Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 23, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #2,731 of 4,847
Hi Josè.

Thank you so much for your advice. It seems you are absolutely right that I have to go through a 2nd party /distributor to get them looked at. I live in Canada, so maybe Audio 46 based out of New York maybe the way I have to go. I did buy the Junkosha’JunFlon balanced cable (silver coated) from them and it seemed like they were the only ones that were carrying it. Lol.

Anyhow. Thank you. I don’t like EQ’ing and I shouldn’t have to. The headphones themselves honestly sound absolutely glorious, but once I put the volume up closer to 90db they start to lose some composure, however with some new findings which are pad alignment specification with the 4 driver vent holes has helped me gain quite a bit more volume clarity at higher levels. You and many others on here have probably noticed that the soft metal ring on the outside of the headphone, if you hold it up to the light you can see there is 4 small holes grouped together spaced out in a quad formation to match the vents of the pads. 😳

I am actually surprised this hasn’t been talked about more on here but the pad alignment vents with the metal ring vents is absolutely critical!!! I didn’t know this and had the pads slightly misaligned. That actually affects things. The AFDS isn’t breathing properly. Lol long story short.

Anyhow. I gotta stop rambling, but I just wanted to say I’ve enjoyed reading a lot of your posts about the pro on here, Jośe. Your impressions have been invaluable.
Talk soon and certainly I’ll post more findings cause things are improving.
The headphones really are truly awesome and maybe my absolute favorite yet.

😎
Very glad I could help, please check this out if you haven't yet! https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...pro-out-of-the-dark-ages-of-ortho-tech.10824/

I hope you get it fixed asap!

Edit:
I am actually surprised this hasn’t been talked about more on here but the pad alignment vents with the metal ring vents is absolutely critical!!! I didn’t know this and had the pads slightly misaligned. That actually affects things. The AFDS isn’t breathing properly. Lol long story short.

Mine were aligned haha, amazing finding, had no idea!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #2,732 of 4,847
It looks like the vents and pad gaps should be perfectly aligned as long as the stitching on the pads is in line with the headphone jacks (unless, perhaps, you have defective pads).

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,733 of 4,847
It looks like the vents and pad gaps should be perfectly aligned as long as the stitching on the pads is in line with the headphone jacks (unless, perhaps, you have defective pads).
The stitching is like a guiding post. Lol.
Yeah. It is a good reference point.
Also. Congrats on the headphones. I really do love them, but the volume flexibility is a little suspect right now with my pair, however the headphones I bought from a seller barely used them at all!! He had them for about five months and I can tell that maybe the D-8000 drivers need a possible break in period. I’m remaining patient before I jump the gun for an immediate repair. 👍

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #2,734 of 4,847
Very glad I could help, please check this out if you haven't yet! https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...pro-out-of-the-dark-ages-of-ortho-tech.10824/

I hope you get it fixed asap!

Edit:

Mine were aligned haha, amazing finding, had no idea!
Yeah I got totally OCD with the new toy syndrome and just marveled at the build quality, design and structure of the headphones. Then I put the D-8000’s under intense lighting and found that clever engineering prowess.
It is such incredible Japanese engineering if I may say. I’m totally awe struck. It is an event just picking the damn things up!! :)

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #2,735 of 4,847
If you don't mind spending a bit more to get something special, I wholeheartedly recommend this one, designed for the D8000s, in collaboration with Beautiful Audio in New Zealand.

https://www.headonist.fr/products/bandeau-confort-pour-final-serie-d?_pos=1&_sid=9a7a596f9&_ss=r

IMG_0050_1600x.jpg

Just bought one for my Pros after demoing it in the shop. It comes in two versions, one in full Nappa leather (photo) and another with leather on top and Merinos wool on the skull side.

I don't regret the 170€ I spent, a quality investment. Supreme comfort, mark my words.

Pierre, the Headonist shop owner, is a great guy. Don't hesitate to get in touch.
Hi guys,

Just to add up on this, after owning a D8000 a while ago, i sold it as the cups were just pulling my head down and didn’t fully enjoy the headphone.
But after trying again with this very nice headband, i purchased a D8000 pro with confidence and sold my very comfy Meze Elite. No regrets!
It’s just handmade for this headphone, what else to ask for !!
And Pierre is as said a great guy
😍 for hours of listening
6F2CBF70-1727-408F-B07E-C44E65CFE180.jpeg

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #2,739 of 4,847
Hi guys,

Just to add up on this, after owning a D8000 a while ago, i sold it as the cups were just pulling my head down and didn’t fully enjoy the headphone.
But after trying again with this very nice headband, i purchased a D8000 pro with confidence and sold my very comfy Meze Elite. No regrets!
😍 for hours of listening
Would you please share your opinion between the Meze Elite and D8KP? Merci beaucoup!

Sep 24, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,743 of 4,847
No prob. Really? I can’t stop being outraged by the price of pads. I know that Focals are double that, but still.
Well.. I think so. 1 pair is 80 dollars at Audio46, so importing 2 pairs to Spain should be over 200 for sure.
As you said, Focals and other brands charges way more for a single pair.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,744 of 4,847
Hi guys,

😍 for hours of listening
I owned the original Empyrean for awhile, then sold it. And I heard the Elite a number of times at CanJam in NYC this February (and really liked the sound).

The Elite struck me as an improvement on the Empyrean's sound, and both were visually spectacular and as comfortable as any headphone I ever had on. But...I seriously doubt either can compete with the D8000 in sound, top-to-bottom.

With the assistance of a very helpful Head-Fi'er, I installed a leather underband, tensioned so that it takes most of the weight of the headphone and redirects from that hotspot on top you get w/using just the stock headband. That, plus swapping out the stock pads for the Pro's "G" pads, put my D8000 in a different league, both for comfort and sound.

It's going to be extremely interesting to compare the D8000 to the new ZMF Caldera (open back planar)...assuming I get that chance.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,745 of 4,847
Hi guys. I just wanted to quickly follow up with my previous problem of clipping/driver rattle that I was experiencing in the 85 to 90 DB range of volume.
Well. It was due to the pad vents being slightly out of position from the driver ring vents. 🫣
crap happens, but I already feel stupid enough. Quite simply the air flow was being restricted and redirected causing the problem in the first place. Anyhow all is well and long story short the D-8000 is my favorite headphone right now. I’m absolutely slamming them out of my WA 22 with the balanced Connection in place and it is glorious. A lot of what people talked about regarding these headphones here is absolutely true. They slam well and have a crap ton of detail. The treble is very relaxed as well. Anyway gents. I’m so very happy. I’m just in awe of Final’s engineering here. A true piece of Japanese art. I absolutely love these headphones!!
Feel free to ask me any questions at all, friends. I’m incredibly enthusiastic about what I’m hearing. It is Goose Bump City. 🤑

Attachments

• 9A680F2B-C03A-4CA2-BEAC-E974FFAA4E44.jpeg
    9A680F2B-C03A-4CA2-BEAC-E974FFAA4E44.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 096BA54A-9347-4A05-AFEF-BCA2F1CBF602.jpeg
    096BA54A-9347-4A05-AFEF-BCA2F1CBF602.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 64AB0337-581A-4808-A53B-12B7ACA8EC72.jpeg
    64AB0337-581A-4808-A53B-12B7ACA8EC72.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • BFBF5BFB-FAC3-42CC-A0E4-431EEA8ED0EE.jpeg
    BFBF5BFB-FAC3-42CC-A0E4-431EEA8ED0EE.jpeg