Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 28, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #2,761 of 4,852
Thanks for the tip. Mounted mine yesterday. It fits like a glove and is a very welcome comfort improvement with less of a hotspot on the top of my head. :)

1664357293948.png1664357306080.png
That headband does look amazing. I can’t lie. 🤭

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,762 of 4,852
In case anyone browsing is on the fence...there's a crazy good price (and they're accepting offers!) pair of D8000 on eBay. Looks to need a new pair of pads, but otherwise testing and working: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234712105789

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,763 of 4,852
In case anyone browsing is on the fence...there's a crazy good price (and they're accepting offers!) pair of D8000 on eBay. Looks to need a new pair of pads, but otherwise testing and working: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234712105789
The pair looks good, though of course impossible to really tell. Then again, there's a 60 day return policy w/buyer paying shipping. That's way better than nothing IMO.

That Japanese seller's "store" on eBay is the real deal--lots of high end headphone audio.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #2,764 of 4,852
Hey everyone! I'm looking through the thread now, and it seems like the main difference between D8000 and D8000 pro is tuning. With that being the case, would you say it'd make sense to just to get the D8000 and EQ accordingly if you can get that one significantly cheaper than the Pro version?

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #2,765 of 4,852
Hey everyone! I'm looking through the thread now, and it seems like the main difference between D8000 and D8000 pro is tuning. With that being the case, would you say it'd make sense to just to get the D8000 and EQ accordingly if you can get that one significantly cheaper than the Pro version?
If you can get any D8000 version as a great price I suggest you go for it and don't look back and yes! it accepts EQ like a champ

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,766 of 4,852
If you can get any D8000 version as a great price I suggest you go for it and don't look back and yes! it accepts EQ like a champ
Thanks! Yeah, I'll probably test them out a local shop next week to see what I think. Basically it's between me keeping my HD 800s or exchanging for this headphone. Do you think these headphones are comfortable? There seems to be mixed responses here from users, some say yes, some say no. I have a relatively small head if that makes any difference, lol.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #2,767 of 4,852
Thanks! Yeah, I'll probably test them out a local shop next week to see what I think. Basically it's between me keeping my HD 800s or exchanging for this headphone. Do you think these headphones are comfortable? There seems to be mixed responses here from users, some say yes, some say no. I have a relatively small head if that makes any difference, lol.
I own both the Final D8000 pro and the HD800s. Both have a similar tuning, neutral-bright, but the Final has significant more bass and more body overall.

Comfort is a no contest IMO. HD800s are one of the most confortable headphones that I've tried, while the D8000 pro wasn't very comfortable when I got them. HD800s has almost no clamp pressure, while the D8000 got high clamp. I had to bend the headband and install a headband protector and a strap to make them reasonably comfortable.

Also, the room in the HD800s is massive compared to the D8000, which has less room and your ears will be touching the inside of the pads. Thats isn't bad for me compared to the clamp pressure.

Anyways, comfort and fit preferences are very subjective, so you rather try them by yourself.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #2,768 of 4,852
You'll like it 99,9% haha

I don't really mind about comfort as long as I like the sound, I guess they're comfortable but I'm not an exquisite person, anything will work for me.

Compared to HD800s and its design/weight I don't think much headphones can match the comfortness of the Deutsche

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #2,769 of 4,852
Do you think these headphones are comfortable? There seems to be mixed responses here from users, some say yes, some say no. I have a relatively small head if that makes any difference, lol.
I have a rather large head and have comfort issues with this or that headphone as a result. Maybe it's because of that, but I've developed a functional/practical approach to comfort:
  • Let's say a given headphone is average at best in comfort (that describes my Final D8000 when it arrived in stock form)
  • I found 3 issues with the comfort, things that kind of annoyed me:
    1. The headband, even though it's padded somewhat, sat on the crown of my head and pretty quickly caused a "hot spot"
    2. The stock earpads had IMO a "slippery," fake material feel. They didn't feel great resting on the skin around my ears
    3. And the earcups slid up and down too readily. I had to readjust them every time I put the headphone on
  • So I fixed each of those 3 issues in different ways:
    1. A very helpful Head-Fi pal sent me a leather underband he'd made. He pre-drilled holes at the bottom of each side, and these holes get captured by the 4 tiny screws (2 per side) on the inside of that squarish black plastic housing that interfaces the headband to the curved metal pieces that hold each earpad. I had to redrill the holes on one side to shorted the effective part of the underband by ~3/16". The idea is the underband, not the headband, shapes to your head and holds the weight of the headphone. It works rather well. No more hot spot. [Note: the padded leather headband cover shown in recent posts would probably make this headband even more comfortable]
    2. I ordered a pair of the Pro's "G" pads, which have a comfy alacantra-type material that directly contacts the skin around each ear. It was a PITA to swap pads, but it made a real difference, and not just in comfort--the bass on the D8K got even better
    3. And finally, the same helpful Head-Fi pal had sent me a couple small black rubber bands that I positioned precisely on each metal earcup slider--so the earcup would slide down to the rubber band, but no further. With a little trial and error, the whole issue of moving-target earcups was gone.
Picture below shows what I'm talking about. Very hard to show those tiny little screws in a photo, but you can clearly see the underband and the black rubber band on one slider (I pulled the earcup up from it so that you could see it).

These things don't make the D8000 as comfy as an HD800s. But I found that neutralizing the 3 things that bothered me about its comfort allowed me to put it on, enjoy that great sound, and not think about comfort at all.

Final D8000.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2,770 of 4,852
I recently added a Cayin HA-3A to my setup and I have to say it's a pretty amazing combination with my D8k. Especially after replacing the stock tubes with some nicer NOS tubes it really came to life. It's the best I've heard them yet. Absolutely addictive. Powerful, well controlled low end, a nice bump in the mids, very full sounding with a beautiful sweetness - especially noticeable with vocals - and the treble is nice and sparkly but never harsh. All combined with a wonderful spatial presentation. Play the Spring 3 in NOS as well and just get lost in the music :beyersmile:

1664916174717.png
1664916184653.png

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,771 of 4,852
I recently added a Cayin HA-3A to my setup and I have to say it's a pretty amazing combination with my D8k. Especially after replacing the stock tubes with some nicer NOS tubes it really came to life. It's the best I've heard them yet. Absolutely addictive. Powerful, well controlled low end, a nice bump in the mids, very full sounding with a beautiful sweetness - especially noticeable with vocals - and the treble is nice and sparkly but never harsh. All combined with a wonderful spatial presentation. Play the Spring 3 in NOS as well and just get lost in the music :beyersmile:

1664916174717.png1664916184653.png
Looks like Zurich is a happening place!

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2,772 of 4,852
Well gentlemen and possibly ladies, I’m happy to say like what some others have on here and that is the D8K responds incredibly well to quality tube amplification. :)

I’m extremely happy with the Woo Audio WA 22 with upgraded tubes. The might in the low end and the depth in sound really is the most agreeable listening situation I’ve ever experienced in my life. The D8K already have a relaxed tuning, however with a great tube amp to bump the mids and get even more low end warmth I have to say the D8K has the most agreeable tuning I’ve ever experienced. I can listen to absolutely anything!! Any genre and just about any fidelity I throw at this headphone is an absolute smooth pleasure trip.

I can’t believe a headphone with this tuning can be so detailed and yet still hear the flaws in recordings, but those flaws are digestible and allow to just enjoy the music for what it is.

I’m truly grateful and it is so nice that I can finally switch off analyzing everything I’m hearing and just enjoy the music. Above all, I really now understand why this headphone does carry a heavy price tag. This is a gift and a half.

Attachments

• B9BAB79C-BEC7-40F0-943D-B82231A97215.jpeg
    B9BAB79C-BEC7-40F0-943D-B82231A97215.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #2,773 of 4,852
So I've had these for a week now. Initially I listened to them via the integrated amp in my Matrix Element M with the stock SPC cable. The cable feels nice but the length hence the weight is too much. I received an Audiophile Ninja 4.4 Pentaconn to connect to my XI Broadway.... next thing is damn!! This sound hella good!!

I already suspected from all the reviews and praises that these would surpass the Diana Phi. Besides the glowing praises on this forum when the employee at Audio46 told me I should've bought them instead of the Diana Phi; I was stubborn. Well, he was right and that stubbornness cost me an extra couple hundred in taxes before Audio46 wouldnt have to collect taxes from out of state customers.
Eitherway, I got an open box deal for what are new headphones. They hooked me up last time with my Arya SE as well since Ive bought quite a lot from them.

So on to the sound coming from my rig; IMO its close to excellent. I specifically bought the D8KP because I knew my amp could drive them well. The XI Broadway is allegedly tuned for the Diana Phi but most planars Ive thrown at it have sounded great with it. Its designed to drive low impedance cans so no wonder. Its just an overlooked amp due to it being marketed as specially for Diana headphones. I actually have been enjoying the Finals with the Broadway's matching R2R the K DAC.

These cans also sound wonderful off my iFi Diablo. Less detailed and textured than my desktop rig but a very enjoy sound none the less. Im thoroughly impressed and relieved that the D8KP fill that void that I tried to remediate with the Diana Phi. The Diana is still a fine headphone but it sounds so sterile and flat compared to the Final.
Now, the Final aren't as comfy plus they're notably heavier than the Diana but the sound is worth the trade off.

The amount of detail, texture, bass impact and treble extension with very nice and not over accentuated mid range makes this headphone very close to a unicorn.
Its not perfect in the sense that it kind of has a "generic" tone. Thats not a knock though; no frequency really stands out like my Diana Phi or my Arya SE that provide that "house sound" that we become accustomed to from our favorite brands. Instead the Final provides a balanced response that doesn't really on a strange tuning as much as its strengths rely on a headphone that you can throw most genres at and make it sound great. From house music to classical this headphone handles it without breaking a sweat. Sure, at times the bass seems a little heavy or perhaps its my rig that seems to suck out some of the upper mids compared to the Diana Phi but when I switch between these two cans the contrast is quite stark, favoring the D8KP due to the balance of the frequencies in its tonality.

Compared to my Arya SE; the Final stomps them. The Arya Stealth are a great pair of cans. For the price they're hard to beat but after being able to compare them with the D8KP they come off as artificial and thin. Still a very fun headphone which I think I will keep around but Final are in a different league all together.

Overall; I find the D8KP to provide a true Hi-Fi sound. Immersive, dynamic, textured and at times bombastic. These are the best headphones I've owned so far. Sure, they're not as light weight and tiny as the Abyss Diana or have the impressive staging provided by the Arya but they provide a sound profile that I would easily recommend to anyone looking for cans in this price range.

PS I don't recommend attaching anything with an adhesive like the head band cushion in the picture. It peeled off some of the pleather (?) when I tried readjusting it.

5F38D5FC-9862-40BA-9A7D-8A529C56FAC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,774 of 4,852
So I've had these for a week now. Initially I listened to them via the integrated amp in my Matrix Element M with the stock SPC cable. The cable feels nice but the length hence the weight is too much. I received an Audiophile Ninja 4.4 Pentaconn to connect to my XI Broadway.... next thing is damn!! This sound hella good!!

I already suspected from all the reviews and praises that these would surpass the Diana Phi. Besides the glowing praises on this forum when the employee at Audio46 told me I should've bought them instead of the Diana Phi; I was stubborn. Well, he was right and that stubbornness cost me an extra couple hundred in taxes before Audio46 wouldnt have to collect taxes from out of state customers.
Eitherway, I got an open box deal for what are new headphones. They hooked me up last time with my Arya SE as well since Ive bought quite a lot from them.

So on to the sound coming from my rig; IMO its close to excellent. I specifically bought the D8KP because I knew my amp could drive them well. The XI Broadway is allegedly tuned for the Diana Phi but most planars Ive thrown at it have sounded great with it. Its designed to drive low impedance cans so no wonder. Its just an overlooked amp due to it being marketed as specially for Diana headphones. I actually have been enjoying the Finals with the Broadway's matching R2R the K DAC.

These cans also sound wonderful off my iFi Diablo. Less detailed and textured than my desktop rig but a very enjoy sound none the less. Im thoroughly impressed and relieved that the D8KP fill that void that I tried to remediate with the Diana Phi. The Diana is still a fine headphone but it sounds so sterile and flat compared to the Final.
Now, the Final aren't as comfy plus they're notably heavier than the Diana but the sound is worth the trade off.

The amount of detail, texture, bass impact and treble extension with very nice and not over accentuated mid range makes this headphone very close to a unicorn.
Its not perfect in the sense that it kind of has a "generic" tone. Thats not a knock though; no frequency really stands out like my Diana Phi or my Arya SE that provide that "house sound" that we become accustomed to from our favorite brands. Instead the Final provides a balanced response that doesn't really on a strange tuning as much as its strengths rely on a headphone that you can throw most genres at and make it sound great. From house music to classical this headphone handles it without breaking a sweat. Sure, at times the bass seems a little heavy or perhaps its my rig that seems to suck out some of the upper mids compared to the Diana Phi but when I switch between these two cans the contrast is quite stark, favoring the D8KP due to the balance of the frequencies in its tonality.

Compared to my Arya SE; the Final stomps them. The Arya Stealth are a great pair of cans. For the price they're hard to beat but after being able to compare them with the D8KP they come off as artificial and thin. Still a very fun headphone which I think I will keep around but Final are in a different league all together.

Overall; I find the D8KP to provide a true Hi-Fi sound. Immersive, dynamic, textured and at times bombastic. These are the best headphones I've owned so far. Sure, they're not as light weight and tiny as the Abyss Diana or have the impressive staging provided by the Arya but they provide a sound profile that I would easily recommend to anyone looking for cans in this price range.5F38D5FC-9862-40BA-9A7D-8A529C56FAC4.jpeg
I’m extremely happy for you and can very greatly identify with your excitement and contentment. Well done, sir. Enjoy.

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #2,775 of 4,852

Overall; I find the D8KP to provide a true Hi-Fi sound. Immersive, dynamic, textured and at times bombastic. These are the best headphones I've owned so far. Sure, they're not as light weight and tiny as the Abyss Diana or have the impressive staging provided by the Arya but they provide a sound profile that I would easily recommend to anyone looking for cans in this price range.5F38D5FC-9862-40BA-9A7D-8A529C56FAC4.jpeg
I got my D8K from Audio46, too. It was a very smooth/good transaction.

A shoutout to Ben Gilliam @Audio46 for helping put these amazing headphones on my head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back