for a week. Will drop into the store mid week to see if they still have them for a listen. I know they do have to send them back to FAD soon after the expo.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,689 of 11,686
I demo'd a few full size cans with my M today when I had 30 minutes to kill. I tried the Ultrasone Edition 8, Audeze LCD-XC, and the FAD Pandora Hope 6. I know that the M is not the best source to drive these phones but I preferred the Lab 1's over them all with the M (I did use the impedence matching settings on the M which did work quite well).

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #4,690 of 11,686
I demo'd a few full size cans with my M today when I had 30 minutes to kill. I tried the Ultrasone Edition 8, Audeze LCD-XC, and the FAD Pandora Hope 6. I know that the M is not the best source to drive these phones but I preferred the Lab 1's over them all with the M (I did use the impedence matching settings on the M which did work quite well).
Haha just back myself from checking out a friend's Ed8 as well with my M about an hour ago. And indeed, I prefer my Lab1 as well! The Ed8 sounded airy, spacious and light, but preferred the Lab1 lush, intimate and encompassing sound :) he's seriously considering getting the Lab1 himself, apparently Jaben SG might be able to get him one haha

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #4,691 of 11,686
Looks like i'm joining the 150 club.. After Lots of research I found the devices I wanted to get, only to be presented with the opportunity to get the LAB 1  After reading everything in this thread ( and others )  it seems like a no brainer and decided to go with these. 

Next is to pair them with a DAP that can do them justice. I;m a big  home system Audiophile type, and love all types of music, but LOVE 80's and pop/electronica. I would like to ask if your using a DAP with them, what are you using and have you tried them with other portable sources? 

I was thinking about the AK120 II or Calyx M, or are there other options of this type that would suit my music tastes better? 

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,692 of 11,686
I'm sure the LAB would sound good out of a portable cassette player. I've had the DX90, Cowon Plenue P1 and the Calyx M. These days I just rock an iPhone 6 and I've never felt better about it all. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,693 of 11,686
  I'm sure the LAB would sound good out of a portable cassette player. I've had the DX90, Cowon Plenue P1 and the Calyx M. These days I just rock an iPhone 6 and I've never felt better about it all. 

I'm in the same boat. The LAB I's with the iP 6 are great. Making me considering an AK240 sell, but not quite ready to pull the trigger on that yet.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #4,694 of 11,686
It's very simple:

1. sell AK240
2. profit
3. buy Heaven VII
4. ???
5. profit (?)

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #4,695 of 11,686
Got me grubby hands on a kojo km01, ran this with my IP5 to a CLAS to the Kojo via a custom mundorf silver/gold IC feeding the LAB1, and this is quite a sublime chain. Had Eva Cassidy and the Jazz messengers lulling me into the night. For vocals and a hall/club sound, this combo is sweet and intimate. Mids are so smooth and textured. Quite a treat to have such an amazing stress reliever after a crappy day at work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back