Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #362 of 4,852
Buffer I only heard the d8000 a bit so I can't answer you but I would love more impressions. How do they compare to other totl headphones? Also how are they comfort wise? Do the cups touch your ears at all.

I have not done too many direct comparisons but these headphones align with my sonic preferences. They are bold, vibrant, clear, bombastic, punchy, and have a sense of realism. they have a big sound, and their imaging is reasonably good. I do think the width of the soundstage is good too. As I mentioned in my previous post, they do have a slightly elevated midbass. This probably contributes to the visceral feeling with rock that makes other headphones sound anemic and lifeless. But oddly enough, its on calmer music that the prominent midbass can detract from the overall clarity and sound. Midbass quality is good. it is tight and dynamic. I would not say it bleeds into the midrange but it can overpower the midrange just a bit at times. I have a friend who has heard these and he doesn't care for the treble quality thus far (I'm still burning these in) but I like the treble and feel the overall sound of the D8000 is crisp and clean, with a slight warmth and roundness. The sound never becomes shrill, so you can turn these up loud if you care to do so but watch your hearing, of course. To sound their best, these require a really high quality and powerful amp. the D8000 is finicky. I like them with my GS-X mk2 and my Woo 5LE, but I haven't liked their overall sound on other amps as the midbass quality, clarity, and warmth become problematic for me. I think the D8000 is revealing of upstream gear. For example, the Schiit Jot has the power to control and drive the headphones well, but the D8000 reveals a slight grayness which the amp suffers from compared to something like the GS-X. While the D8000 isn't the clearest when compared to some other flagships, I'd still characterize it as satisfyingly clear and it also somehow enables me to hear detail in music that other headphones simply do not reveal.

You asked me to compare to some other headphones. I like the Susvara. It has a more airy, relaxed sound. it is also slightly clearer, cleaner, and maybe more refined. While tonal balance is ok it is one of those headphones that sounds anemic in direct comparison when playing hard-hitting rock n' roll. the Susvara sounds like an audiophile headphone where the very slight embellishment pf the D8000 sounds more real and live to me. I also feel that even though the Susvara is cleaner, I can hear more detail with the D8000 but I struggle to explain why. Overall, I prefer the D8000 for its midrange vibrancy, dynamic punch, and more lively sound.

Compared to the Utopia, that's a tough call. The Utopia is clearer and sharper sounding. It's brighter in the upper midrange. I consider the Utopia too bright (by a hair) in the upper midrange. The Utopia has great dynamics and a slightly forward sound. But the D8000 improves on the deficiencies. I always wanted the Utopia to have a very slightly fuller bass and I thought it could sound a bit too bright. The D8000 in direct compare highlights those flaws in the Utopia. The Utopia can sound like a tinny radio at times (perhaps a bit of an overstatement) compared to the fuller sounding D8000. I should also mention that the D8000 may have a little bloat in the lower midrange. Normally, I wouldn't like that in a headphone but with the D8000 I think it works because it is subtle and seems natural. It does contribute to a slight loss in clarity but it creates a richer, fuller, lifelike, more intimate sound. The Utopia and D8000 are very competitive in overall performance, but different. The Utopia is more analytical and audiophile, the D8000 is more round (thicker, fuller. less clear and concise/sharp). The D8000 sounds more live. I prefer the D8000 maybe 6 or 7 songs out of 10. Of course, that somewhat depends on the genre I'm listening to. My tastes are broad and I like Rock, Metal, Orchestral, Jazz, and easy listening. When the D8000 loses to Utopia in a direct compare, it's not by much. Usually when it wins it's a close call in preference. But on occasion the D8000 can sound substantially better (when it highlights the tinniness of the Utopia) and I cannot say that the Utopia ever really sounds substantially better. Where the Utopia really gains my preference though is in the fact that it is indeed clearer, and it is revealing of upstream gear, but not nearly as finicky with amplification.

I should compare the D8000 to another headphone, but you will think I'm nuts. I like, no love, the AR-H1. I like it better than the Susvara and almost as much as my Utopia. I feel it does orchestral and jazz sax and trumpets better than the D8000. The Accoustic Research is also extremely balanced sounding and, ironically, that is why it loses to the D8000 after many hours of comparison. For all I've said about the slightly bloated midrange or slightly elevated midbass of the D8000, I still consider it to be, overall, one of the more neutral and natural headphones out there. The midbass is full, but I wouldn't describe the midbass as overly plump and in many cases it does not sound over emphasized. Its only readily apparent on some music, probably standing out more on music that already has a slightly emphasized bass line. There is a slight warmth in the midrange that presents a full, intimate sound. The upper midrange is always present, just not excessive like the Utopia. And I personally think the treble is natural. So even though one of my highest priorities is a neutral tonal balance, and I typically prefer brightness over warmth, the D8000 can compete with other more neutral headphones like the AR H1 or Utopia or Susvara quite well. And back to the irony - the midbass, the one flaw I find with the D8000, is what enables it to beat these other headphones. It simply creates a visceral bass impact that is more true to life than these other headphones that come off sounding more like high-end speakers. Incidentally, if we are talking value, to me the AR H1 beats them all by a significant margin since it is only a few hundred dollars and manages to compete in terms of absolute sound quality (when using a better-than-stock quality cable).

Almost forgot... regarding comfort. the D8000 is heavy. It doesn't clamp too hard which means you may not wish to move your head too much while wearing them, but it stays on reasonably well. Because the clamping force isn't excessive and the pads don't overheat my ears, I can wear these for several hours with no problem. But they are certainly not the most comfortable headphones. Somehow, I do not find the weight as objectionable as an Audeze LCD3. Also, I have had no problem with my ears touching. I also do not like the sliding mechanism, but somehow the cups haven't slid on me like a Grado might do.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #363 of 4,852
Great post buffer. A lot of good info that I agree with.

There is a bloom in the midbass that can become intrusive, either based on the music/gear pairing or subjective preference. This also makes it more enjoyable/lively for some, especially with certain types of music like rock where D8000 brings that strong drive and big sound. With the emphasized midbass quality, it still sounds very clear and detailed and smooth and refined. It does not make the headphone sound overly thick or slow - more like warm, rounded and big, but still fast. Voices and instruments sound realistic and nuanced. Voices have a splash of sweetness and ring through clearly. Nice extension on both ends. Sibilance is not an issue and while you can crank the volume up on these to rock out, low level listening is also very enjoyable.

I also tried it with GSXmk2 which I think is a good combo but perhaps a tiny bit too much zing for me. With D8000 I generally prefer clean and more neutral amps or directly from dac/amp combos. Solid state seems to keep the bass in check but a good tube amp does sound lovely sometimes, with some added weight, fuller sound that is more 3D and enveloping.

In the end, D8000 may not do any one thing amazingly well (others may disagree) but it has a very technically-capable and focused sound that is different enough from other high end models. Lovely texture in mids, smooth/refined, different bass presentation, overall pleasing sound that is both fun and capable.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #364 of 4,852

There is a bloom in the midbass that can become intrusive, either based on the music/gear pairing or subjective preference. This also makes it more enjoyable/lively for some, especially with certain types of music like rock where D8000 brings that strong drive and big sound. With the emphasized midbass quality, it still sounds very clear and detailed and smooth and refined. It does not make the headphone sound overly thick or slow - more like warm, rounded and big, but still fast. Voices and instruments sound realistic and nuanced. Voices have a splash of sweetness and ring through clearly. Nice extension on both ends. Sibilance is not an issue and while you can crank the volume up on these to rock out, low level listening is also very enjoyable.

I also tried it with GSXmk2 which I think is a good combo but perhaps a tiny bit too much zing for me. With D8000 I generally prefer clean and more neutral amps or directly from dac/amp combos. Solid state seems to keep the bass in check but a good tube amp does sound lovely sometimes, with some added weight, fuller sound that is more 3D and enveloping.

In the end, D8000 may not do any one thing amazingly well (others may disagree) but it has a very technically-capable and focused sound that is different enough from other high end models. Lovely texture in mids, smooth/refined, different bass presentation, overall pleasing sound that is both fun and capable.

The two posts above are excellent. Head-fi, and other enthusiast boards are interesting places. They are great places to help us make decisions relating to purchases when we can't demo equipment ourselves. But they are also forums where people seem to be externally validated by getting others to make the same choices or have the same tastes that they themselves have. What really matters is that we understand our own tastes, and find the equipment that matches them. We also need to be aware that all of our tastes change with time and exposure.
That being off my chest, I think personal HiFi is a bit like choosing skis; you aren't going to find a designated bump ski that also is an ideal GS ski. As such, I find it hard to find a headphone that is ideal for all tastes or genres.

I chose the D8000 because I like warmth with inner detail. I also wear glasses, and the fact it is in not critical of it's seal was important to me. I've listened to a few other TOTL headphones, and like them for various reasons.
I'd have to say the Utopia is like many Focal home speakers (very fast and hyperdetailed). I don't find them enjoyable. I do very much like the HiFi Man HE2K and the Meze Emperean.

Some of the critique of the D8000 might be solved with a cable upgrade. I A/B'd the D8000 (at RMAF) with the stock vs the Final silver coated cable. The cable upgrade spread the soundstage, made the center image more focused, and added some treble detail. I feel that it quelled some of the upper bass bloom. I think these were assets for this headphone. It's around $500. I'm planning on getting this someday .

I agree that the D8000 is an outstanding headphone and anyone that owns it should it be pleased with it. I'm a hard bop fan, and it works very well for me

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #365 of 4,852
The two posts above are excellent. Head-fi, and other enthusiast boards are interesting places. They are great places to help us make decisions relating to purchases when we can't demo equipment ourselves. But they are also forums where people seem to be externally validated by getting others to make the same choices or have the same tastes that they themselves have. What really matters is that we understand our own tastes, and find the equipment that matches them. We also need to be aware that all of our tastes change with time and exposure.
That being off my chest, I think personal HiFi is a bit like choosing skis; you aren't going to find a designated bump ski that also is an ideal GS ski. As such, I find it hard to find a headphone that is ideal for all tastes or genres.

I chose the D8000 because I like warmth with inner detail. I also wear glasses, and the fact it is in not critical of it's seal was important to me. I've listened to a few other TOTL headphones, and like them for various reasons.
I'd have to say the Utopia is like many Focal home speakers (very fast and hyperdetailed). I don't find them enjoyable. I do very much like the HiFi Man HE2K and the Meze Emperean.

Some of the critique of the D8000 might be solved with a cable upgrade. I A/B'd the D8000 (at RMAF) with the stock vs the Final silver coated cable. The cable upgrade spread the soundstage, made the center image more focused, and added some treble detail. I feel that it quelled some of the upper bass bloom. I think these were assets for this headphone. It's around $500. I'm planning on getting this someday .

I agree that the D8000 is an outstanding headphone and anyone that owns it should it be pleased with it. I'm a hard bop fan, and it works very well for me

I was just pricing out the balanced silver coated cable so I appreciate that specific insight. I almost pulled the trigger, but then began to think ...for that price, or maybe suubtsantially less, maybe there are other cables that would be competitive. I never actually heard the cable from Final Audio first hand.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #366 of 4,852

I would very much like any suggestions you have on amplification. I like the GS-X, but I've been toying with the idea of buying a different amp. Clean and neutral would be perfect if you have one you think surpasses the GS-X MK2. I have lots of dynamic and planar headphones, some of which are very power hungry so I would like significant wattage.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #367 of 4,852
I was just pricing out the balanced silver coated cable so I appreciate that specific insight. I almost pulled the trigger, but then began to think ...for that price, or maybe suubtsantially less, maybe there are other cables that would be competitive. I never actually heard the cable from Final Audio first hand.

That's the exact reason I haven't purchased...

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #369 of 4,852
I would very much like any suggestions you have on amplification. I like the GS-X, but I've been toying with the idea of buying a different amp. Clean and neutral would be perfect if you have one you think surpasses the GS-X MK2. I have lots of dynamic and planar headphones, some of which are very power hungry so I would like significant wattage.

I've heard the D8000 (loved it) and own several planars planars that like power, I can strongly recommend the Violectric V281. It has more than enough power for any headphone I own, including the power-hog planar, the ZMF Ori. It sounds terrific, also has by far the greatest I/O capacity & gain adjustment flexibility I've ever encountered. For example, it has separate muting for headphone output vs preamp output (either or both outputs can be muted). That's amazing.

The V281 is the very high-level "swiss army knife" of amp/preamps. It's my day-to-day preamp as well as an extremely reliable/informative HP amp.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #370 of 4,852

The only time I heard the d8000 it had that silver cable and I just have a feeling its what made the headphone sound so crystalline and incredible to me.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #371 of 4,852

The best synergy for me is with Phonitor X, usually with matrix feature engaged. I own GSXmk2 and heard V281 a few times.

The GSXmk2 is a beast with more power than Phonitor but seems to add a bit of aggressiveness to the upper mids/treble that I don't prefer. But it grips the bass by the balls and ramps up the energy and dimensionality. I think the combo with D8000 can be just a bit too much sometimes but for shorter bursts it is damn fun.

I enjoyed the V281 a lot and have been considering it for a while. Compared to Phonitor, it has more power and is fully balanced. If you're considering german solid state with a good reputation from pro audio, these two units are contenders. I don't need fully balanced, nor the extra power, and wanted the visual meters and matrix/crossfeed capabilities. The V281 did not sound as clean or fast, but had more force/drive behind it's sound. The Phonitor seems more relaxed while still being more transparent and fast - more understated and elegant to me. Take these opinions FWIW as I did not try V281 at home. I do think it is an excellent solid state amp.

To me Phonitor is the more transparent and tonally correct amp compared to GSXmk2 and V281. I've tested this with Dave and iFi Pro iDSD.

I've never heard the Pro iCAN but I really enjoy the synergy of D8000 directly out of Pro iDSD so Pro iCAN may be an interesting combo. Straight out of Pro iDSD: playful, punchy, dynamic with good resolution.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #372 of 4,852
I've heard the D8000 (loved it) and own several planars planars that like power, I can strongly recommend the Violectric V281. It has more than enough power for any headphone I own, including the power-hog planar, the ZMF Ori. It sounds terrific, also has by far the greatest I/O capacity & gain adjustment flexibility I've ever encountered. For example, it has separate muting for headphone output vs preamp output (either or both outputs can be muted). That's amazing.

The V281 is the very high-level "swiss army knife" of amp/preamps. It's my day-to-day preamp as well as an extremely reliable/informative HP amp.
just made an inquiry about the Nimbus US4+ ....have had my eye on that in the last couple of months. never heard it though, but supposedly it is high power and favorable to the GS-X and Woo Audio 5LE, at least according to one headfi reviewer.

I don't think it would be a good match, but the very best headphone amp I ever heard, cause it really stood out unlike most amps to me, was the Apex Teton - but it isn't a good match for all headphones. I'm also considering HugoTT2 + MSALER - so many decisions, so little money :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #373 of 4,852
I just took delivery of this cable. It's impressive physically. I will report my impressions. When listening to it at RMAF, I felt it sharpened imaging a bit. My combination of a Sony 1Z and Sony TA amp combine warm with warm, and a relaxed soundstage. I'll be interested in the sound of this....

http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/headphone-cable.html

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #375 of 4,852
I just took delivery of this cable. It's impressive physically. I will report my impressions. When listening to it at RMAF, I felt it sharpened imaging a bit. My combination of a Sony 1Z and Sony TA amp combine warm with warm, and a relaxed soundstage. I'll be interested in the sound of this....

http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/headphone-cable.html
Bought the same cable as well. Currently running it in. I can improvement in terms of of a slightly larger sound stage and imaging. Will post more once it is run in.

Attachments

• IMG_6853.jpg
    IMG_6853.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back