Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #1,037 of 5,131
Hi all!

recently I auditioned D8000 regular and pro versions. While regular one was too bass heavy to me, the pro one sounded appealing. I am going to borrow a test pair from local audio store for testing at home with my gear and music.

I am concerned about driver hitting magnets issue. Some people say it is not present in Pro while some say it is. Is it something I can test by getting a bass heavy song? Do you recommend a particular one? Is it something that damages drivers instantly or after some time? Is someone able to explain how they behave while playing loud bass and how careful I should be? Thanks.

Hi!

Since you’re considering the Pro, you shouldn’t worry about it unless you want to listen to exaggerated bass music at over 105dB. When the driver does hit the magnet when worn, it sounds like a clicking noise along with the undistorted music. Interestingly, if you were to take off the Pro when you hear the clicking noise, you would hear distortion coming from the back of the drivers.

My thought is if one were to have this happen a few times for short periods, from personal experience, likely no permanent damage.

“Blue Lines” from Massive Attack is a good demo.

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,038 of 5,131
Got a test pair and this is very disappointing. It happens even when playing not that loud. For example in this song at 1:02 mark: from my RME ADI2 DAC at -10dB in low power mode. To tell the truth my HFM Arya handles it far better. D8000 Pro really sound good to me and despite arguable comfort, I would confider buying. But with this? At this price tag unacceptable IMO. I wonder if this test pair is so worn off as it happens only in one channel or this is really how they behave.

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,039 of 5,131
Got a test pair and this is very disappointing. It happens even when playing not that loud. For example in this song at 1:02 mark: from my RME ADI2 DAC at -10dB in low power mode. To tell the truth my HFM Arya handles it far better. D8000 Pro really sound good to me and despite arguable comfort, I would confider buying. But with this? At this price tag unacceptable IMO. I wonder if this test pair is so worn off as it happens only in one channel or this is really how they behave.

I play music on my D8000Pro very loudly and have never experienced the rattle from the magnets - if you really like them I'd see if it was possible to get another pair to try.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,040 of 5,131

I play music on my D8000Pro very loudly and have never experienced the rattle from the magnets - if you really like them I'd see if it was possible to get another pair to try.

I agree with @puppypatrol to try another set. If you can, buy the Pro from a dealer where you can return them. It sounds to me the set you heard may have been damaged from improper use.

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,041 of 5,131

For you its best you move onto another headphone. Your mind seems strongly against it.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,042 of 5,131

I play a lot of very bass heavy music like Dubstep, I even EQed a 4 dB bass boost, but I have never experienced any rattle symptoms with my Final Audio D8000 Pro.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,043 of 5,131
I play a lot of very bass heavy music like Dubstep, I even EQed a 4 dB bass boost, but I have never experienced any rattle symptoms with my Final Audio D8000 Pro.
Try this

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,044 of 5,131
First time poster on this thread..

I had an extemely brief listen with the Final D8000 Pro the other day. Maybe just a few minutes as I was rushed for time. They're really comfortable headphones! Perhaps the session was just too short, but I wasn't sure if I found anything that stood out about the d8000 Pro (sound wise).

I have the TC Phi, Utopia, Susvara. I've had the Meze empy, VO (briefly), and VC. Can anyone chime in and let me know what the D8000 Pro would bring to the table? I was recently considering blind purchasing the grado ps2000e but someone on the susvara thread swayed me away from it. So I have some funds which I can divert elsewhere.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,045 of 5,131
First time poster on this thread..

I had an extemely brief listen with the Final D8000 Pro the other day. Maybe just a few minutes as I was rushed for time. They're really comfortable headphones! Perhaps the session was just too short, but I wasn't sure if I found anything that stood out about the d8000 Pro (sound wise).

I have the TC Phi, Utopia, Susvara. I've had the Meze empy, VO (briefly), and VC. Can anyone chime in and let me know what the D8000 Pro would bring to the table? I was recently considering blind purchasing the grado ps2000e but someone on the susvara thread swayed me away from it. So I have some funds which I can divert elsewhere.
For strictly classical music I could see me use the Susvara, but for all other types of music, especially if you are into electronic type of music, I prefer the D8000 Pro. They definitely have the fuller bodied sound if you ask me.
For me they are the perfect all arounders, you can also wear when lying in bed without having to worry about the fit or the seal.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,046 of 5,131
Thanks all for your advices. I found a song that causes rattling in second channel and some people mentioning this issue in other forums as well. I will not risk buying. At this price tag I expect pure perfection from gear that I buy. I am not able to return them in case of purchase as I wouldn't buy them online. They are $1k cheaper in local audio store. That would be a bargain. To be honest they are great headphones in general, but taught by HiFiMan - no compromises in quality. Manufacturers rise price high, I rise expectations even higher.

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,047 of 5,131
Thanks all for your advices. I found a song that causes rattling in second channel and some people mentioning this issue in other forums as well. I will not risk buying. At this price tag I expect pure perfection from gear that I buy. I am not able to return them in case of purchase as I wouldn't buy them online. They are $1k cheaper in local audio store. That would be a bargain. To be honest they are great headphones in general, but taught by HiFiMan - no compromises in quality. Manufacturers rise price high, I rise expectations even higher.
You fail to understand if you hear rattling in one side that is a defect or damage from prior mis use. Rattling should be happening on both sides if it was being caused by the limitation of the driver. If you understood how the headphone works, you might get a grasp of it.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #1,048 of 5,131
You fail to understand if you hear rattling in one side that is a defect or damage from prior mis use. Rattling should be happening on both sides if it was being caused by the limitation of the driver. If you understood how the headphone works, you might get a grasp of it.
I though that louder volume causes more diaphragm excursion. Plus most songs are not recorded in mono and they might have different bass amount in L and R. As written before both channels produce rattling noise when playing low bass. I fully understand that it might be a damage of test pair but it is not hard to find here or in other forums that it is a common issue in D8000 and Pro version was tuned down in bass to "fix" it. There are many other headphones that are able to play exaggerated bass, if asked. Apparently they have a design limitation and having no chance of testing yet another pair, I am simply not risking a purchase. Please accept my decision instead of judging what I understand or not. I do not want to own headphones that force me to think of keeping volume down in particular cases. I definitely prefer situation where my ears are the ones that inform me about too high volume.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,049 of 5,131
I though that louder volume causes more diaphragm excursion. Plus most songs are not recorded in mono and they might have different bass amount in L and R. As written before both channels produce rattling noise when playing low bass. I fully understand that it might be a damage of test pair but it is not hard to find here or in other forums that it is a common issue in D8000 and Pro version was tuned down in bass to "fix" it. There are many other headphones that are able to play exaggerated bass, if asked. Apparently they have a design limitation and having no chance of testing yet another pair, I am simply not risking a purchase. Please accept my decision instead of judging what I understand or not. I do not want to own headphones that force me to think of keeping volume down in particular cases. I definitely prefer situation where my ears are the ones that inform me about too high volume.
I didn't judge your decision, I simply responded to one of your posts, maybe I implied but most songs typically have the same bass response on both channels especially the songs listed. You could swap the cable and see if you get the same rattling as you mentioned you are definitely getting it in one channel I wasn't aware at the time of responding to said post, that you had rattling in both.
We are talking about dbs in the 100db range , I just don't want your post to mislead others because as an owner of the pros, someone who's been ridiculed for listening to music "too loud" , with headphones. I enjoy these headphones at all loudness levels.

Ps I can hear my headphones over 50 feet across my house.

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,050 of 5,131
I love when one persons problem with their particular HP becomes cause for conversation about the HP in general...sounds to me like a defective item...return it and move on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back