Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 25, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #468 of 4,849
I had an anxious moment listening to some bass heavy music at what I thought was a reasonable level. I started noticing a faint clicking noise, and when I took the D8000 off my head, there was heavy distortion coming through the back side of the cups.

One of the things that happens when listening to headphones with such low distortion as the D8000 is there is a tendency—at least with me—to listen at louder levels. Perceived loudness is a function of distortion content, the more distortion at a given volume level, the louder the sound appears.

The D8000 has such low distortion, partly due to the inherent nature of planar designs, partly due to the proprietary design by final, that I do listen at higher levels than with my other headphones.

Anyway, my D8000 is fine, and I”m now tuned in to the idea that no matter how good the sound is, I need to be careful with my output levels. :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #469 of 4,849
I had an anxious moment listening to some bass heavy music at what I thought was a reasonable level. I started noticing a faint clicking noise, and when I took the D8000 off my head, there was heavy distortion coming through the back side of the cups.

One of the things that happens when listening to headphones with such low distortion as the D8000 is there is a tendency—at least with me—to listen at louder levels. Perceived loudness is a function of distortion content, the more distortion at a given volume level, the louder the sound appears.

The D8000 has such low distortion, partly due to the inherent nature of planar designs, partly due to the proprietary design by final, that I do listen at higher levels than with my other headphones.

Anyway, my D8000 is fine, and I”m now tuned in to the idea that no matter how good the sound is, I need to be careful with my output levels. :L3000:

So the clicking noise was distortion? Nothing is wrong with your drivers?

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #470 of 4,849
So the clicking noise was distortion? Nothing is wrong with your drivers?

The clicking noise was likely the driver membranes hitting some part of the driver structure ... perhaps someone with more expertise can chime in here. Anyway, no distortion, just clicking. Only when I took the headphones off did I hear distortion from the rear of the cups. Kind of strange that I wouldn’t hear distortion when on my head as well.

I’m listening now and everything sounds as it should. I just have to be more careful with that volume knob.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #471 of 4,849
The clicking noise was likely the driver membranes hitting some part of the driver structure ... perhaps someone with more expertise can chime in here. Anyway, no distortion, just clicking. Only when I took the headphones off did I hear distortion from the rear of the cups. Kind of strange that I wouldn’t hear distortion when on my head as well.

I’m listening now and everything sounds as it should. I just have to be more careful with that volume knob.

But that’s exactly what the tech inside the d8000 is supposed to prevent: the driver from touching any part of the magnet structure (air film dampening system).

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #472 of 4,849
I got to enjoy the d8000 at an audio show recently and i enjoyed the sound very much. The only qualms i have with them is the build + fitment. I had to adjust the cups about 55% on each side. Almost middle of the yokes. The slider was very loose fitting and the pads werent very comfortable. The material, although plush, was itchy against my skin. Do you guys know if theres possibly a revised or updated model to the d8000? Maybe leather pads or hybrid pads. And a new headband system?

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #473 of 4,849
But that’s exactly what the tech inside the d8000 is supposed to prevent: the driver from touching any part of the magnet structure (air film dampening system).

Yes, I recall reading about the novel driver design.

I think I just had the volume up too high when a song came on with heavy bass notes. It sounds identical to when I did my review.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #474 of 4,849
Yes, I recall reading about the novel driver design.

I think I just had the volume up too high when a song came on with heavy bass notes. It sounds identical to when I did my review.
I also had this problem when I still have them. When you turn the volume way up to ear-splitting levels, the drivers would actually hit the magnets causing the headphone to make an unpleasant buzzing sound. A friend of mine also have the D8000 and his pair has the exact same problem. There isn't really a solution other than to turn the volume down. Otherwise if you really like to challenge physics then your ears would expire much sooner than the drivers would :darthsmile:

Oh and RIP RazorDogAudio. Their pricing was damn unbeatable when they were still in business.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #475 of 4,849
I also had this problem when I still have them. When you turn the volume way up to ear-splitting levels, the drivers would actually hit the magnets causing the headphone to make an unpleasant buzzing sound. A friend of mine also have the D8000 and his pair has the exact same problem. There isn't really a solution other than to turn the volume down. Otherwise if you really like to challenge physics then your ears would expire much sooner than the drivers would :darthsmile:

Thank you for reporting this. It eases my mind that I likely did not damage my D8000. I’m actually glad this happened since it now reminds me to be more careful with the volume. The D8000 is so clean to my ears, it seductively gets me thinking more is better.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #476 of 4,849
I got to enjoy the d8000 at an audio show recently and i enjoyed the sound very much. The only qualms i have with them is the build + fitment. I had to adjust the cups about 55% on each side. Almost middle of the yokes. The slider was very loose fitting and the pads werent very comfortable. The material, although plush, was itchy against my skin. Do you guys know if theres possibly a revised or updated model to the d8000? Maybe leather pads or hybrid pads. And a new headband system?

Regarding the pads, they do soften up with use, so not itchy unless you have a sensitivity to this type of fabric.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #477 of 4,849
Thank you for reporting this. It eases my mind that I likely did not damage my D8000. I’m actually glad this happened since it now reminds me to be more careful with the volume. The D8000 is so clean to my ears, it seductively gets me thinking more is better.
Naw don't worry, planar in general handles power very well cuz most power gets converted to heat. In the extreme case of HE6 which I still own, only 3% of the power actually gets converted to sound, the rest are either lost in heat or having a hard time moving a very heavy driver. It's the only headphone that doesn't hiss at all when I connect it to a 100W speaker amp. Mind blowing stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #479 of 4,849

My sliders aren’t loose at all. They have never moved since I first bought them. I also don’t find the earpad material itchy at all. I wouldn’t mind if the earpad openings were a little bigger, but it’s not a big deal since a good seal isn’t needed with the d8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back