Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #4,621 of 11,686
Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop with my new babies. The timbre of the instruments (especially the sax and piano) and feeling of the venue is fantastic but something like the kickdrum is pathetic. If I press on the pods to go deeper in the ear there is more weight to the sound but it's very painfull, they can't stay there on their own and some of the atmosphere of the room is lost.

Solo cello, female vocals, small ensemble chamber music are amogst the things that sound fantastic and surpricingly church organ is also great except the the low registers are all but missing.

Big orchestra, rock and electronica mostly don't work

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #4,622 of 11,686
Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop with my new babies. The timbre of the instruments (especially the sax and piano) and feeling of the venue is fantastic but something like the kickdrum is pathetic. If I press on the pods to go deeper in the ear there is more weight to the sound but it's very painfull, they can't stay there on their own and some of the atmosphere of the room is lost.

Solo cello, female vocals, small ensemble chamber music are amogst the things that sound fantastic and surpricingly church organ is also great except the the low registers are all but missing.

Big orchestra, rock and electronica mostly don't work

May I also recommend Baroque.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #4,623 of 11,686

Just arrived! My first FAD
smily_headphones1.gif

FAD IX ? This baby need more than 500hrs burn-in times.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #4,625 of 11,686
Oct 4, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #4,626 of 11,686
May I also recommend Baroque.

Yep, in my mind that goes under chamber music. Have listened to Corelli, Bach, Scarlatti and a few others and all sound fantastic.

Works really well with accoustic blues as well. Just listening to Reference Recordings first blues project with Doug MacCleod.

All is flac cd rips or hires straight out of iBasso DX90

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #4,628 of 11,686
James mentioned that it's very similar to the SS, except a touch warmer, a bit less open and the highs were tamed a bit - in essence, he said this sig could be replicated on the SS with small tips and a teabag filter. So... If the SS sig is up your alley I'd say it's probably worth considering

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #4,630 of 11,686
James wrote a very detailed review on it compared to a good number of other phones, so I'd start there. I have a pair coming in myself in a few days. Seems if you liked the KAEDE, you may find yourself liking the SS. That's probably the closest comparison I can draw from the phones I know you've heard

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4,632 of 11,686

Users who are viewing this thread

Back