Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,146 of 11,644
Congratulations, Chris! You were already supreme in my book. This is just belated acknowledgement.  
size]

This thread is indeed a special fraternity/sorority. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2,147 of 11,644
Hi guys,

When I was a child of only a few hundred posts back in 2005, I would look upon the Headphoneus Supremus with their infinite wisdom and envy their stately status. I thought they knew everything. 

Now that I have reached that point, I realize I have just hit the tip of the iceberg on my knowledge. Reaching this status doesn't mean what it used to, but I still want to make the post here, my favorite thread. Filled with brilliant people, brilliant music, and brilliant discourse. This thread is my alcove of like-minded people. People that have purposely stretched their imaginations and questioned what high-end audio even is. We've stripped it down and built it back up. I've learned more here in this thread because of these people, and because of the fantastic products that brought them together, than anywhere else on HF put together. What I've learned here has changed my paradigm of high-end audio forever. 

So cheers to you

I've only just begun to get to know you, this amazing thread and it's unique inhabitants that have quickly found my respect if they didn't have it already, but I'm glad to have been even a small part of it so far. Congrats and I hope you'll still be around if I ever reach that magical milestone where I can fool people into thinking I know what I'm talking about. :evil:

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,148 of 11,644
Quote:
Congratulations, Chris! You were already supreme in my book. This is just belated acknowledgement.  
size]

This thread is indeed a special fraternity/sorority. 

Thank you sir, and yes it is!
Quote:
I've only just begun to get to know you, this amazing thread and it's unique inhabitants that have quickly found my respect if they didn't have it already, but I'm glad to have been even a small part of it so far. Congrats and I hope you'll still be around if I ever reach that magical milestone where I can fool people into thinking I know what I'm talking about.
evil_smiley.gif

Ha! It's true!

This thread is special. Glad you're here. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2,149 of 11,644
I'm not going to quote a ton of posts. It would drive me insane.

I kind of thought I was crazy to think that the Heaven V Aging I got was as good as I thought. I wanted to trust my ears but I haven't heard anything high enough up the chain to make that kind of statement. And here you guys are, putting it (or the VI) into the same sentences as a heavyweight such as the ES5.

The first thing I thought once I came to terms with the sound was that I can't imagine how high up you have to go to handily beat this by any significant amount and that my weakness for sales had stumbled me ass backwards into an incredible value. This is partly why I doubted myself. When I heard the GR07 and later the BA200, I couldn't even imagine with diminishing returns that I'd ever think that ~$300 was a "value", but there I was, with a huge grin on my face.

I don't know if any of you decided to read my ridiculously long impressions several days ago, but I'd love to know if you hear yours similarly or differently.

One of the things that amazed me most is when other people heard them. You know you've stumbled onto something when people who wouldn't pay more than $30 for a pair of headphones didn't think you were crazy all of a sudden when you told them you spent ~$300.

Thank you all for your thoughts and descriptions of the Heaven VI. I have a clearer picture in my mind. I still want to hear them lol, and with my presence here, that somehow makes sense. Maybe someday I will and maybe even own a set, but right now I am exceedingly happy with the V.

Ha! It's true!

This thread is special. Glad you're here. 

:beerchug:

Edit: Rereading this, it's not exactly the post I wanted to write when I originally read the comments from the last two pages lol. More like what just came to mind right then. Have a little Vodka and bam. Sigh.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #2,151 of 11,644
A few early impressions of the Heaven IV out of an iPod Classic.

The Heaven IV's presentation is very intimate/up close out of the iPod, and the sound signature is on the bright side of neutral to my ears. I believe the 160 GB iPod Classic is known to have a warm sound signature, so assuming this is true, you may want to factor this in choosing a source.

The IV's can go deep into the music for details and nuances, such as being able to capture the texture of bowing on a cello, and picking up the pronunciation of the ends of the words on vocal tracks. This is very apparent for both opera and Pop such as Celine Dion's music. If you like a warm sound signature though, my guess is that you would have to pair them with the right amp. or move to a warmer sounding headphone.

The IVs can handle symphonic music as well as Rock music. One Rock artist that I like to use to test headphones is Daughtry just because I don't find that his CDs are well produced, not the other way around. The IVs do a great job with his vocals, and at the same time are able to separate out the instruments in his band. I have found that with many headphones, his band seems to produce a solid wall of sound behind him, making the music hard to listen to. I find Kelly Clarkson's albums similar in this respect. The Heaven iVs can deal with both well produced and compressed music extremely well, but they shine with well produced tracks.

From memory, I far prefer the Heaven IVs to my Sennheiser IE8s, although in fairness, they take completely different approaches to reproducing music. The IE8s are known for their wide soundstage for an IEM, and they have a much warmer sound signature than the IVs, plus the listener is placed much further back from the musicians. Without being too repetitive, I think the very up front nature of the IVs presentation will be something people will either love or it could be a deal breaker for them, depending on how they like their music presented. Take a track like the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter. With the IVs, you are right up their with the Stones, in contrast to headphones like the PF IXs where you are at least 20 rows back, which gives you the sense of a sweeping musical soundstage as the song develops, which is very close to the live presentation. That being said, the Heaven IVs have tremendous clarity and you trade their digging down into each guitar note for the more unified yet still very detailed presentation of a headphone like the PF IXs. I picked the PF IXs for comparison here only because of the extreme difference in the way they present music, not to compare the two otherwise.

I haven't checked how the Heaven IV's scale with good amplification yet, but I will do so when my Pico Power amp arrives and post some impressions then. But even if they do scale well with amplification, etc., I personally would be quite happy traveling with the Heaven IVs and a DAP, and probably not miss my home rig too much, at least for a few weeks at a time!

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,152 of 11,644
I'll let Ian handle this one.... 
tongue.gif

Short answer: Yes, there some excellent options, but Ian is the early-adopter/resident expert of these fine amps. 

And welcome to the (music's) Piano Forte club!

Just want to send a big 'thank you' to you as you have initiated the contact to ianmedium and his great recommendations and support (also a big thank you to ianmedium here). Will get my tu-05 end of june and then can share some impressions about the pf viii here after having an amp worth to listen to the pf viii.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,153 of 11,644
Just want to send a big 'thank you' to you as you have initiated the contact to ianmedium and his great recommendations and support (also a big thank you to ianmedium here). Will get my tu-05 end of june and then can share some impressions about the pf viii here after having an amp worth to listen to the pf viii.

Thank you German Guy, as I said on the ASP thread I am so happy to have others owning this amp so we can exchange views!

Oh, I wil post this over there as well but here is a shot of this wonderful amp with the PF's and my 801 (oh, and an interloper!) together this lot make such beautiful music!

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,154 of 11,644
Quote:
I don't know if any of you decided to read my ridiculously long impressions several days ago, 

I did read it and I meant to comment. I thought you were spot on, and the review was an asset to this thread on a fine earphone. Glad you're enjoying them!

Excellent! You're very welcome and I can't wait to hear your impressions. I'll have a TU-05 sooner than later : )

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,155 of 11,644
Quote:

Excellent. I love how the FAD stuff often-time trumps the popular stuff. I want everyone to hear the Heaven line-up, but then I like that they aren't crazy popular. 

Looking forward to more impressions. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,156 of 11,644
Jun 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,157 of 11,644

Quote:

The Heaven IV's presentation is very intimate/up close out of the iPod, and the sound signature is on the bright side of neutral to my ears. I believe the 160 GB iPod Classic is known to have a warm sound signature, so assuming this is true, you may want to factor this in choosing a source.

The IV's can go deep into the music for details and nuances, such as being able to capture the texture of bowing on a cello, and picking up the pronunciation of the ends of the words on vocal tracks. This is very apparent for both opera and Pop such as Celine Dion's music. If you like a warm sound signature though, my guess is that you would have to pair them with the right amp. or move to a warmer sounding headphone.

The IVs can handle symphonic music as well as Rock music. One Rock artist that I like to use to test headphones is Daughtry just because I don't find that his CDs are well produced, not the other way around. The IVs do a great job with his vocals, and at the same time are able to separate out the instruments in his band. I have found that with many headphones, his band seems to produce a solid wall of sound behind him, making the music hard to listen to. I find Kelly Clarkson's albums similar in this respect. The Heaven iVs can deal with both well produced and compressed music extremely well, but they shine with well produced tracks.

From memory, I far prefer the Heaven IVs to my Sennheiser IE8s, although in fairness, they take completely different approaches to reproducing music. The IE8s are known for their wide soundstage for an IEM, and they have a much warmer sound signature than the IVs, plus the listener is placed much further back from the musicians. Without being too repetitive, I think the very up front nature of the IVs presentation will be something people will either love or it could be a deal breaker for them, depending on how they like their music presented. Take a track like the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter. With the IVs, you are right up their with the Stones, in contrast to headphones like the PF IXs where you are at least 20 rows back, which gives you the sense of a sweeping musical soundstage as the song develops, which is very close to the live presentation. That being said, the Heaven IVs have tremendous clarity and you trade their digging down into each guitar note for the more unified yet still very detailed presentation of a headphone like the PF IXs. I picked the PF IXs for comparison here only because of the extreme difference in the way they present music, not to compare the two otherwise.

I haven't checked how the Heaven IV's scale with good amplification yet, but I will do so when my Pico Power amp arrives and post some impressions then. But even if they do scale well with amplification, etc., I personally would be quite happy traveling with the Heaven IVs and a DAP, and probably not miss my home rig too much, at least for a few weeks at a time!

Very good review, Ridleyguy. I didn't like the Heaven IV when I heard it but that was the same day that I didn't like the FI-BA-SS, generally was having a lousy listening session, then perked up my ears at the TG334 (slightly sloppy bass notwithstanding), and then was amused and amazed by the PF X-CC. My mood can make a big difference in these short listening sessions and both the Heaven IV and FI-BA-SS deserve a revisit.

I am not sure that I would describe the iPod Classic as a warm source. It has a limited dynamic range (par for the course for 1 Vrms output) and rolled off treble but it is otherwise fairly neutral in tone. It has low THD from the line out and is a good portable source. I like it.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,158 of 11,644
I felt compelled this morning to try and reach out and bring some understanding to a few people

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,159 of 11,644
Thanks for your kind words cooperpwc, and also for clarifying the iPod Classic's sound signature. To your point on the FI-BA-SS, I don't like it at all out of an iPod for most of my music, and currently only use it with my home setup. This presents some challenges for me with its relatively short cable compared with full sized headphones. I am hoping that a good portable setup will work with it.

It's interesting your comment on mood, because I don't think you could find more different musical presentations than between the PFs and the Heaven series and how we feel plays such an important role in how we respond to music.

In the short time I have had both series, If one isn't working for me then I switch to the other, but I personally find the PF IXs less fussy about source, and easier to live with overall. I would use the example that the PFs let you listen to one coherent musical presentation , while the FI-BA-SS can focus you, depending on your mood, on every sound on the track, such as breathing, etc., whether the piano is out of tune, how the track has been miked and mixed , etc., etc.which can all be very distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back