Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,401 of 11,654
And for me sadly I cannot attend either. I have the music but work commitments call me away I am afraid, if I get back in time I will try to hop in. Have fun guys!

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,402 of 11,654
Unfortunately,  once again, I have family obligations during the listen-in. I will make it one of these days. Until then...

The way the cable fades into the lights... Man oh man. This photo is Academy Awards after party in the 50's.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,403 of 11,654
Quote:
And for me sadly I cannot attend either. I have the music but work commitments call me away I am afraid, if I get back in time I will try to hop in. Have fun guys!

RG and I will report back! Hopefully next time...

Quote:
The way the cable fades into the lights... Man oh man. This photo is Academy Awards after party in the 50's.

Dude.. So many things I could say. I'll keep it to: very, very well done, good sir. And thank you. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,404 of 11,654
Quote:
Cravenz,
I think that is a very honest and accurate view of the PF's, I think your thoughts sum up the PF experience really well, thank you!

Quote:
Good comments, cravenz. I have to get the PF X someday and complete the FAD chrome copper collection. I think that working with the chrome copper metal is FAD's real genius. Now that I have the tips and fit right (straight down, no over the ears), the Heaven VI is blowing me away. Yes, Chris, I agree that it is better than the ES5 on a balance of all factors. It deserves to be much more popular than it will ever be. The 1601SC is pure grace. No doubt, the PF X is the wild child of the three but fascinating. Those syrupy mids are unique, at least in my experience.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to edit my post later as I noticed a ton of mistakes 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2,405 of 11,654
Quote:
Good comments, cravenz. I have to get the PF X someday and complete the FAD chrome copper collection. I think that working with the chrome copper metal is FAD's real genius. Now that I have the tips and fit right (straight down, no over the ears), the Heaven VI is blowing me away. Yes, Chris, I agree that it is better than the ES5 on a balance of all factors. It deserves to be much more popular than it will ever be. The 1601SC is pure grace. No doubt, the PF X is the wild child of the three but fascinating. Those syrupy mids are unique, at least in my experience.

Amen, brother! 

It takes a while, like all good FAD products should. But the Heaven VI is remarkable. Especially for it price! And just you wait... they still, to this day, continue to impress me and grow on me. Fine Art Design. Nothing else really does this to me. The Chicago and New York Museum of Modern Art... Look, I've been to modern and traditional museums the world over... I've seen the Mona Lisa, and Starry Night... the most impactful artistic impressions in my life include NY MOMA, Chicago, the Van Gogh Museum in Holland, and Final Audio Design devices. They literally have changed my world-view. The experience itself, as well as the reflection upon it. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #2,406 of 11,654
nice review cravenz.

just wanted to clear up a couple of misunderstandings here. this is an appreciation and discussion thread. anyone who's heard a FAD phone should be allowed to post here even if they're not praising them.

I didn't judge the PFs on graphs - I listened to them. I checked out the graphs later coz I was interested to see how the frequency response looked and it looked a lot like what I heard. I see measurements as additional info that's all. anyone who thinks that I care more about how a phone measures than it sounds couldn't be more wrong.

I dig all kinds of music and listened to some well recorded jazz on the PFs coz i figured they'd suit. turns out i much preferred it on the fi ba ss coz it didn't mess with the recordings or alter the tone of the instruments as much. I think the fi ba ss is a pretty impressive phone for what it's worth. like I said - I get what the PFs are trying to achieve but didn't think much of the result. I also get that a few of you love the effect.

@music - if muddy comes off as too harsh a call I'm happy to change it to unclear. @ridleyguy - I'm not into listening to music at levels that makes my ears ring. :wink:

hope y'all cool wit dat. :wink:

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #2,408 of 11,654
Quote:
@ music - if muddy comes off as too harsh a call I'm happy to change it to unclear. @ ridleyguy - I'm not into listening to music at levels that makes my ears ring.
wink.gif

No, I don't think "muddy" is harsh, I just think it's the wrong term to use. I'd use "muddy" to describe something like the Earsonics SM3 (an IEM I personally found pretty awful). As for clarity, the PFs are certainly not detail monsters, but my ears tell me they have plenty of natural unforced clarity.

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,409 of 11,654
Quote:

No, I don't think "muddy" is harsh, I just think it's the wrong term to use. I'd use "muddy" to describe something like the Earsonics SM3 (an IEM I personally found pretty awful). As for clarity, the PFs are certainly not detail monsters, but my ears tell me they have plenty of natural unforced clarity.

But that's the thing. The SM3 for example is something you personally found pretty awful whilst others have enjoyed. To that end, then you could also argue the PFs are something you feel have natural unforced clarity, and I personally feel that couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps slightly exaggerated, but I really don't know how the actual producers meant the sound to come out as and for that reason, the natural sound will always be an ambiguity unless I was the producer, involved in the production or something of the like.

No offence by the way. It just goes to show how we all have different preferences and perceptions of what we deem as accurate sounding, or muddy etc.

I'm just not sure terms like "natural unforced clarity" defines the PF series. That or I'm just used to "forced clarity" which is also possible. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,411 of 11,654
Quote:

But that's the thing. The SM3 for example is something you personally found pretty awful whilst others have enjoyed. To that end, then you could also argue the PFs are something you feel have natural unforced clarity, and I personally feel that couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps slightly exaggerated, but I really don't know how the actual producers meant the sound to come out as and for that reason, the natural sound will always be an ambiguity unless I was the producer, involved in the production or something of the like.

No offence by the way. It just goes to show how we all have different preferences and perceptions of what we deem as accurate sounding, or muddy etc.

I'm just not sure terms like "natural unforced clarity" defines the PF series. That or I'm just used to "forced clarity" which is also possible. 

No offence taken at all. (BTW, I enjoyed reading your impressions and thought they are quite useful, just another perspective).

Yes, that's how I personally hear the PFs—and how I attempt, sometimes miserably, to describe their sonic qualities—and I do know, and have said so several times, that several / many people will not enjoy them (at all). The 160Xs are phones I hardly ever recommend to anyone because of their very particular nature.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,413 of 11,654
Quote:
The peculiar magic of them bleeding PF IXs… yet again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm88QAI8I5A

Go away. I don't have them with me anymore 
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:

No offence taken at all. (BTW, I enjoyed reading your impressions and thought they are quite useful, just another perspective).

Yes, that's how I personally hear the PFs—and how I attempt, sometimes miserably, to describe their sonic qualities—and I do know, and have said so several times, that several / many people will not enjoy them (at all). The 160Xs are phones I hardly ever recommend to anyone because of their very particular nature.

Thanks mate 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,414 of 11,654
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,415 of 11,654
Just an heads up..the excellent British hifi magazine HiFI+ reviews the adagio and SS in their may issue and rave about them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back