Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,066 of 4,880
8000 Pro on ears right now, courtesy of a very good friend. Listening to Alt-J / An Awesome Wave for the first time.

Alt-J_-_An_Awesome_Wave.png

Bliss... :smile:

My system : PC/fb2k -> usb Eitr -> coax Audio-GD NFB20.2 -> XLR Pro iCan -> SE spc cable D8000 Pro

Right before Alt-J was :

image.php

I'm only getting to know the final co-flagship, but the need to keep on playing is there alright. It's 2:43 in the AM and I'm - not - going to bed - anytime soon. Hell no. F*ck it. Still got a zillion things to add to the playlist. :smiling_imp:

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,067 of 4,880
:dizzy_face:

image.php

Track 10 : 'Take My Life'

is the equivalent of

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized.gif

Yummy

Do we have an eargasm ? Yes we do :grinning:

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #1,068 of 4,880
4:28 in the AM

Melanie de Biasio

Another discovery for me. What a gem. What a way to end this memorable session. This is one hell of a set of headphones.

I'll compare to my trusty LCD2.2 prefazor, but later. Right now it is pure - sheer - enjoyment. Thank you @Elawarai for the opportunity. Having a blast. :blush:

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,069 of 4,880
Same here, the D8000Pro is my favourite headphone at the moment along with the Heddphone. I am somewhat relieved that I got rid of the SR009S, LCD4, Utopia and Empyrean as I really wanted to like them and it took a long time to realise that some headphones just don’t work for me.

I like the Final D8000Pro over the Susvara, Empy, Utopia, LCD-4 and HEKse, all of which I still have ...

Wow I am surprised. Have not seen many people choose d8k pro over those. What makes you like it more? Also did you compare to Abyss TC?

Also do the pads bother you because for me the inner portion touches my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,070 of 4,880
The pads do sometimes feel a bit rough but I don’t mind.
I never heard the TC but the PhiCC I have and love; certainly best bass possible. The only gripe for me is that it feels like a headphone of two halves. The stunning bass and somewhat separated the rest of the spectrum...in other words a lack of cohesion. Can be remedied with a tube amp but right now I am off tubes.
The 8000Pro feels like a complete headphone in that regard and like the Hedd, the sound has body and is beautifully musical and engaging.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,071 of 4,880
Wow I am surprised. Have not seen many people choose d8k pro over those. What makes you like it more? Also did you compare to Abyss TC?

Also do the pads bother you because for me the inner portion touches my ears.

To me the D8000Pro is the most coherent of the cans I have, and the most well rounded overall - I have not tried the TC or any Abyss - but between the HEKse (a bit brittle and light sounding at higher levels), the Utopias (a bit bright sometimes with a smaller soundstage), the LCD-4 (which to me have a bit of a "cupped hands" midrange) and the Empyreans (a bit dark with an overlapping low midrange) I find the Finals to have no glaring weaknesses. I do find the pads a bit uncomfortable for some reason I can't put my finger on, and I had to have a balanced cable made for them but compared to the others mentioned here they suit all genres of music and are without major flaws.

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,072 of 4,880
It would be nice to discuss which hp amps will bring out the best of the D8000/Pro.
I myself use a Questyle 12 CMA and although I am quite happy with it, I am curious how the D8000/will scale with "better", a bit more powerful amps.
I am very much interested in two amps, the Bakoon amp 13r and the Cayin HA-300.
Both have received phantastic reviews recently in two German publications, but I myself alas have not yet been able to audition those amps with my Final D8000 Pro.
And let me add the Niimbus US4+.
This is another amp I would love to test with the Final.
What amps do you guys use with your D8000/Pro?

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,073 of 4,880
The pads do sometimes feel a bit rough but I don’t mind.
I never heard the TC but the PhiCC I have and love; certainly best bass possible. The only gripe for me is that it feels like a headphone of two halves. The stunning bass and somewhat separated the rest of the spectrum...in other words a lack of cohesion. Can be remedied with a tube amp but right now I am off tubes.
The 8000Pro feels like a complete headphone in that regard and like the Hedd, the sound has body and is beautifully musical and engaging.
Try the D8000 pads; they're silky smooth.

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,074 of 4,880
[
It would be nice to discuss which hp amps will bring out the best of the D8000/Pro.
I myself use a Questyle 12 CMA and although I am quite happy with it, I am curious how the D8000/will scale with "better", a bit more powerful amps.
Both have received phantastic reviews recently in two German publications, but I myself alas have not yet been able to audition those amps with my Final D8000 Pro.
I currently run my d8000 pros with a cayin ha-300 and burl b2 bomber dac. It's currently my favorite setup of all time :).

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,075 of 4,880

I use the Ray Samuels Apache amp, balanced.

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,076 of 4,880
I'm running D8000 through the Ampsandsound/ZMF Pendant; while I do think the D8000 benefits from strong balanced drive from my experience, the Pendant has a ton of power and it takes a little bit of the edge off the D8000. Solid pairing, thus far.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,079 of 4,880
Try the D8000 pads; they're silky smooth.

I heard the D8000 pads are too soft and lead to the headphone kind of falling down and putting pressure on the upper ears? Do the pads touch your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back